Sgt Schultz knows nothing! - Freedom - Grand Turk

BillOh

107821789_Screenshot2022-08-06102123.jpg.d42b6a040924652596520e9e428bf13e.jpg

Hello! We have done 20 Royal Caribbean Cruises. We will have done 21 by the time we board Carnival Freedom in 2023.   I've started the roll call for our cruise. I didn't see one and there was a year old roll call that was a canal transit cruise. Nobody has posted in a year, so I am guessing Carnival changed their deployments around. I guess that happens between both lines, especially since the pandemic.  I love roll call groups, especially for a ship I've never been on.

On the Royal groups I use the persona  BLUE COLLAR DIAMOND when I post reviews, so I thought I would adopt the Sgt Schultz persona here. I figure there are enough people as old as me or older that will get the reference. 

I've always used cruising as something to look forward to and while not normally an obsessive person,  I'll think about this cruise every day for the next 406 days. I will google and youtube everything multiple times.  Probably next summer I'll start watching Freedom arrive on various port webcams.  But if there is a particular site, video, photo you want to share that you think I should know/see/check out feel free to post it. 

I've seen Freedom in port a few times, I think its part of the Conquest class? Throw any fact my way, we will absorb it.   My extensive Royal cruise history is in my signature, feel free to look and add anything  you think I should know.  I did just look at an early 2022 video by a couple that blogged Freedom, so I've seen a little. 

I'll quit for now by saying after 21 Royal cruises, we went to check out a travel club presentation, didn't like it, got the certificate for up to a 5 day Carnival cruise and I chose Freedom Sept 16th 5 day out of Port Canaveral.  Supposedly I'm just paying the port fees and taxes, but I'll see how that goes. For now I got an inside on the Riviera deck, near stairs. (Not sure what deck that is) Its a place holder, we may upgrade next summer, or we may not!

Soon I'll start researching Grand Turk. I don't know anything, all suggestions/comments welcome.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You can use the link on the Carnival board page to read what people are saying about Freedom.  In the upper left, just under Find your Carnival roll call, you will see Find posts about and ‘find ship’ which will give you a drop down list to choose your ship.  It will give you the most recent threads about her, including yours.  EM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Welcome to the Carnival boards, BillOh.

Riviera Deck is Deck 1 on Carnival Freedom.

In case you haven't checked them out already, here are the deck plans for your ship:

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-freedom.aspx

Thanks for that,  I'll reference that frequently in the next year, especially when this is my next cruise. What deck do we board on?

3 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Thanks for that,  I'll reference that frequently in the next year, especially when this is my next cruise. What deck do we board on?

That I don't know, I'm sorry.  Never sailed Freedom.  But my guess would be Deck 3, Lobby Deck.  I think that is the Deck on which we embarked on her sister ship, Glory, back in 2011.  But it's been a long time and I can't be sure.  Someone else here will know and surely answer.🙂

• Like 2

In Grand Turk, check out Jack's Shack.  Walk down the pier then turn left.  Walk about 15 minutes and grab a table.  Yummy jerk chicken and tasty drinks.  Plus you can watch a game of volleyball.  Great place!  Have a great cruise!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

In Grand Turk, check out Jack's Shack.  Walk down the pier then turn left.  Walk about 15 minutes and grab a table.  Yummy jerk chicken and tasty drinks.  Plus you can watch a game of volleyball.  Great place!  Have a great cruise!

Love Jack's Shack!  We go straight there every time we go to Grand Turk.  RIP, Topher.🥰  Gosh, he was a cool dog!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BillOh said:

Well my good man, you stole my ship so….Actually, we were supposed to be on Freedom out of Miami this October but they moved her and we are on Spirit instead. I really like the Freedom and her sister ships.  It’s got good options for food and drinks but the ship isn’t huge. 

you will board on deck 3 the first day which is the lobby. There’s a nice bar there. Also a pretty atrium where there is live music in the evenings as well as games like trivia etc during the day. If you have anytime dining, this is also where the entrance to that restaurant is. Your cabin is on deck 1 which is handy for reboarding in port as you’ll just have to walk down the hall. 

In Grand Turk, we have done the sightseeing highlights and tastes for Grand Turk excursion. Honestly one of the best excursions I have ever done. Only about 14 people per group and you see pretty much everything GT has to offer and then they take you to a nice beach with chairs and umbrellas. Another option is to stay at the port, go shopping, go to Margaritaville, or use the free beach chairs Carnival has right at the port. 

What are your other ports? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Well my good man, you stole my ship so….Actually, we were supposed to be on Freedom out of Miami this October but they moved her and we are on Spirit instead. I really like the Freedom and her sister ships.  It’s got good options for food and drinks but the ship isn’t huge. 

you will board on deck 3 the first day which is the lobby. There’s a nice bar there. Also a pretty atrium where there is live music in the evenings as well as games like trivia etc during the day. If you have anytime dining, this is also where the entrance to that restaurant is. Your cabin is on deck 1 which is handy for reboarding in port as you’ll just have to walk down the hall. 

In Grand Turk, we have done the sightseeing highlights and tastes for Grand Turk excursion. Honestly one of the best excursions I have ever done. Only about 14 people per group and you see pretty much everything GT has to offer and then they take you to a nice beach with chairs and umbrellas. Another option is to stay at the port, go shopping, go to Margaritaville, or use the free beach chairs Carnival has right at the port. 

