The official reason for the lack of turndown service.

MX-Drew

2 hours ago, Pippa04 said:

This is the problem to my mind. If you pay your money when things such as the turndown service are standard you have every right to expect them when you take your holiday. 

As a sporting comparison,  many football fans of Norwich, Watford and Burnley bought and paid for their season tickets before the end of last season, and hoped they would be watching Premier league football tomorrow. 

They won't  be getting what they hoped for, and they won't be getting any refunds either.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As a sporting comparison,  many football fans of Norwich, Watford and Burnley bought and paid for their season tickets before the end of last season, and hoped they would be watching Premier league football tomorrow. 

They won't  be getting what they hoped for, and they won't be getting any refunds either.

Not really a comparison though is it?  They knew there was a distinct possibility they wouldn't be watching their team getting thrashed virtually every week in the Premier League (particularly the Norwich fans!)  Now they'll be seeing more matches for the same money with the expectation that they'll have more chance of winning them too.

8 minutes ago, Pippa04 said:

Not really a comparison though is it?  They knew there was a distinct possibility they wouldn't be watching their team getting thrashed virtually every week in the Premier League (particularly the Norwich fans!)  Now they'll be seeing more matches for the same money with the expectation that they'll have more chance of winning them too.

Ypu must be a Man U fan, always looking on the bright side. 😊

54 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Personally I don't get why so many get hung up about the turn down service. We had it on Iona in June, but it seems such an insignificant gesture to me - certainly nothing to get upset about. 

It is not the turn down, it is the clearing and replacing of used towels. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Personally I don't get why so many get hung up about the turn down service. We had it on Iona in June, but it seems such an insignificant gesture to me - certainly nothing to get upset about. 

If all the little niceties of cruising are systematically cut away then it is no more or less than a floating hotel. To be honest that’s where it seems to be heading, for P&O at least.

I understand that it is insignificant to some and that’s fine for them but when they cut something you value, then you might get it.

• Like 6

Came off venture last Saturday, cabin steward we saw him on the Saturday of embarkation didn’t see him anymore. The only extra cleaning that we saw was on the last week on the Wednesday when the captain announced in his sailway speech re more cases of covid in the uk and recommended wearing masks around the ship, that’s when more cleaning was going on. I think there must have been covid on ship but no one would tell you this. Saturday disembarkation day I woke with headache, sore throat, tested positive on the sunday.

11 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

So let’s have evening service and no morning. Would you be happy with wet towels hanging around all day. 

Wouldn't bother me one bit.  I hang the towels up and they dry.  I don't need towels every day.

• Like 4

Our towels were changed morning and evening on Princess last month even though DH had told the cabin steward that he didn't need to come to do the turn down in the evenings.  I didn't notice any extra cleaning in the public areas of the ships, though it may have taken place overnight.   My main problem was that passengers in the buffet area were picking up things such as rolls with their hands and then putting them down again and none of the staff were saying anything to them. Unfortunately it was a port intensive cruise so most days the only option for lunch was the buffet or hamburgers and hot dogs, pizza slices or room service.

3 hours ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Personally I don't get why so many get hung up about the turn down service.

Most of the luxury land based hotels I use home and abroad have now reverted to evening turndown.  Last year at a b&b in Dartmouth we returned to find the owners had carried out turn down and left us a box of locally made sweets on our pillow.  My Celebrity and Princess cruises both offered turn down every night.

Those that don't like it can presumably say they don't require it but truthfully many do and really if that was part of the offering making people feel special then P&O should bring it back.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Most of the luxury land based hotels I use home and abroad have now reverted to evening turndown.  Last year at a b&b in Dartmouth we returned to find the owners had carried out turn down and left us a box of locally made sweets on our pillow.  My Celebrity and Princess cruises both offered turn down every night.

Those that don't like it can presumably say they don't require it but truthfully many do and really if that was part of the offering making people feel special then P&O should bring it back.

I travelled extensively with my job for 20 years and numerous times since I retired not once have I ever come across any hotel or B&B offering a turndown service or leaving chocolates on the bed. One hotel in Edinburgh however did leave a box of Walker’s Shortbread in the room once. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I travelled extensively with my jobi for 20 years and numerous times since I retired not once have I ever come across any hotel or B&B offering a turndown service or leaving chocolates on the bed. One hotel in Edinburgh however did leave a box of Walker’s Shortbread in the room once. 

