New York transfers and New England/Canada cruise

Captain k

Greetings.  Planning a 7 day cruise on Enchanted  this fall probably flying into LaGuardia.  What are your experiences on using Princess transfers or just Uber,etc.  Looks like a later returning flight so any thoughts on the Princess excursion touring New York and then being dropped at the airport?  Any other tips on must see places during the cruise would be welcome also.  Thanks. 

Since we're flying in the morning of, we're doing a Princess transfer from LGA.  We're doing Uber on the way back to the airport since we're not in much of a hurry.  I thought of doing the Princess excursion but I'll be with my son who does not do 6:30 am excursions.  🙂

The only time we have gone out of NYC we flew into LGA the day of and did a Princess transfer direct to the ship.  This was about 4 years ago...well before all of the current chaos with flights & such. We *generally* do the Princess transfer.  Yes, I know it can be done for cheaper...but it's always been so smooth and issue-free that I just really don't care about a few extra dollars that it might cost.  It's a drop in the bucket compared to the total cruise cost!

I've used taxi & uber from LGA. Staying 1 night before cruise -booking hotel when flight lands-to avoid cancellation penalties hotels are charging now. Lots of changes in flights this season so rather go a day early. At end of cruise- tour package is for flights leaving after 5 pm, so that lets us out..

We will take our time disembarking & taxi/uber to LGA. (last time-we had to wait for more taxis to arrive-as we were last to disembark.)

Thanks for starting this thread @Captain K.

We also will be doing the NE cruise on Enchanted and haven’t really thought about any plans for killing some time before our 3:00pm flight out of EWR after the cruise. I know they will want us off the ship by 9:00am so that leaves 6 hours. Not enough time for any tours but, hanging out at EWR for that long is not my idea of fun.

Im with @Dog, will be getting to NY a couple days ahead of embarkation. Well, that is the plan but we will see what the airlines have to say about that.

Cheers

• Like 1

We fly in the day before when we cruise from Brooklyn terminal. Take car service to the cruise terminal.

Getting off the ship, in the past several times we did a Princess NYC tour with dropoff at JFK. Flying home for us has always been early evening. Nice way to kill a few hours.Funny, three times in a row we had the same lady as our tour guide. I grew up in NY so really didn't need any tours. The Princess tours were just great bringing back wonderful memories for me.

Last time we flew home from Newark so couldn't do any tours, don't think offered.We took Princess transportation to the airport.

We never take Princess transportation from any airports  to the ship. Cabs, private car services .Usually there is a long wait  to board till the buses fill with arriving passengers.

The few times we did use the bus is if we booked Pre cruise hotels arranged by Princess and it included pickup at airport and transport to the ship.

• Like 1

We took the Princess transfer from the port (Brooklyn) to EWR. It was not expensive and straight forward. The only downside was waiting at the terminal for more than a few hours for our flight home.

We have done the New England/ Canada cruise twice and loved it!

If arriving on day of cruise at LGA, I would take the Princess xfer over Uber, taxi, Dial 7, etc.

Reason: LGA is still under massive reconstruction. I do not know the current situation, but pre-Covid traffic congestion was so bad at LGA that people had to be bused offsite to a taxi pickup area, limo services could not guarantee when you could be picked up, etc. 

On 8/6/2022 at 3:59 AM, AZjohn said:

Thanks for starting this thread @Captain K.

We also will be doing the NE cruise on Enchanted and haven’t really thought about any plans for killing some time before our 3:00pm flight out of EWR after the cruise. I know they will want us off the ship by 9:00am so that leaves 6 hours. Not enough time for any tours but, hanging out at EWR for that long is not my idea of fun.

Im with @Dog, will be getting to NY a couple days ahead of embarkation. Well, that is the plan but we will see what the airlines have to say about that.

Cheers

We are flying in to EWR from Edinburgh a few days before the cruise, giving us time to explore NY.  After cruise we have an evening flight home so we have booked a Princess tour which drops us at EWR mid-afternoon.

• Like 1