NCL Air Fails

herbanrenewal

I've read so many horror stories of crazy air itineraries that I'm hesitant to take advantage of included airfare. My main concern isn't the inconveniences of some flights - but what happens if the scheduled airfare does not get you to port in time for your cruise? If you miss your cruise do they reimburse you for cruise and pre-paid extras? Im not referring to insurance that I would purchase, but what does the cruise line do with your money if the flights they arrange make you miss the cruise?

2 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

but what happens if the scheduled airfare does not get you to port in time for your cruise?

NCL won't intentionally book you on a flight that will cause you to miss your cruise.

• Haha 2

I wouldn't worry about the flight missing embarkation.  After our cruise to Greece last October I would have said that it was great taking advantage of NCL's air program.  But, after getting our itinerary for this Septembers Alaskan cruise I would take it back.  We have a 6:30am flight out of Jacksonville, Fl to get to Seattle the day before the cruise.  Coming back we leave Seattle at 11pm.  So the flight out is about 14 hours after disembarkation.  We get to Jacksonville about noon the next day.  Terrible flights.  Our friends traveling with us got great flights (they leave Jax at 9am and leave SEA at 11:30am).

Bottom line is that it's like a box of chocolates.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

NCL won't intentionally book you on a flight that will cause you to miss your cruise.

Same day flights could have a delay or cancellation by the airline. I had a Florida trip and the return flight was delayed then cancelled. We were  stuck at the airport for 36 hours. I'm 73. Sleeping on the floor at a crowded airport is NOT easy. But with no hotels within 40 miles having rooms available it was a nightmare.

But it was the end of the vacation and i don't work so timing wasn't critical. I can only imagine how much worse if at the start of a planned wonderful cruise. Even planning to arrive 1 day in advance I could have missed embarking.

If anyone knows what the cruise line does to compensate when cruiseline travel arrangements cause missing boarding  I'd like to know.

6 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

Same day flights could have a delay or cancellation by the airline. I had a Florida trip and the return flight was delayed then cancelled. We were  stuck at the airport for 36 hours. I'm 73. Sleeping on the floor at a crowded airport is NOT easy. But with no hotels within 40 miles having rooms available it was a nightmare.

But it was the end of the vacation and i don't work so timing wasn't critical. I can only imagine how much worse if at the start of a planned wonderful cruise. Even planning to arrive 1 day in advance I could have missed embarking.

If anyone knows what the cruise line does to compensate when cruiseline travel arrangements cause missing boarding  I'd like to know.

If, as you describe, a return flight was delayed and then cancelled, this would be the actions of the airline, not the cruiseline. Why would the cruiseline then have to compensate? Wouldn't any compensation need to come from the airline?

7 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

If, as you describe, a return flight was delayed and then cancelled, this would be the actions of the airline, not the cruiseline. Why would the cruiseline then have to compensate? Wouldn't any compensation need to come from the airline?

if the cruise line is the booking agent would they bear no responsibility to get you there on time?

1 minute ago, MotownVoice said:

Unreliable airlines is precisely why you WOULD let your cruiseline handle it.

If something happens, they fix it.

Thats what I want to know - What do they do to "handle it" when the airlines causes you to miss a cruise? 

if the cruise line is the booking agent would they bear no responsibility to get you there on time?

No, of course not. As the booking agent they have no control over airline operations.  They are no more responsible for a flight delay/cancellation than the cab company who took you to the airport.

As long as the booked flights are scheduled to get you there on time, they have fulfilled their obligation.

Thats what I want to know - What do they do to "handle it" when the airlines causes you to miss a cruise? 

Nothing. They have no control. If the airline causes you to miss your cruise, then it should be the airline who has to "handle it".

2 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

I've read so many horror stories of crazy air itineraries that I'm hesitant to take advantage of included airfare. My main concern isn't the inconveniences of some flights - but what happens if the scheduled airfare does not get you to port in time for your cruise? If you miss your cruise do they reimburse you for cruise and pre-paid extras? Im not referring to insurance that I would purchase, but what does the cruise line do with your money if the flights they arrange make you miss the cruise?