What are your other ports? 

Thank you for all of that information.  I see Carnival has had to reconfigure its deployments over the last 2 years like everyone else.  For now, we are on late dining.   This cruise is a 5 day from PC that goes to Carnival's private island and also Grand Turk, both of which will be new to me.   I'll start thinking about excursions after our spring cruise most likely. 

One question for all. A friend who has been on this ship liked the private pool area in the back of the ship. Is it for all adults or do you have to have a certain class of cabin?  This will be just my wife and I.

17 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

That I don't know, I'm sorry.  Never sailed Freedom.  But my guess would be Deck 3, Lobby Deck.  I think that is the Deck on which we embarked on her sister ship, Glory, back in 2011.  But it's been a long time and I can't be sure.  Someone else here will know and surely answer.🙂

Looks like deck 3 is correct. I see you are from Eastern Maryland. We did our first post pandemic cruise from Baltimore last May.

7 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Looks like deck 3 is correct. I see you are from Eastern Maryland. We did our first post pandemic cruise from Baltimore last May.

We LOVE cruising out of Baltimore!  Smoothest operation of any port we've used and < a 2.5 hour drive from our front door. I wish some other cruiselines would bring a ship back to this homeport for at least part of each year.  For now, we're "stuck" with just Carnival and Royal.

2 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

We LOVE cruising out of Baltimore!  Smoothest operation of any port we've used and < a 2.5 hour drive from our front door. I wish some other cruiselines would bring a ship back to this homeport for at least part of each year.  For now, we're "stuck" with just Carnival and Royal.

We did find the port very efficient! 20220519_091725.thumb.jpg.1ca21efe1fc1a5ab54d0e56a7ecd3818.jpgOn our 400 mile ride home we stopped at the Flight 93 memorial.

• Like 1

Hi @BillOh🙂

I just wanted to drop you some helpful Carnival Freedom info.

Ship Features & Public Areas @:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1472

Staterooms, Facts & More @:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4170/~/carnival-freedom-(fd)-staterooms-and-ship-features

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Love Jack's Shack!  We go straight there every time we go to Grand Turk.  RIP, Topher.🥰  Gosh, he was a cool dog!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that remembers Topher fondly. Me and him dug some awesome holes together.  He was the best Boi. A big thumbs up to Jack's Shack also. Best darned place on the whole island IMHO. 

Edited by SeaScout
  • Like 3

On 8/7/2022 at 7:46 AM, BillOh said:

Thank you for all of that information.  I see Carnival has had to reconfigure its deployments over the last 2 years like everyone else.  For now, we are on late dining.   This cruise is a 5 day from PC that goes to Carnival's private island and also Grand Turk, both of which will be new to me.   I'll start thinking about excursions after our spring cruise most likely. 

One question for all. A friend who has been on this ship liked the private pool area in the back of the ship. Is it for all adults or do you have to have a certain class of cabin?  This will be just my wife and I.

On the Conquest class (including Freedom) that pool has sometimes been adults-only in the past...but open to all adults, not based on any cabin-class.   More recently it has been open to all (including kids) but this seems to vary.  

It was by far my favorite pool on the Conquest class as it seemed less "busy."   At night the pool would often be empty, or nearly so, and I could swim "laps" -- end-to-end underwater, three times down and back.  🙂   

Also, the aft bar nearby was often much less crowded at night (and sometimes during the day), and on a few cruises we established a nice rapport with the bartender there.

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 12:18 PM, SeaScout said:

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that remembers Topher fondly. Me and him dug some awesome holes together.  He was the best Boi. A big thumbs up to Jack's Shack also. Best darned place on the whole island IMHO. 

We're also Jack's Shack fans, and we loved Topher too. For those who don't know, Jack worked in marine construction; his last job was building the pier at Grand Turk. He and his wife Janet stayed there to open a tiki bar on the beach. What we like about it is the nice beach with much better swimming than you get if you stay on the beach near the ship. Add Jack's drinks and you have a winner.

Also for those who don't know, Jack is retiring this year to return to Canada; Janet's granddaughter is starting school, and Janet has already returned. Jack is there to the end of the year, though, and his business partner will take over the Shack. We were just there last week - the team that will be there is really good and I have a lot of confidence that it will still be really good. (A new guy made my rum punch and I commented, "Jack has trained you well." He smiled.)

Here's a photo of my rum punch:

IMG_5458.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

We're also Jack's Shack fans, and we loved Topher too. For those who don't know, Jack worked in marine construction; his last job was building the pier at Grand Turk. He and his wife Janet stayed there to open a tiki bar on the beach. What we like about it is the nice beach with much better swimming than you get if you stay on the beach near the ship. Add Jack's drinks and you have a winner.

Also for those who don't know, Jack is retiring this year to return to Canada; Janet's granddaughter is starting school, and Janet has already returned. Jack is there to the end of the year, though, and his business partner will take over the Shack. We were just there last week - the team that will be there is really good and I have a lot of confidence that it will still be really good. (A new guy made my rum punch and I commented, "Jack has trained you well." He smiled.)

Here's a photo of my rum punch:

IMG_5458.JPG

And the jerk chicken is very tasty!  Your drink pic is making me thirsty😉