CARNIVAL LEGEND ~ JUST RETURNED REVIEW

My husband and I just completed our 7-night cruise aboard the Carnival Legend out of Baltimore.

First and foremost, I don't know what's happened recently but we've sailed twice in the past 5 months from Baltimore and it's been horrible getting through the embarkation process.  It's taking over an hour to get through the luggage drop off and parking payment process.  Both recent embarkation lines were out the door and to the back of the building even though we arrived during our scheduled timeframe.

Quite a number of years ago there was a project in the works to put up plexiglass panels around the outside of building so that people would be protected from the elements.  Don't know why it was never done but for our February sailing it sure was cold waiting outside!!!

CABIN:  We booked an inside cabin for this sailing.  It was a cool square layout on deck 6.  It is an older ship so there are only two outlets available (we bring an adapter), and the hair dryer is very weak (we brought our own this time).  The bed was very comfy and there was plenty of storage space.   As with most of the cruise lines, the TV selections stink.  We usually like to watch something before bedtime.  

FOOD:  We had my-time dining but only ate in the main dining room twice, by choice.  Carnival really needs to update the menus.  Seems like every sailing we have been on, the entree selections have been the same.  And even choosing not to eat in the main dining room, it was usually most of the same food on the Lido Deck.  On this sailing in particular the meats were very fatty, including the short ribs, the prime rib, and the filet mignon.  

Bacon is still every other day.  Guy's Burgers were great as usual.  Pizza was good and the lines weren't unusually long.  There were issues with the ice machines on the Lido Deck so they had large bins with cubes and ice scoops.  There were no sugar packets, but instead canisters of sugar.  The floor was constantly wet so we were walking around the "wet floor" signs any time we were there.  Don't know when they got rid of the trays for carrying your dishes but that sure makes things cumbersome.

We went to Sea Day Brunch once and the service was horrible!!!  It took over 10 minutes after we were seated to even be acknowledged.  We had to ask for the bread/danish choices because they weren't offered.  My husband had to ask for his tomato juice three times.  They brought things out piecemeal ~ my husband got his english muffin long before his entree was served, and I had to ask for my toast after my eggs were served.  Our entire time for a simple breakfast was 1 hour and 15 minutes.

ENTERTAINMENT:  This was hit and miss.  We felt that the talent in the Playlist Production shows was mediocre at best.  A show toward the end of the cruise just suddenly didn’t appear in the daily “What’s Happening” area on the hub app.  There was never any mention about why it was canceled.

We saw one 18+ comedy show which was pretty entertaining, but the PG show in the main theater was just so/so.  

There was a trio playing electric violins and they were very entertaining.

The band in the Red Frog Pub was also so/so.  

SERENITY ADULT AREA:  We didn’t get off the ship this sailing and instead spent time in the Serenity area on the port days.  It was, of course, much less crowded.  We NEVER saw children in the area.  

SHIP MAINTENANCE:  We realize it’s a 20 year old ship and there was a refurbishment in 2018, but she is in need of some major cosmetic surgery.  Many of the public ladies rooms are in rough shape.  Toilets aren’t flushing, hand dryers are not working, and there is crumbling of the walls in many areas near the floors.

There is rust showing on many outside areas.  Lights were out in numerous areas such as the Trump Card Room ~ unless you know the name of it, too many lights were out to read the name.  We noticed maintenance about 5 times on the ATM during the cruise since it’s in the cafe area near the theater.

Elevators were constantly not working.  One of the glass elevators in the lobby area was out the entire cruise.  Two in the bank of elevators just outside our cabin were in and out of service the entire time.  

The windows could have used a good cleaning.

OVERALL:  We had an enjoyable time.

Weather was beautiful the entire week with one quick rain shower.

While they had the entire crew still wearing masks for Covid protocols, things like the ice scoop issue and the sugar canisters didn’t promote the same type of protocols.  

Too many times we saw men coming into the Lido food area without shirts and people without shoes and no one was enforcing the need for shirts and shoes.  We even saw people walking the ship in other areas without shoes ~ again not promoting healthy protocols.

Here’s hoping the Legend gets some much needed love before we sail her again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's awful about embarkation.  We have sailed out of Baltimore numerous times and that was one thing that seemed to always go quick.  We are going in September so I hope some of the entertainers change out.  One of our favorite things to do  is hang out in Red Frog Pub listening to the band.  How was Chopsticks?  Went in February and that was consistently good.  Glad you still had a good time!