It is an insurance claim. 

The cruise line will rebook your air to catch up with the ship 2-3 days later. 

Here are a few thoughts, mostly earned from the last two days of horrendous flights. I think airlines are going to continue to be delaying and canceling frequently until maybe the end of Sept.  I hear some are cutting back on their flight schedules to match the pilot shortage.

Here's what happened this past Tuesday and Wednesday on two simple flights with one connection.

Tuesday- woke up at 5 AM to the news that my flight had been canceled and they moved me to an earlier flight that is a direct flight. Great! Run to the airport to discover the new flight is delayed. I also received my first "crotch patdown at security."  I was pulled aside for this (hey, I'm a 72 year old grandma.) , and then the flight was delayed some more. All well that ends well since I arrived at my original time. The direct flight took as much time as the one with a connection, but oh well. (American)

Wednesday- CLT-Mid   Mid-CMH Southwest

Arrived at CLT I then received a text that connecting flight to CMH was cancelled. Southwest App didn't work and they said all my details were correct, but I had to call the regular number. While I was on hold, they rebooked us on a later flight leaving at 6:30.

Boarding first leg was strange. As we got on the plane, they announced a delay because several passengers decided to not take the flight because they were missing their next connection. So, the baggage guys had to rifle through the cargo hold looking for their luggage. This delayed us 30 minutes.  As we approached Midway in Chicago, the pilot said no planes were allowed to land because of storms. We circled for a while and then he announced we were running low on fuel. We got diverted from Chicago airspace to Cincinnati to refuel. Don't airplanes fill up their fuel reservoirs? In CVG, the plane was just sitting on the sunny, hot runway and the plane started getting hot. No air.

We were told that everyone eventually would be required to disembark for a while. My husband had volunteered to drive from Columbus, OH and pick us up. About 15 of us were given permission to find our own way home. Most people were stuck on the plane, and I have no idea what happened to those poor souls.

Then, Southwest texted and said they rebooked us for a 5:45 AM flight the next morning.  I would have been trying to sleep/rest in the airport that night until our plane departure. What a nightmare.  

So, what did I learn?  Plan an extra day in your flight plans. I also realized that there is a serious domino effect with all the employees. Some people's delays cause the baggage handling problems. Best to try to do only carryons.   I wouldn't have been allowed to leave at CVG if I had checked luggage.

Also, don't count on the Apps working properly. Be sure to take all your airline passwords, numbers, and try to have a print back up. Keep those cell phones charged!  There will often be no agent at the airport to help you.  Or, you might be in long lines.

We have a flight to a cruise in Europe on Oct 30. Barring weather problems, it should be okay. We sail on Nov. 3.  For many reasons, I didn't accept the 2/1 NCL airfare offer.  I want to control my flight details and be able to plan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Don't airplanes fill up their fuel reservoirs?

No.  Fuel 'costs' fuel.  More fuel on board means there's a higher burn to carry the extra weight.  They carry only as much as they need for the taxi/flight/taxi and then have enough for a hold and divert if they can't land after a set time in holding.  Sometimes they'll decide to divert before that hold time is expired if it looks like they won't be able to land before their prescribed hold time is expired.

Planes RARELY fly with full tanks when flying domestically in the US unless the flight is right at the limit of the plane's range.  If they're on a particularly short leg or the destination has unreliable fuel supply or  it's super expensive they'll 'bunker' the fuel for the next leg or the return flight if they can carry enough without going overweight so they don't have to try filling up at the turn around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Unreliable airlines is precisely why you WOULD let your cruiseline handle it.

If something happens, they fix it.

There was a post on these boards not that long ago about someone who booked through NCL and their flight was cancelled, causing them to miss the ship.  According to them NCL was no help at all.  Basically told them to contact their insurance company.

