Tipping envelopes provided?

9 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Interesting. Never heard of such a thing.

Ive always just palmed the cash, shook hands with the recipient, and expressed my thanks

I do exactly the same thing! 👍

• Like 2

We use these:

20220806_165902.jpg?width=320&height=320

3" x 3" blank envelopes on which I have stamped (with rubber stamp from Hobby Lobby) "Thanks for everything!".  Slip cash in, seal, then easily and discreetly give ("palm") to particular crew on the last night of the cruise, with our spoken thank yous and farewells.  For the special crew members to whom we want to write a little personal note of thanks for making our cruise special, we will use and enclose the (originally blank) note cards that came with the envelopes.

Funny thing: a few years back, we were using little orange envelopes instead of the blue.  Our assistant waiter on one cruise looked confused when my DH passed him the envelope on the last night.  Then he laughed.  He explained that the ship's pharmacy used almost identical envelopes to dispense medications to the crew.  He was wondering what drugs DH might be giving him.🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I used to bring note cards until I realized that Guest Services had gratuity envelopes.  I write "Thank you (insert name)"  from Our Family with our room number.  I want them to know who the extra on top of gratuities comes from.  Plus it personalizes my thanks.

• Like 2

Guest services usually has them at the very end of the counter up against the far walls in little up right plastic holders (same place they used to keep extra fun times) on most of the ships I have been on. As another poster said, just walk up and grab, no need to wait in line.

• Like 1

In all our years of cruising we've never seen a tipping envelope, so this is new to us as well.  We usually pre pay tips (not always), but we always tip extra.  We just leave the tip with a quick note of thanks.  For instance, we typically tip our room steward $10 extra each day.  We leave it on the bed with a sticky note attached.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the responses.  

A friend on another board had been sharing the process on the ship she'd just disembarked (DCL) and I realized I hadn't seen an envelope in many trips.  I usually prepay my grats and then bring my own note cards for tips over that if we are inclined. But I thought I would ask for clarity.

For clarification: we leave our auto-gratuities in place, and usually, I go down to Guest Services late in the cruise and increase them.  The envelopes we hand out on the last night are a nod to the "old ways" of gratuities from when we started cruising (when the tip envelopes were left on our bed with the Carnival Capers on the last day of the cruise), and are in addition to our auto-grats.  We leave our extra cash tip for our Room Steward in the grasp of a member of our towel animal menagerie (with a "Thank You" note) upon exiting our cabin on Embarkation Day.

• Like 3