QE Covid Isolation - totally fed up

nightfires

As the title says I’m in Covid isolation and despite 2 negative tests I’m not allowed to eat in the dining room for another 2 days!

I started feeling unwell on the night of the 27/28 July  so asked for a test which was negative. They asked me to isolate for  24 hours, which I did. On 29th I tested positive so as of today (6th August) I’ve spent 9 days in isolation so far.

I had negative tests yesterday and today but apparently whilst I can go anywhere on the ship or ashore I can only eat in my Cabin. How ridiculous. 

As a solo traveller I look forward to the chat at dinner. I’ve already lost so much of my holiday already why add on another 2 days?

• sorry - but  you chose to sail during this time knowing the risks...this isnt just about YOU but the possibilty of passing COVID onto many many other crew & passengers....hopefully you'll be let out soon & can enjoy the rest of your cruise...
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, nightfires said:

I had negative tests yesterday and today but apparently whilst I can go anywhere on the ship or ashore I can only eat in my Cabin. How ridiculous. 

While I agree with Richard, it does seems odd that you can go anywhere except to eat.  I suppose the idea is that you are likely to spend a long time near a group while eating, but that could be true in the bars as well.  It does not seem too consistent.

I accepted the risk and had no issue with isolation.

The point I am making is I can run around the ship breathing on all the surfaces, I can go in the spa, the pool, the theatre etc.  but I cannot sit and eat a meal. 

23 minutes ago, nightfires said:

The point I am making is I can run around the ship breathing on all the surfaces, I can go in the spa, the pool, the theatre etc.  but I cannot sit and eat a meal. 

I spent three days in isolation, which was more than enough, so you very much have my sympathies. I don't know why they are so neurotic about meals: it does seem strange, and may be counter-productive. My husband chose to isolate with me, simply because, if he hadn't, he wouldn't have been able to use the restaurants. Naturally, he caught it off me. It might have been better if they'd just let him behave as a normal passenger.

By asking for a test (and subsequently reporting a positive result) in a situation where taking one was presumably not necessary to go ashore or similar you have inflicted this situation upon yourself. 

At the moment major cruise lines, including Cunard are still insisting on isolation with regards to Covid, but the direction of travel is clear regarding mask mandates, testing and vaccination requirements etc, they are all being relaxed and then got rid of.

CDC regulations do strongly influence cruise line instructions, even if legally the cruise ships don't have to follow the regulations if they aren't sailing into US ports (like the Queen Victoria). CDC rules affecting the travel industry more widely such as masks on planes, or tests to fly to the United States have disappeared either due to court action or decisions otherwise made. Almost as soon as CDC rules regarding isolation go the cruise lines rules will go too. Isolation rules are costing the cruise lines, including Cunard, vast amounts of money through reduced capacity and the related lost sales.

This time next year I suspect that telling the ships medical officer that you have tested positive for Covid will be greeted with a shrug and a suggestion that you contact them in the unlikely event you become seriously unwell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I believe those are CDC regulations

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

So why do they apply in Europe? Seems a bit imperialist.

They are indeed CDC regulations, or rather it is now CDC guidance Cunard is following since the CDC discontinued their COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships on July 18th. Here is an excerpt from that guidance which is similar to the previous regulations.

"CDC has provided guidance for isolation in community and high-risk congregate settings. If isolation is ended before 10 days are completed, travelers should properly wear a well-fitting mask when outside of cabin (indoors and outdoors) through day 10. During this time, these individuals should have in-cabin dining and also wear a well-fitting mask inside their cabin if any other person (such as a crew member) enters the cabin."

I can't really address why the CDC has considered dining venues on ships to be of particularly higher concern compared to other public venues such as theaters.

QE is currently sailing in the Caribbean on her way to Fort Lauderdale, Florida on August 9th which is presumably why Cunard is applying this CDC guidance to the current QE voyage. After QE departs US waters for Barcelona, we might see Cunard no longer applying this particular guidance concerning in-cabin dining for 10 full days.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

No, but QM2 was when that policy was applied.