I booked my own air for our upcoming cruise and we're flying in 2 days early just to give ourselves some time in case flights are delayed/cancelled.  We have NCL Air for our late winter cruise, but prices are starting to come down for that one.  Right now they're only $100 more/pp than what NCL is charging.  I'm pretty such I'm going to cancel the NCL air portion before final payment and book my own flights.

These kinds of issues are very common right now and the reason why I refuse to fly anywhere right now if I can help it.  So I'm taking cruises that I can drive to the pier.  It's a tough one though.   If it were me, I would not take the chance and plan to come in a day early.  I'll cough up the cost of a hotel room and a meal or two to make sure I could get to my ship.   But right now, I won't even bother with that.  But I get where many don't live within driving distance of a cruise terminal. 

6 hours ago, agrimm01 said:

I wouldn't worry about the flight missing embarkation.  After our cruise to Greece last October I would have said that it was great taking advantage of NCL's air program.  But, after getting our itinerary for this Septembers Alaskan cruise I would take it back.  We have a 6:30am flight out of Jacksonville, Fl to get to Seattle the day before the cruise.  Coming back we leave Seattle at 11pm.  So the flight out is about 14 hours after disembarkation.  We get to Jacksonville about noon the next day.  Terrible flights.  Our friends traveling with us got great flights (they leave Jax at 9am and leave SEA at 11:30am).

Bottom line is that it's like a box of chocolates.

We used NCL's air program for our pre-pandemic Alaska cruise.  The original flights they booked us on were terrible.  I went to website of the airline they were offering and found several options that worked better for us including a nonstop flight.  I then called NCL's air travel department and asked about the flights I had found.  We were able to get our first choices.  It definitely was worth the research and the phone call.  

47 minutes ago, farjar said:

We used NCL's air program for our pre-pandemic Alaska cruise.  The original flights they booked us on were terrible.  I went to website of the airline they were offering and found several options that worked better for us including a nonstop flight.  I then called NCL's air travel department and asked about the flights I had found.  We were able to get our first choices.  It definitely was worth the research and the phone call.  

We used the BOGO promo and maybe that is why they will not even try to get us another flight.  I spent probably 4 hours on the phone with them.

41 minutes ago, agrimm01 said:

We used the BOGO promo and maybe that is why they will not even try to get us another flight.  I spent probably 4 hours on the phone with them.

This was back in 2019 on a one way northbound on the Jewel. We flew from Southern California to Vancouver, then home from Seward to Southern California. The confirmation shows we paid $99 each total with an AIRPROM2 code.  I believe it was a BOGO even though the cost was divided between both of us. There wasn't any way we could have booked those flights on our own at such an incredibly low fare. Too bad they won't accommodate you.  The current airline situation probably won't allow for it.  Enjoy Alaska.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, farjar said:

I believe it was a BOGO even though the cost was divided between both of us

In 2019 it was free or reduced airfare for each passenger, I used it in October of that year.

4 hours ago, SimplyAlbert said:

There was a post on these boards not that long ago about someone who booked through NCL and their flight was cancelled, causing them to miss the ship.  According to them NCL was no help at all.  Basically told them to contact their insurance company.

I booked my own air for our upcoming cruise and we're flying in 2 days early just to give ourselves some time in case flights are delayed/cancelled.  We have NCL Air for our late winter cruise, but prices are starting to come down for that one.  Right now they're only $100 more/pp than what NCL is charging.  I'm pretty such I'm going to cancel the NCL air portion before final payment and book my own flights.

your post would have been interesting if you’d have included some evidence like even the post you’re referencing.   

I can at least confirm that its NCL’s policy to manage cancellations and deviations for you when you use their Air Sea program up to 72 hours in advance.  After that they ask that you communicate with the airline and then call their flight assistance hotline.  

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/airsea

Seems like the NCL policy is vague on the actual help they will provide.

