The official reason for the lack of turndown service.

MX-Drew

My daughter in law had cause to write to P&O customer services after a cruise on Azura and one of the items she raised was the lack of turndown service in the evening. Here is the official reason from P&O.

The turn down service in the cabin is no long (sic) taking place as housekeeping staff are being deployed to alternative areas of the ship. This is to complete a strict two stage sanitisation process before and after dining, in between theatre shows and around high traffic areas of the ship. Should you wish next time you are onboard to receive a chocolate or fresh towels this can be requested using the phone in the cabin.

I was on the same cruise as my daughter in law and I never saw any sanitisation at any time, let along a two stage one between theatre shows and as for dinner, well it was freedom dinning so how could that work?

I also like the assumption that she will sail with P&O again!

More rubbish from P&O.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

My daughter in law had cause to write to P&O customer services after a cruise on Azura and one of the items she raised was the lack of turndown service in the evening. Here is the official reason from P&O.

The turn down service in the cabin is no long (sic) taking place as housekeeping staff are being deployed to alternative areas of the ship. This is to complete a strict two stage sanitisation process before and after dining, in between theatre shows and around high traffic areas of the ship. Should you wish next time you are onboard to receive a chocolate or fresh towels this can be requested using the phone in the cabin.

I was on the same cruise as my daughter in law and I never saw any sanitisation at any time, let along a two stage one between theatre shows and as for dinner, well it was freedom dinning so how could that work?

I also like the assumption that she will sail with P&O again!

More rubbish from P&O.

Celebrity do turndown and Chocs. Obviously the Chocolate crisis has passed them by.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Celebrity do turndown and Chocs. Obviously the Chocolate crisis has passed them by.

Not just any old chocs either. On posh nights we got little boxes of Belgian truffles - yummy!

• Like 2

Think we can do without the chocolates on the bed , never short of food on a cruise ship, with regards to the lack of turndown we just leave the bedside lights on when we go out for the evening and pulling a cover back before getting into bed is something we do every night at home, these are two things we haven't missed whatsoever 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Not just any old chocs either. On posh nights we got little boxes of Belgian truffles - yummy!

Looking at Edge for next summer. 60% off 2nd guest, Is it real?. We will see, but proper Belgian truffles may tip the decision.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Think we can do without the chocolates on the bed , never short of food on a cruise ship, with regards to the lack of turndown we just leave the bedside lights on when we go out for the evening and pulling a cover back before getting into bed is something we do every night at home, these are two things we haven't missed whatsoever 

It is not about the turning down of the bed or even the chocolate, we tend to use the coffee and tea in the cabin during the day so it is nice to have that topped up for the morning when we also have a drink (health reasons).

It is also nice to have the bathroom tidied etc. Yes we can do it ourselves but part of a cruise for us is the pampering.

Also I was pointing out the complete lies P&O are telling people.

• Like 10

That reply seems to indicate that the turndown service is no more. However if all the stewards were being redeployed to extra cleaning duties then that might be worthwhile, but I doubt it is.  In fact unless they have changed the stewards hours completely, it seems very unlikely.  They previously operated from about 5:30-8:30, however the first Theatre shows normally finish at 9:15, and fixed dining gap is normally 8:00-8:30. It all sounds fishy to me, which is now normal for P&O.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Fred have continued with a turn down service throughout and we even had one on a recent cruise with Ambassador (not that we will be returning to the latter, for other reasons)  Only got chocs on Fred which we do like to take home and dip into from time to time.  For us it is about changing any towels we have left on the floor though and dry off the shower.  Finding a light or two left on on the cabin has always niggled us as we do not see the need for the waste of power since we are perfectly capable of flicking a light switch as we enter the cabin.

I had seen some mention of P&O only making the beds once every three days when the linen is changed, though does sound strange.  Is there any truth in this, or is the morning cabin service as you would expect pre covid?  We have not been on P&O since the pandemic, though have a few over next winter, starting late Sept.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

That reply seems to indicate that the turndown service is no more. However if all the stewards were being redeployed to extra cleaning duties then that might be worthwhile, but I doubt it is.  In fact unless they have changed the stewards hours completely, it seems very unlikely.  They previously operated from about 5:30-8:30, however the first Theatre shows normally finish at 9:15, and fixed dining gap is normally 8:00-8:30. It all sounds fishy to me, which is now normal for P&O.

Didn't know the dancers turned down the beds, or have I misunderstood again.🤣

On our last two cruises, Britannia Sept 21 and December 21, the staff were constantly sanitising public areas. We joked about it being a good chance of a catch up for the staff as they were generally in twos and chatting all the time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

It is not about the turning down of the bed or even the chocolate, we tend to use the coffee and tea in the cabin during the day so it is nice to have that topped up for the morning when we also have a drink (health reasons).

It is also nice to have the bathroom tidied etc. Yes we can do it ourselves but part of a cruise for us is the pampering.

Also I was pointing out the complete lies P&O are telling people.

To be perfectly honest I cannot remember ever using the tea or coffee facilities in any of our cabins on any cruise ,were never in it , and if anybody knows my other half they will tell you that the steward may as well not come into our cabin, its kept just as our house is,  they must love ours as five minutes and its done  , apart from towel and bedding changes , our travelling companions even told the last one not to bother as they had done all that needed doing that day ( he did still go in ).

As for P and O telling lies would agree they bend the truth to breaking point, in lots of areas

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Camberley said:

Quite. But then, with certain cruisers who have disgusting sanitary habits........you, madam, who fingered that stale roll in the buffet and put it back. And you, sir, who lingered far too long by the hot plates, coughing and dribbling in your own world of unhygienic ignorance 

Yuk 😡

2 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

To be perfectly honest I cannot remember ever using the tea or coffee facilities in any of our cabins on any cruise

We occasionally make an early morning cup of tea, or DW makes the  tea while I go on a foraging trip to the buffet for breakast goodies, but I agree, other than that we do not normally bother either. 

31 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Yuk 😡

Do true. But some folk do these things. If I received a bottle of house wine for each unhygienic thing by passengers noted just on this cruise........and someone sneezing over the desserts needs either chucking overboard or made to watch the back catalogue of Ludlow's P&O videos on a loop

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We occasionally make an early morning cup of tea, or DW makes the  tea while I go on a foraging trip to the buffet for breakast goodies, but I agree, other than that we do not normally bother either. 

Due to medicinal requirements we have to have a drink before taking medication. Also it can be nice to relax on the balcony with a coffee while the DW is getting ready for dinner. 

The point of my post was not for a debate on who wants room service but the lame reason being given why it's not there. Why not just say it is a cost cutting exercise oh no they can't say that.

• Like 4