• Like 1

When we went a few months ago, it was really a long wait for drop off than parking. The carts were out for both your right and left, maybe not enough workers OR it was taking longer to pay and park, or just people ignoring their assigned times. I really don't have the answer, but once we parked, the line wasn't bad. I had a couple minor complaints about food/service  with the seafood at the buffet, but everything else was okay for me. I do agree, either I'm cruising too much or the menu needs updating, lol.

Thank you for the thorough review since I'm sailing from Baltimore on 10/1.  It doesn't make me anxious to go on this ship even though I knew it was older.  How was the trip down the Chesapeake?  How was the crowd in the Serenity area on sea days?  Did you eat in the Steak house and was it worth the price?  On my last few cruises I've found that the entertainment is not what it used to be and the venues are half full.  The only great entertainment were the violinists.

• Like 1

We were on the Legend in May.  The parking lot process was bogged down by people who did not have their luggage tags on their luggage.  We only waited about 20-30 mins, but quickly found out the issue when the gentleman directing cars told us what was going on.  He asked if we had our luggage tags on already and thanked us when we said yes.  As far as getting through the embarkation, that was slightly chaotic at the point where you show your VeriFly or paper documents, then it was quickly through security and we waited about 2 minutes for a check in to open up.  We were on the ship within 15 minutes after entering the building.  One thing that stood out to us was how kind people were in the terminal!  

As for the cruise itself, we noticed the food portions weren't as large as in the paste and the menu wasn't super exciting.  We never went hungry though!  We did the steakhouse one night and it was really good.  We had never been before, so it was a new experience for our family.

The Playlist cast was awful.  There were 2 people that could carry a tune, the others - yikes.  We agreed the ship is showing her age and given the "pause" had expected they would have taken that time to do much needed work and upgrades.  We cruise because we enjoy cruising and don't need all the new bells & whistles, but the Legend definitely could use some love.  

The debarkation process is just inefficient.  The hurry up and wait drives us bonkers.  However, once we were off the ship, we were on the road home within 20 minutes.  

We like cruising from Baltimore because it's so convenient for us.  The itineraries are boring though.  We can't decide what to do next because the idea of flying in this current travel situation is unappealing and expensive.  We aren't interested in sailing out of NYC for a number of reasons.  So we've talked about Bayonne, but again, crappy itinerary unless you want to go for 2 weeks, which we can't do with our vacation time allotments.  Driving to Florida - again, wasted days off.  LOL  So...we have nothing booked right now.  

As you indicated the current travel problems are horrendous which is why we're going out of Baltimore.  Flew to Miami in January for a cruise and our outgoing flight was canceled so I was lucky we had decided to fly the day before the cruise.  The return flight to PHL was canceled every 45 minutes so our 1:30 flight never left until 6:30 which got us home just in time for an ice storm.  It's now a choice between an interesting itinerary out of FL or a less stressful but boring one locally.  My stresser now is the idiotic testing because for our January cruise, the results didn't come back in time from CVS so we had to pay $100 each to get tested at Carnival's Miami terminal.    BTW thanks for another great review.

Looking for same info…

In later March we had Arrival time in 2:00-2:30 group. It was jam packed!  We were in the terminal lines for an hour. Very tight quarters. They were enforcing times and keeping people out until their Arrival time. At least masks were required then but not now… we’re sailing August 28. I’m 
thinking now of a later Arrival Time slot but could do very first. My concern is if we board with first group it’ll be just as crowded in the terminal, plus the rooms won’t be ready and then we’ll have to sit in crowded areas waiting. I think rooms aren’t ready till 3, later due to the 10:00 am ship arrival time. Oiy…

Maureen

On 8/7/2022 at 6:21 PM, vadersprincess12 said:

Elevators were constantly not working.  One of the glass elevators in the lobby area was out the entire cruise.  Two in the bank of elevators just outside our cabin were in and out of service the entire time.  

Chengkp75 question.  Does the ship engineering team fix elevators?  Or at some point is the factory called in (rather like azipods)?  On land I have never seen the building engineer tearing apart elevators or escalators- always someone in an Otis or other factory coverall.  