I also travelled extensively for work and never had a turn down service but

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It is not the turn down, it is the clearing and replacing of used towels. 

Exactly. I was pleased that this service was provided on Enchanted Princess recently and I really hope that P&O begin to do it again. 

• Like 2

Must admit I was a little surprised our towels weren't replaced in the evening, but it was a kind of shrug your shoulders type moment - oh well there are still some clean ones there to use and know full well they will be getting replaced in the morning.

In the evening, we would be out of room by half 6 and not return until somewhere between 11-12 and straight to bed. Up in the morning, breakfast and by then the room would probably have been made up. So the towels being replaced would have a very minimal if any practical benefit.

The turndown service to me - absolutely not bothered. Surely just a superficial gesture to somehow make people feel important? If the staff's time can be better spent doing other tasks then isnt that a good thing? It's not as if P&O are now having the stewards just sat around not doing anything when they would normally be going back into the rooms is it?

Thinking of things practically - Are people saying A) The staff should work even more hours? B) Have more staff onboard than they had previously due to the extra tasks or C) Not do the additional tasks? Surely A + B would not be possible. Leaving C - people really want to prioritise towel changing and a turndown service over P&O doing everything they can to keep people safe onboard as cruising is taking its 1st tentative steps to regain people's confidence after what has happened in the last 2 years?

Everyone was sick on board, but at least the corner of the bed was turned down and a chocolate was left for me - Sounds fantastic.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JDB78 said:

Must admit I was a little surprised our towels weren't replaced in the evening, but it was a kind of shrug your shoulders type moment - oh well there are still some clean ones there to use and know full well they will be getting replaced in the morning.

In the evening, we would be out of room by half 6 and not return until somewhere between 11-12 and straight to bed. Up in the morning, breakfast and by then the room would probably have been made up. So the towels being replaced would have a very minimal if any practical benefit.

The turndown service to me - absolutely not bothered. Surely just a superficial gesture to somehow make people feel important? If the staff's time can be better spent doing other tasks then isnt that a good thing? It's not as if P&O are now having the stewards just sat around not doing anything when they would normally be going back into the rooms is it?

Thinking of things practically - Are people saying A) The staff should work even more hours? B) Have more staff onboard than they had previously due to the extra tasks or C) Not do the additional tasks? Surely A + B would not be possible. Leaving C - people really want to prioritise towel changing and a turndown service over P&O doing everything they can to keep people safe onboard as cruising is taking its 1st tentative steps to regain people's confidence after what has happened in the last 2 years?

Everyone was sick on board, but at least the corner of the bed was turned down and a chocolate was left for me - Sounds fantastic.

Other lines seem to be managing it?

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Recommend The Swan at Lavenham, Suffolk. Great evening service even in covid.  Also Stratton House, Bude and Carlyon Bay Hotel, St Austell.

I tend to use boutique type hotels when travelling alone and have found it quite common practice.  Street Barton House in Strete was the one who left the local sweets. 

Next week I'm staying in The Jockey Club rooms for two nights.  Obviously slightly different as it's a club, but turndown is always offered if required.  Mind you I'm slumming it in a Premier Inn near Audley End for the following two nights.

Prior to lockdown quite a few of the central London hotels we use offered it too. We are booked in The Reubens at ThecPalace in September and they send a requirements list on booking.  We have requested turndown.  

I must confess to actively seeking hotels who offer these services - I also love shoeshine as well!

Great selection of hotels, stayed in all but the one in abode, Jockey Club is great, if you like Indian food there is a great one round the corner, don’t be put off by the frontage. The walk down the corridor to breakfast with all the pictures is really interesting, enjoy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Exactly. I was pleased that this service was provided on Enchanted Princess recently and I really hope that P&O begin to do it again. 

Yes we have been on Princess recently. Turn down and replacing towels after showering done  by request and several people out and about cleaning rails and surfaces around the ship. I think P&O should be able to provide turn down if requested. 

• Like 3

I always liked the turn down service as it was something nice to have, and was pleasant to come back to a neatened cabin with the welcoming glow of the lamp. We used to save the chocolates and would eat them when we came home. 

It’s up to P&O how they deploy their staff, and there’s nothing wrong with clean surfaces around the ships. But the thing we can’t mention is airborne, so all the wiping in the world isn’t going to prevent the spread of that. If they were serious about stopping the spread of you know what, it would involve things like masks, distancing and ventilation 

• Like 6