Windjammer favorites!

zebra

On 8/8/2022 at 6:15 PM, WELDON said:

I also love the breakfast bread.  It has cranberries and raisins and is similar to a German stolen bread. 

On 8/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, flamingos said:

Austrian striezel. I'm wondering if this, and the 'raisin bread' are the same thing.  I absolutely love it. On the last morning, I always take a few slices with me, for breakfast the next morning. 

Have to agree about the Striezel. It is my breakfast favorite, but then, I like the breads on board in general. As for the "stolen" bread, that was a long-running joke in my family years ago when I worked for a German bakery in Milwaukee. At Christmas, they gave each of us a loaf of Stollen, a rich, fruit-laden bread, and when I brought it home, my brother asked what it was. I said, "Stollen," and forever after that he called it my "stolen bread." 

Back to the WJ, my boarding-day favorites have always been the paella and the salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and feta. My DH usually heads right for the minute steaks, when available, and a large mixed salad. We both usually finish up with fresh fruit.

• Like 1

So many favorites already listed. I agree wholeheartedly about the Austrian Striezel bread in the morning ... although it's not the same on all ships. Sadly, I think they overbaked it a bit on the Allure and sliced it too thin so it was drier. But that's the only ship that disappointed.

And I'm all about the mashed potatoes and gravy ... it's in my DNA. Numerous times I'd head to the WJ thinking I was going to get something else ... and then I walked by the mashed potatoes and it called to me.

And the inclusion of real ice cream (instead of just that soft serve stuff on the pool deck) is a huge draw. My last couple of cruises I'd head up there just before closing time for my version of a night cap.

So glad to see they are adding a crepe station. It was the one thing NCL had over Royal's buffet for so long. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

So glad to see they are adding a crepe station. It was the one thing NCL had over Royal's buffet for so long. 

A crepe station, you say???  Any idea which ships?  That was one thing I loved about NCL's buffet.  I'd have a crepe w/ sliced banana and chocolate sauce every night for dessert (even if I wasn't having dinner at the buffet).  

3 minutes ago, mdepsmom said:

A crepe station, you say???  Any idea which ships?  That was one thing I loved about NCL's buffet.  I'd have a crepe w/ sliced banana and chocolate sauce every night for dessert (even if I wasn't having dinner at the buffet).  

There was a crepe station one night on my recent Indy cruise. I have seen them on random nights on different ships over the years.

Chiming in on the bread.....yup it's a must have every day

Question about dinner - is there a place to see what will be offered for dinner at the WJ? One year we heard someone saying it was a seafood buffet, and sure enough, maine lobster tails, all you could eat (well, with going home the next day). But we only heard about it from someone else.

Is there an official way to find out? 

Thanks and mr loves the cookies with ice cream between...a do it your self dessert

28 minutes ago, Wetmib said:

Question about dinner - is there a place to see what will be offered for dinner at the WJ?

The theme for each night can be found in the app and cruise compass (i.e. Italian, Mediterranean, Caribbean, etc.)

That said, you never really know what you will find unless you check it out yourself. There are always random offerings that don't necessarily fit the theme.