• Like 1

We did our first Carnival cruise on the Legend in April and was pretty happy with it.  It's only 2 1/2 hours from our home in NJ and didn't want to fly so it was convenient.

We are not drinkers or gamblers so the only entertainment that we like are the shows and eating.  We found the food and service to be adequate.  The shows were good for seeing them the first time but at a question and answer session with the cruise director, Leigh, he said that the playlist entertainment had a five year contract and you would probably see the same shows again and again.  The three comedians on our cruise were from hunger.

Our next Carnival cruise is a B2B next May on the Pride, a sister ship of the Legend.  It is going into dry dock before we cruise and hope some of the problems that are discussed here on other threads are resolved.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:32 AM, eh24fan said:

We like cruising from Baltimore because it's so convenient for us.  The itineraries are boring though.  We can't decide what to do next because the idea of flying in this current travel situation is unappealing and expensive.  We aren't interested in sailing out of NYC for a number of reasons.  So we've talked about Bayonne, but again, crappy itinerary unless you want to go for 2 weeks, which we can't do with our vacation time allotments.  Driving to Florida - again, wasted days off.  LOL  So...we have nothing booked right now.  

I am happy to be on a ship, but a lot of people like to be in a lounger by the pool in the sun instantly.  So the seven day NY area>Florida>Bahamas type run works for me but those seem a tough sell in January.   NYC vs NJ- I dread the automatic $60+ cab /Uber rides via (full) tunnels/bridges to get in and out of Manhattan.  Luggage on the subway- not so much.  Walking around NYC is cool though for many.  But the hotels (what hotels) near the NJ port are an issue.  Ideally, you fly in near the port, sleep, board.  If the NJ folks took a brownfield near the port and made/allowed a tourist hotel/water park/RV park it might draw more year round guests.   Flying far away to cruise seems possibly dodgy long term.  More Bahamas destination development seems good.  Bermuda seems a bit fussy on health regulations.  But that is their call.  

• Like 1

Brilliant.  So one of the lines wraps a few busses (ala Disney in Orlando), and runs shuttles.  You fly to Newark, bus to the water park, chill.  (Or drive to the water park).  Bus to the ship.  Would I take a van load of eight year olds to NYC- probably not.  Is it unsafe, no.  For adults, there is shopping in the winter.  If you want to see NYC- all good.  I have stayed by EWR many many times.  But I have friends who were stranded there and were sure they would die, and rented a car and drove all night instead.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ew101 said:

Chengkp75 question.  Does the ship engineering team fix elevators?  Or at some point is the factory called in (rather like azipods)?  On land I have never seen the building engineer tearing apart elevators or escalators- always someone in an Otis or other factory coverall.  

The assumption is that they do work on them, but with how much success.  For instance, we were right off the aft elevators.  Sometimes all 4 elevators were working, sometimes 3, and sometimes only 2, then later in the day all 4 are working again.  It was crazy.  On one of the elevators in the main lobby the numbers were sideways the entire cruise.  And once we were getting on an elevator that came to our floor, there were already people on it, but when it stopped, the display said something about a medical emergency.............

On 8/8/2022 at 8:03 AM, 1maggie1 said:

That's awful about embarkation.  We have sailed out of Baltimore numerous times and that was one thing that seemed to always go quick.  We are going in September so I hope some of the entertainers change out.  One of our favorite things to do  is hang out in Red Frog Pub listening to the band.  How was Chopsticks?  Went in February and that was consistently good.  Glad you still had a good time!

In past years the terminal actually won awards from the cruise lines for the ease of getting through Baltimore.  Personally, I think have changed since the change in how the terminal is currently managed.  

We didn't go to Chopsticks this cruise.

We still had a good time and we will sail again, but I do like to give an honest review.

On 8/8/2022 at 9:03 AM, sammee said:

When we went a few months ago, it was really a long wait for drop off than parking. The carts were out for both your right and left, maybe not enough workers OR it was taking longer to pay and park, or just people ignoring their assigned times. I really don't have the answer, but once we parked, the line wasn't bad. I had a couple minor complaints about food/service  with the seafood at the buffet, but everything else was okay for me. I do agree, either I'm cruising too much or the menu needs updating, lol.

