Windjammer favorites!

zebra

If you're not a Windjammer fan - please scroll on by!

So what is your favorite dish, item etc on the Windjammer buffet.  Do you think that a Windjammer on a certain ship is much better then another?

We are huge curry fans, and loved the variety of curries on the Allure recently.  We also loved their various bread puddings ... yummy.

Paella (usually served for day one lunch)

Indian food, especially the butter chicken.

Most of the cook to order station items, especially mongolian bbq.

Crepe station for dessert.

Yes, not all WJ's are created equal.

• Like 1

Of all the things...

DW gets giddy at our first WJ meal for the raisin bread.  Yep, that's all it takes.  It is good, kind of brioche-like but I don't see it as that memorable.  To each their own.  I vote for the crepe station myself...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

DW gets giddy at our first WJ meal for the raisin bread

Someone elsewhere hyped this up A LOT so I had some toasted for me on Indy last month. I'll admit it was very good... for toasted raisin bread at least.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2

I like that you can try a lot of different things at Windjammer and eat whatever size portion you want. I'll eat smaller portions of different offerings.  I usually just do lunch and breakfast there but if I'm tired of the MDR or Specialty dining I'll do an occasional dinner, or if I'm getting back late from a day in port.

I enjoy the carving station and any paella type offerings. The Indian food too.

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Someone elsewhere hyped this up A LOT so I had some toasted for me on Indy last week. I'll admit it was very good... for toasted raisin bread at least.

We've all got our own priorities and for some it's raisin bread.  However, it somewhat justifies her opinion if others are echoing her...

Only found it one time but chinese duck. I got a lot of favorites.

The corn cupcakes with corn inside.  ..couldnt find them after first time but then found them one  more time in another section. I dont think they know what to call them. I told some lady about them and she tried one and loved it too. Kinda creamy like butter inside. 

Plantains if they are sweet. They were perfect on grandeur. Not sweet enough on liberty. I think grandeur wins so far for WJ for me. Rice and beans. Watermelon slices and salad. 

I'm a WJ fan. Pork belly. Twice got this. Mm hot french fries. 

Omelet station for breakfast. For lunch I loved the large salad bar on Explorer (offered every second day or so). Surprising because I’m not normally a salad person, but I looked forward to having one every day it was available. It’s like the chopped Tutti salad offered in the MDR lunch. I also enjoy the build your own pasta station when offered.

We don't eat at Windjammer every day and will eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner there at some point over a cruise.  I feel that newer ships have better choices and quality overall.  Breakfast is pretty standard.  I usually get an omelet and bacon 😁and am not disappointed.  I like that there are always steamed or sauteed veggie offerings at lunch and dinner.  I can't eat raw veggies anymore, so my beloved salad bar is out.  😔  My absolute favorite Windjammer offering is....mashed potatoes and gravy!  Go figure.  It is consistently good.  Odd thing is that I don't eat them very often at home.   

25 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

We don't eat at Windjammer every day and will eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner there at some point over a cruise.  I feel that newer ships have better choices and quality overall.  Breakfast is pretty standard.  I usually get an omelet and bacon 😁and am not disappointed.  I like that there are always steamed or sauteed veggie offerings at lunch and dinner.  I can't eat raw veggies anymore, so my beloved salad bar is out.  😔  My absolute favorite Windjammer offering is....mashed potatoes and gravy!  Go figure.  It is consistently good.  Odd thing is that I don't eat them very often at home.   

Son & hubby had mashed potatoes with whatever the stew of the day was ladled over.  It was their staple lunch!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broons77 said:

Of all the things...

DW gets giddy at our first WJ meal for the raisin bread.  Yep, that's all it takes.  It is good, kind of brioche-like but I don't see it as that memorable.  To each their own.  I vote for the crepe station myself...

I agree with your wife.  I love the what I call "royal bread".  Have a slice each morning when eating breakfast in the WJ.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I don't know what this chocolate desert was called but it was incredible. Chocolate moussed on the inside with chocolate ganache glaze on top.

IMG_6448.thumb.jpg.5b795c3c7948b16b606e2fe824b17567.jpg

I think they call it a chocolate bar. My wife loves them but she just eats the mousse and leaves the cake part, lol.

• Like 1

I prefer the MDR for dinner, but we usually do the WJ for breakfast and sometimes lunch. Breakfast is my favorite. I really enjoy the little avocado toasts they make with different toppings each day. I would get that with eggs/bacon and sometimes a pancake.

My ultimate favorite is the coconut ranger cookies.

• Like 1

Boarding day is potato leek soup.  Seems on more recent cruises, it's more just potato.  Coconut Ranger cookies for sure.  On more recent cruises, only available first day.  Did find some late in the week in the Cafe Promenade on the Allure. 

Love the Indian food at lunch and Mongolian buffet at night.  Like the various stations they do...Italian, Mexican also in the evenings like the Mongolian buffet.