Windjammer favorites!

zebra

3 hours ago, Broons77 said:

Of all the things...

DW gets giddy at our first WJ meal for the raisin bread.  Yep, that's all it takes.  It is good, kind of brioche-like but I don't see it as that memorable.  To each their own.  I vote for the crepe station myself...

I should have mentioned this in my favorites as well. That raisin bread is perfection!!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, denamo said:

Boarding day is potato leek soup.  Seems on more recent cruises, it's more just potato.  Coconut Ranger cookies for sure.  On more recent cruises, only available first day.  Did find some late in the week in the Cafe Promenade on the Allure. 

Love the Indian food at lunch and Mongolian buffet at night.  Like the various stations they do...Italian, Mexican also in the evenings like the Mongolian buffet.

We agree about the boarding day potato soup.  Always good, even though it definitely varies from ship to ship. 

26 minutes ago, CruiseBride926 said:

I love the Windjammer for breakfast. I don’t like eggs so I’m not usually a breakfast eater but on a cruise I could stock up on all of the yummy breakfast carbs that’s I don’t eat at home. I could live off of those hash browns 🤤

If you're talking about those hash brown pucks, I'm totally with you!!!

Too many curry’s and stews for me. Just off Liberty. There were about 3 types of those every meal.  I stuck with carved meat, mashed potatoes and a fry or two with gravy. Salad, burger, no bun.  Yep I’m boring. I saw fried chicken once.  The DH loves all the curry’s and stews.  I had trouble finding something to eat to be honest for dinner and made the DH return to the MDR with me.  I do like the variety and food there.  

Bacon Bacon Bacon and more Bacon.  Not that their Bacon is the best in the world.  But, it's unlimited and I believe in, "any port in a storm".   And I'm not picky, I just stick the tongs in and pull out what ever and enjoy.  My wife likes hers crispy so she has to sort through the pile of Bacon to get what she wants.  I'm sure it pi$$es of those behind her.  But, that's life.  But, I really don't do the Windjammer much anymore.  It's just gotten too much of a line to get in.  I don't know if it's because it is getting that much more popular or because of the Washy Washy or some other reason?  But, I will sneak in at times to grab a cookie or 5 and maybe a piece of cake or pie.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Bacon Bacon Bacon and more Bacon.  Not that their Bacon is the best in the world.  But, it's unlimited and I believe in, "any port in a storm".   And I'm not picky, I just stick the tongs in and pull out what ever and enjoy.  My wife likes hers crispy so she has to sort through the pile of Bacon to get what she wants.  I'm sure it pi$$es of those behind her.  But, that's life.  But, I really don't do the Windjammer much anymore.  It's just gotten too much of a line to get in.  I don't know if it's because it is getting that much more popular or because of the Washy Washy or some other reason?  But, I will sneak in at times to grab a cookie or 5 and maybe a piece of cake or pie.  

• Haha 3

Breakfast - smoked salmin and mackarel...and the sticky buns.

Drink: Strong Bloody Mary.

Lunch - pasta station (lots of garlic), crispy fried chicken or fish, and butter chicken. Drinj: Tokyo Ice Tea (LIIT with Midori)

Dinner - made to order Roti Roll. (Odyssey) Drink: Rusty Nail.

Best macadamia/chocolate chip cookies on the Ovation...heavenly.

There have been a few things mentioned that I've never noticed before and will need to look out for when we sail on Anthem next month. Butter chicken, raisin bread... DH is also a huge fan of the hash browns.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Too many curry’s and stews for me. Just off Liberty. There were about 3 types of those every meal.  I stuck with carved meat, mashed potatoes and a fry or two with gravy. Salad, burger, no bun.  Yep I’m boring. I saw fried chicken once.  The DH loves all the curry’s and stews.  I had trouble finding something to eat to be honest for dinner and made the DH return to the MDR with me.  I do like the variety and food there.  

This was my observation on Liberty back in 2015 -- lots of stews and mixed-up stuff in bowls with names I didn't recognize and no other info (allergy advisories, etc.)    So I called in some help, namely some friends in a band from Sweden*.  "I'm just a dumb Yank.  What are these dishes?"   

--But they didn't have any idea either.  
I remember the burgers near the back of the WJ were dreadful, and I thought maybe the food was modified for our charter cruise.  

Happily the WJ on the Independence has been much better (and better-labeled).  I liked the carved meats section in the back and the salad "island" since I make a mean salad when provoked.   

I don't recall seeing a Mongolian BBQ place on either ship, though.  I'm a Mongolian FIEND and I'm hoping they have something like that on the Freedom next January.  

The WJ hours were very odd, too, again due to the charter.  Closed from 5 pm to 7 pm, but open until at least 2 or 3 am.  

40 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

There have been a few things mentioned that I've never noticed before and will need to look out for when we sail on Anthem next month. Butter chicken, raisin bread... DH is also a huge fan of the hash browns.

Same here.  Lots of hidden gems to look for in the future!  I love raisin bread and very seldom get it.  

-----

* Therion

Edited by Pellaz

14 hours ago, Broons77 said:

Of all the things...

DW gets giddy at our first WJ meal for the raisin bread.  Yep, that's all it takes.  It is good, kind of brioche-like but I don't see it as that memorable.  To each their own.  I vote for the crepe station myself...

Yes!!!  I love the streizel bread!!  I even tried to make some when I got home, but it was a major fail.  Once, my friend even pirated a couple pieces off for me when they were cruising. 😊  Not sure why, but I love it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1