We are scheduled on two Carnival ships out of Miami next year, the Horizon and the Celebration (not sailing yet).  I looked and it seems all of the ships have the same menus.  Some of them have different options for the other eateries, but the menus are the same.  Definitely think it's time to change things up a bit.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:00 AM, Kellyann said:

Thank you for the thorough review since I'm sailing from Baltimore on 10/1.  It doesn't make me anxious to go on this ship even though I knew it was older.  How was the trip down the Chesapeake?  How was the crowd in the Serenity area on sea days?  Did you eat in the Steak house and was it worth the price?  On my last few cruises I've found that the entertainment is not what it used to be and the venues are half full.  The only great entertainment were the violinists.

Most of the trip down the Chesapeake is during the overnight hours.  This time of year you should see some nice sights if you get outside after dinner time before it gets dark.

Serenity was crowded as far as getting a deck chair and people still "save" chairs.  The area undercover by the bar had seating availability and there were 20+ people hanging in the pool at any given time, that's why I like to go on port days if I don't get off the ship.

We didn't go to the steakhouse this trip so I can't answer that but I can tell you that you can pay an upcharge in the regular dining room for "better cuts" of meat.  Didn't used to be that way years ago.

Carnival went to Playlist Productions many years ago from the regular Broadway type shows.  Not sure why other than $$$.  Don't get me wrong, we have seen some great talent during the Playlist shows it's just that on this particular cruise it just didn't measure up for us.  We did stay because we like the music, but the singers could have been much better.  Not sure how long the cast stays on the ship.  We are sailing again in December so I hope maybe the cast gets changed out.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, eh24fan said:

We were on the Legend in May.  The parking lot process was bogged down by people who did not have their luggage tags on their luggage.  We only waited about 20-30 mins, but quickly found out the issue when the gentleman directing cars told us what was going on.  He asked if we had our luggage tags on already and thanked us when we said yes.  As far as getting through the embarkation, that was slightly chaotic at the point where you show your VeriFly or paper documents, then it was quickly through security and we waited about 2 minutes for a check in to open up.  We were on the ship within 15 minutes after entering the building.  One thing that stood out to us was how kind people were in the terminal!  

As for the cruise itself, we noticed the food portions weren't as large as in the paste and the menu wasn't super exciting.  We never went hungry though!  We did the steakhouse one night and it was really good.  We had never been before, so it was a new experience for our family.

The Playlist cast was awful.  There were 2 people that could carry a tune, the others - yikes.  We agreed the ship is showing her age and given the "pause" had expected they would have taken that time to do much needed work and upgrades.  We cruise because we enjoy cruising and don't need all the new bells & whistles, but the Legend definitely could use some love.  

The debarkation process is just inefficient.  The hurry up and wait drives us bonkers.  However, once we were off the ship, we were on the road home within 20 minutes.  

Glad we aren't the only one's who didn't like the singers!

Typically, the ship itself is my destination.  I just love being on the ship.  We have sailed much larger ships too and really enjoy all of them.  We've sailed out of NY and the only pain in the butt is the cost of parking ~ $40 per night.  We drive from Maryland and it really is a pretty straight forward drive.  Bayonne is only $25 a night but except for the difference in the ships, yes, the itineraries are pretty much the same.  Try a Canada/New England sailing, they are nice.

There are only so many ports of call from the East Coast cruise ports.  Berthing assignments at those ports of call are done 18+ months in advance and a ship will have a contract for several years to those ports of call so it's tough to get somewhere new.

Hopefully you'll find another sailing soon.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 11:42 AM, Kellyann said:

As you indicated the current travel problems are horrendous which is why we're going out of Baltimore.  Flew to Miami in January for a cruise and our outgoing flight was canceled so I was lucky we had decided to fly the day before the cruise.  The return flight to PHL was canceled every 45 minutes so our 1:30 flight never left until 6:30 which got us home just in time for an ice storm.  It's now a choice between an interesting itinerary out of FL or a less stressful but boring one locally.  My stresser now is the idiotic testing because for our January cruise, the results didn't come back in time from CVS so we had to pay $100 each to get tested a t Carnival's Miami terminal.    BTW thanks for another great review.

Kellyann ~ Thanks, I like doing the reviews because they might help someone.  I also like reading reviews to get a feel for different ships. 

