Can USD be used in Canada ports?

Trish Traveler

On 8/4/2022 at 7:20 PM, shof515 said:

When i was at Halifax back in May, USD dollars was no longer accepted. everywhere now is using credit cards

Not sure where USD$ cash were not accepted. Tips are graciously accepted in USD and at many/most business especially in the tourism sector will accept USD. You might not receive par but it will have a higher value than Canadian $. Also during some cruise days, SOME businesses will have  american cash and give your change in US.  It is very wrong to say USD are not accepted

• Like 2

On 8/4/2022 at 4:57 PM, edgee said:

Canada is not like the Caribbean where people often use U.S. Dollars in lieu of local currency. Good grief people. It is not hard! Use your credit card for most purchases and get less than $100 Canadian (or appropriate small amount) out of an ATM machine to use for tips and small cab fares...etc. 

We have a specific checking account with a debit card that we use only when traveling. The associated company pays for all fees when we make a withdrawal in the foreign country. This is the ONLY debit card we use, otherwise, we use credit cards. The ATM cash withdrawal is handy  for the smaller things, gratuities, etc.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:31 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

They would be happy for your USD donation to their economy.

Indeed!   A few years ago, on our first visit to Halifax, we headed over to the taxi/tour area near the pier, and asked one of the drivers what it would cost for several hours, including a visit to Peggy's Cove and the Fairview Cemetery.   He said "two hundred dollars."   (I might not be recalling the correct amount, but that's beside the point.)  I said, "Canadian, right?"  And he said, "either that or American."   LOL!!! 

16 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

A few years ago, on our first visit to Halifax, we headed over to the taxi/tour area near the pier, and asked one of the drivers what it would cost for several hours * * * He said "two hundred dollars." * * * I said, "Canadian, right?"  And he said, "either that or American."

I have always assumed that when a price is quoted, without a clear indication of a specific foreign money amount, that the price is a domestic money amount. Alas, my assumption has not always been correct, particularly in tourist-infested areas. I have seen that to be the case in the Caribbean where dollar-denominated prices implied U.S. dollars, and was rebuffed when offering domestic Eastern Caribbean dollars (exchange rate is XCD 2.70 = USD 1.00). Also in Belize (exchange rate is BZD 2.00 = USD 1.00). On the other hand, in Mexico (where the "$" sign or "M.N." is used to denote Mexican pesos), I have found prices in U.S. dollars to be clearly marked, perhaps because U.S. dollars are more stable than Mexican pesos and are used frequently for domestic transactions by Mexican nationals. In Canada, I would always assume that "dollars" means Canadian dollars unless explicitly stated otherwise. I would also assume that most commercial establishments would accept U.S. dollars (at a reasonable premium rather than at par), as most commercial establishments know the current exchange rate as a matter of business course.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 6:38 AM, shipgeeks said:

Or exchange some at Guest Services.

Why?  You would likely get an awful rate of exchange (and might need to wait in a queue).  Just use credit cards (widely accepted in Canada) or a local ATM.

Hank

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Why?  You would likely get an awful rate of exchange (and might need to wait in a queue).  Just use credit cards (widely accepted in Canada) or a local ATM.

Hank

No, have never had to wait in a queue.  I just wanted a few $$ to cover incidentals ashore, smaller amounts than I would use a credit card for.  Very worth it for the convenience, and we don't use ATMs.