Flight Assistance While Traveling En-Route (Pre and Post Cruise)
In the event that your flight is changed or cancelled by the airline due to mechanical, inclement weather, strikes or any other involuntary reason, you should immediately advise an airline representative at the airport that you are a guest of Norwegian Cruise Line, and you are on your way to join a cruise. In most circumstances, the airline can arrange alternative flights at the airline counter, so you can get to the ship or the hotel destination. Please notify NCL through the "Flight Assistance Hotline" (contact numbers below) as soon as possible if a delay or cancellation. Please provide the agent with the new flight information, if applicable. Please note that air tickets cover flights from and to the vessel. Failure to travel on the outbound flight may resolve in automatic cancellation of the return flight.

RCCL Policy for comparison

Guest purchasing airline tickets through Air2Sea who experience travel disruptions do indeed receive assistance. With our Assured Arrival program, we have a dedicated group of professionals in the Emergency Travel Team standing by to provide air re-accommodation, and to provide hotel and ground transportation if needed. Even though we monitor your flights, we ask that you check with the airline while at the airport prior to contacting the Emergency Travel Team. The Emergency Travel team will work with you to find accommodations on the next available flight. In some instances, same day viable flight options may not be available, and in those instances we accommodate you to the next available port where you may legally join the ship.

Edited by tedbearz

23 minutes ago, tedbearz said:

Seems like the NCL policy is vague on the actual help they will provide.

Flight Assistance While Traveling En-Route (Pre and Post Cruise)
In the event that your flight is changed or cancelled by the airline due to mechanical, inclement weather, strikes or any other involuntary reason, you should immediately advise an airline representative at the airport that you are a guest of Norwegian Cruise Line, and you are on your way to join a cruise. In most circumstances, the airline can arrange alternative flights at the airline counter, so you can get to the ship or the hotel destination. Please notify NCL through the "Flight Assistance Hotline" (contact numbers below) as soon as possible if a delay or cancellation. Please provide the agent with the new flight information, if applicable. Please note that air tickets cover flights from and to the vessel. Failure to travel on the outbound flight may resolve in automatic cancellation of the return flight.

RCCL Policy for comparison

Guest purchasing airline tickets through Air2Sea who experience travel disruptions do indeed receive assistance. With our Assured Arrival program, we have a dedicated group of professionals in the Emergency Travel Team standing by to provide air re-accommodation, and to provide hotel and ground transportation if needed. Even though we monitor your flights, we ask that you check with the airline while at the airport prior to contacting the Emergency Travel Team. The Emergency Travel team will work with you to find accommodations on the next available flight. In some instances, same day viable flight options may not be available, and in those instances we accommodate you to the next available port where you may legally join the ship.

Based on the highlighted portion, it appears you may be making an oranges to apples comparison.

NCL has the Free@Sea air offer...which, as pointed out in Post #17, is different than NCL's Premium Air service. I suspect that RCCL's Assured Arrival Program is more like Premium Air.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:57 PM, Markanddonna said:

We have a flight to a cruise in Europe on Oct 30. Barring weather problems, it should be okay. We sail on Nov. 3.  For many reasons, I didn't accept the 2/1 NCL airfare offer.  I want to control my flight details and be able to plan.

First, I also live in Westerville-- small world!

Getting back to CMH is a nightmare.  Both of our past two trips have had cancellations on the last leg into CMH.  The first was San Diego-Houston-Columbus, and the second Stockholm-JFK-Columbus.  We also booked our own flights which made a big difference.  The airlines automatically rebooked us-- not great flights, but not as bad as they could have been.  American Airlines at JFK couldn't/wouldn't rebook people who had flights through cruise lines.  Those people had to sit on hold for hours while the available alternatives plane seats were getting filled.  (I have no idea which cruise lines.)  Like you, we want to be able to plan and, if necessary, change our flights ourselves.  

Although this situation was 10 years ago, I believe what happened is still relevant. We booked Air2Sea flights with RCL to Rome. We knew that SuperStorm Sandy was going to impact our flights and just wanted them to switch our first connection to an earlier flight. Air2Sea refused until our first flight was canceled. Then, everything went crazy and they gave us permission to talk directly to the airline.  It would have been so much easier and less stressful (3 1/2 hours on the phone) to just let us change our first flight when we first asked.