NEVER, EVER fly in the day of a cruise.  I wish everyone would pay attention to that.  So many, many disasters because of flight issues and this type of thing has happened even before all this crap with Covid.  

Once at the Port of Baltimore, there was a fatal accident outside the Ft. McHenry Tunnel on the North end and so traffic was halted for hours due to the investigation.  Even people driving locally didn't make it to the terminal in time.  There were about 10 families that didn't get to cruise.  The terminal has to close the gate at the time stated by the cruise line and if you aren't there............it's a shame but things happen (and this wasn't even flight related).  

We can't even get a test at CVS anymore without having to see their medical professional and going through an exam.  This last time we went to Quest labs ~ had the results the next afternoon.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:49 AM, Ilovesailaway said:

O

Op would I avoid the lines if I showed up later for embarkation?

I know Legend docks later than most so what what time should the rush be over?

That's hard to say ~ our check-in time for this cruise was 2:30 to 3:00 and I think there was only one slot after that and it was chaos.  On our February cruise we had a check-in before Noon and it was exactly the same.  

I would say just bring your patience and consider it part of the adventure!

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 4:47 PM, RMLincoln said:

Looking for same info…

In later March we had Arrival time in 2:00-2:30 group. It was jam packed!  We were in the terminal lines for an hour. Very tight quarters. They were enforcing times and keeping people out until their Arrival time. At least masks were required then but not now… we’re sailing August 28. I’m 
thinking now of a later Arrival Time slot but could do very first. My concern is if we board with first group it’ll be just as crowded in the terminal, plus the rooms won’t be ready and then we’ll have to sit in crowded areas waiting. I think rooms aren’t ready till 3, later due to the 10:00 am ship arrival time. Oiy…

Maureen

Maureen ~ that's exactly why we chose the later check-in this time and it was still chaos.  At least we were able to go directly to our cabin when we did board the ship.

8 hours ago, ew101 said:

I am happy to be on a ship, but a lot of people like to be in a lounger by the pool in the sun instantly.  So the seven day NY area>Florida>Bahamas type run works for me but those seem a tough sell in January.   NYC vs NJ- I dread the automatic $60+ cab /Uber rides via (full) tunnels/bridges to get in and out of Manhattan.  Luggage on the subway- not so much.  Walking around NYC is cool though for many.  But the hotels (what hotels) near the NJ port are an issue.  Ideally, you fly in near the port, sleep, board.  If the NJ folks took a brownfield near the port and made/allowed a tourist hotel/water park/RV park it might draw more year round guests.   Flying far away to cruise seems possibly dodgy long term.  More Bahamas destination development seems good.  Bermuda seems a bit fussy on health regulations.  But that is their call.  

I'd hate to be lugging my luggage all around NY, Ubers, taxis, trains.......UGH!

We'd love to back to Bermuda but are waiting until they lighten the regulations.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:00 AM, Kellyann said:

How was the trip down the Chesapeake?  

We'll be on Carnival Legend this Sunday. Our previous sailing from Baltimore was on Carnival Pride in March 2010. On that cruise, we sailed at 5:00 p.m. Fort McHenry in Baltimore Harbor (the Star-Spangled Banner Fort) appears shortly after sailing. You have a nice view of it. There are interesting ships in Baltimore Harbor, like USNS Comfort. We sailed under the Francis Scott Key Bridge at 5:50 p.m. and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at 7:00 p.m. The Calvert Cliffs would be interesting to see, but it might be after dark by then. We saw them in the morning on the return.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:47 AM, ahl said:

We'll be on Carnival Legend this Sunday. Our previous sailing from Baltimore was on Carnival Pride in March 2010. On that cruise, we sailed at 5:00 p.m. Fort McHenry in Baltimore Harbor (the Star-Spangled Banner Fort) appears shortly after sailing. You have a nice view of it. There are interesting ships in Baltimore Harbor, like USNS Comfort. We sailed under the Francis Scott Key Bridge at 5:50 p.m. and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at 7:00 p.m. The Calvert Cliffs would be interesting to see, but it might be after dark by then. We saw them in the morning on the return.

Good info thanks.  Francis Scott Key bridge is right after leaving port, as you said, and then comes the US 50 double span bridge at about 6pm. I am guessing you meant 7 AM for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel as it is 160 miles from port! I am hoping to see it if I get up early.