Perhaps because QM2 continues to operate a schedule in US waters with her transatlantic and North America itineraries. With the previous CDC regulations, cruise ships were expected to follow those regulations if they planned to return to US waters although I'm fuzzy now on the details for what the requirements were to resume operations in US waters if they hadn't been following the regulations while outside US waters. I would have thought this is mostly moot now though with the CDC having formally ended their COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Perhaps because QM2 continues to operate a schedule in US waters with her transatlantic and North America itineraries. With the previous CDC regulations, cruise ships were expected to follow those regulations if they planned to return to US waters although I'm fuzzy now on the details for what the requirements were to resume operations in US waters if they hadn't been following the regulations while outside US waters. I would have thought this is mostly moot now though with the CDC having formally ended their COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships.

I believe the federal government has given up all covid demands and now states they are suggestions.

15 hours ago, hypercafe said:

This is my greatest fear, catching COVID and being put in isolation onboard. It's the reason I have not cruised since this all started.

Yes we were similar to you. Last cruise 2019 then didn't until June 2022. I then caught covid in Alaska (my partner did not) 

Had a cruise booked for August so we cancelled it whilst in isolation (took advantage of pursers desk saying “anything else we can do for you?” And I said “yes a cancellation for August with a Full refund no FCC” and credit to Cunard  they did.

We are intending to take our November cruise though.

I think it is so random this wretched disease who it infects and the intensity of the infection.

Day 1 was very apprehensive and a bit scared but then by Day 6 into our Alaska cruise I felt safe and was beginning to say “its not bad at all” but then day 7 got the positive result and was back to day 1. 

20 hours ago, nightfires said:

Are you wearing a mask whilst running around the ship? One assumes that the problem with the dining room is that you would not be masked.

Are you tested by lateral flow tests or PCR?

• Like 1

Today we have to take Covid tests this morning in order to join QE on Tuesday. Very apprehensive as there were 100s of passengers crammed together in arrivals at Miami airport. It took  3.5 hours to get through passport control. Have no idea what to if either of us test positive. 

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Are you wearing a mask whilst running around the ship? One assumes that the problem with the dining room is that you would not be masked.

Are you tested by lateral flow tests or PCR?

Leaving on our next sailing, we expect to follow the instructions we have been given and following since 3/2020.  By two of our dear friends & doctors to take good care of ourselves very seriously and we have since then. Negative results each time. Periodically testing.  We hope and expect Negative before boarding.  Fingers crossed for thru out the sailing till back home.

There will be a challenge during eating and drinking without a mask.

Edited by BklynBoy8

6 hours ago, sandancer said:

Today we have to take Covid tests this morning in order to join QE on Tuesday. Very apprehensive as there were 100s of passengers crammed together in arrivals at Miami airport. It took  3.5 hours to get through passport control. Have no idea what to if either of us test positive. 

Nevermind the 3.5 What about all the time at Heathrow doing check in and security is that not a concern as well?

44 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Nevermind the 3.5 What about all the time at Heathrow doing check in and security is that not a concern as well?

Not for us no. We had a domestic flight from our local airport and didn’t have to check in or go through security at Heathrow. I should also add that US citizens did not have this problem. It was only non US passport holders that waited that long. 

5 hours ago, techteach said:

@sandancer 3.5 hours? That sounds horrible. Good luck.

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

The last time we flew into Heathrow for a Cunard cruise, the lines were not much better. I’d say they were about 2 1/2 hours long.  And that was in 2018 before Covid and all the problems that there are currently with respect to hiring people and keeping positions filled right now.  

12 hours ago, sandancer said:

Not for us no. We had a domestic flight from our local airport and didn’t have to check in or go through security at Heathrow. I should also add that US citizens did not have this problem. It was only non US passport holders that waited that long. 

It is the same in UK for us we don't wait near that long but they do apparently.

Edited by ace2542

On 8/6/2022 at 2:31 PM, nightfires said:

Could you not have gone into the kings court (the buffet)?. And you could also take the drink they bring to your cabin and sit in the chart room with it? Like you say makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Could you not have gone into the kings court (the buffet)?. And you could also take the drink they bring to your cabin and sit in the chart room with it? Like you say makes no sense.

Not if Cunard is following the CDC guidance. That guidance specifies wearing a well-fitted mask at all times outside the cabin, both indoors and outdoors, with all dining in cabin until all 10 days of the isolation period are up. Since masks are not to be removed at any time when outside the cabin, that would preclude eating or drinking anywhere other than in the cabin during that time.