New Menu, as of May 2022

bambam

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Funny story. I was on the Carnival Vista's 11/16/16 sailing, which was an Inaugural season repo from NYC to Miami. At the start of the cruise in the MDR during dinnertime the tableware was consistently not set right. In other words, one seat had a salad fork, another didn't, another did. And it just was our table, every table was setup haphazardly this way. By the third night I asked to speak to the Maitre D' and showed him how the dining room staff wasn't properly setting up the dining tables. Either you set the table with a salad fork or you don't. While the Maitre D' apologised it was never done correctly for the whole cruise. It was apparent the Maitre D' or whomever was in charge of this didn't care enough to set expectations for the staff to follow. 

We were on the Vista Inaugural out of Trieste. Set right or not, at least we had more toys on the table. It had no impact on the taste of our food.

I've seen staff pilfer table settings from other stations when they didn't have enough for their own. I doubt the staff was really removing tableware from the MDR - I think more likely passengers played a part. I've seen passengers stealing those god awful fake shells. FFS.

_v.jpg

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I remember thinking I was going to be thrown in jail for cutting my spaghetti in Italy one time. Sheesh.

They SHOULD have to be honest. 😉😜
we use proper eating etiquette in Europe, because we are not pigs, except my son, he is still the champion of messy dining, especially during spaghetti night 🤪🥳🤗 ( he is 2n by the way)

Edited by Despegue
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, kwokpot said:

In the scheme of things, no it's not a major culinary faux pax, but as the world has become more interconnected thanks to the Internet and now social media, one would like to think as we become more knowledgeable about certain things that we are willing to adapt for a more authentic experience.

To tie this back to Carnival and food menus, the number one thing people love about the Mardi Gras is the different types of food that you can find on this ship. Who on earth would have thought a Carnival Ship would serve Shawarma? Steamed Sticky Rice and chicken in Lotus Leaf? These offerings broaden our knowledge and enjoyment of foods from other cultures. So if we have come to learn that the Italians don't traditionally break their Spaghetti when cooking it Carnival can update their cooking procedures for a more authentic experience. 

7 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Same here, it's spaghetti, not exactly a gourmet dish. It just makes a mess and is harder to eat when long. This reminds me of the great hot dog debate, some say only mustard (and extra onions for me) should go on a hot dog and get all bent out of shape when someone puts ketchup, mayo or other condiments. It's a hot dog, who cares? It's spaghetti, who cares? The only sin is not having good garlic bread to serve with it. Oh, and I mix my sauce with my noodles most of the time in one pot as well. 🤯     

Pasta ALWAYS needs to be mixed with the sauce in the pan before serving. Not doing so is a complete faux-pas and makes the dish tasteless.

As much as I enjoy CCL food I do wish they would have a more world wide diverse menu. The Indian vegetarian is yummy and they could add eve n more Asian etc inspirations.

the fruit soups though....makes one scared for one's life. 😄

Edited by Velvetwater
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

As much as I enjoy CCL food I do wish they would have a more world wide diverse menu. The Indian vegetarian is yummy and they could add eve n more Asian etc inspirations.

the fruit soups though....makes one scared for one's life. 😄

Yes, Vegan wife gets a wee bit tired of the same Indian Plate.....Question...6 day cruise...love prime rib. We are trying to plan the steakhouse visit, but don't want to miss the MDR Prime Rib night.  What night for Steakhouse?  We visit Steakhouse day of reservation, and the chef prepares an amazing Vegan dish for wife...very cool.!!

16 hours ago, wemjam said:

There it is!

So this is 7 days, what if we sail 6, any idea what menu we don't get... is it the last one on day 7? 

Trying to plan my steakhouse night

I think it's day 6 that will not be served as that's 2nd Formal Night.

18 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Yes, you're missing it, it's on the first Elegant night, day two. 

So....day 2 on a 6 day cruise..is a lobster/prime rib night in MDR? Want to do steakhouse, but don't want to miss Prime RIb night in MDR.

22 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

So....day 2 on a 6 day cruise..is a lobster/prime rib night in MDR? Want to do steakhouse, but don't want to miss Prime RIb night in MDR.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but yes I've always had elegant night on the 2nd night of a cruise.

The prime rib is good but it's not anything I'd lose sleep over if I did miss it. The steakhouse is a much better meal.

You can always wait to book the steakhouse for when you get onboard, unless you have to have a specific day or time or really want to pay for it before the cruise for some reason.

• Like 1

I love the chilled fruit soups.  You should have read the comments on the HAL board when sailing resumed and people realized they were gone from the menus!

But HAL has bread pudding in the buffet at lunch every day.  I'm not much for sweets (I often get a cheese plate instead of a sweet dessert), but I love to head up to the buffet just before it closes in mid-afternoon and get some bread pudding and a cup of tea.

OT but food related - I won't go to afternoon tea on Carnival anymore.  They just don't have a clue.  Come around with a box of tea bags.  Five minutes later, come around with the sweets.  Five minutes later, come around with some lukewarm water.  Ten minutes later, arrive with the milk you requested, to put into your now-cold tea.  Maybe, at some point, when you're ready to leave, they might show up with the tray of savory items.  SMH.

Not to sound like I'm now a HAL snob, but they do afternoon tea the correct way.  Pots of PG Tips brewed and poured upon being seated.  Tower of mixed savory and sweet treats on the table.  Milk on the table.  They'll bring the box of "other" teas and hot water upon request.  And they do afternoon tea every day.  That's going to be great on my 16-night Rotterdam TA next spring! 😁

9 hours ago, Despegue said:

They SHOULD have to be honest. 😉😜
we use proper eating etiquette in Europe, because we are not pigs, except my son, he is still the champion of messy dining, especially during spaghetti night 🤪🥳🤗 ( he is 2n by the way)

My faux pas was decades ago, perhaps before you were born. Now I just order pizza and eat with my hands like everyone else.

• Haha 2

I had some menus downloaded, but they were before May.  However, I don't see a lot of difference.  We are on an 8 day cruise and wonder if the 8th day has changed.  I checked the menus I had and the 8th day is not the same as the 1st or any other night.  We have specialty dining booked that we used the menus I have to decide and I want to make sure we aren't missing something we like in the MDR.  

Thanks!

On 8/8/2022 at 1:54 PM, kwokpot said:

I was on the Pride for 31 days with this menu. One issue I had is the Day 6 Elegant Night Menu, the appetiser called Stuffed Mushrooms. What actually came out was about two teaspoons of finely minced mushrooms with some the other listed ingredients sprinkled around it. It was finished in one swallow and frankly an embarrassment.  Proper stuffed Mushrooms can be had at the steakhouse and they are yummy there.

We have a 16 day cruise coming up.  Did the 7 day menu just continually repeat itself or were additional menus offered for days 8 and beyond?  Thanks.

45 minutes ago, farjar said:

We have a 16 day cruise coming up.  Did the 7 day menu just continually repeat itself or were additional menus offered for days 8 and beyond?  Thanks.

Additional menus. If you do back to back you see the same menus.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Additional menus. If you do back to back you see the same menus.

Exactly. One of the additional menus not shown on the link above is an Italian Night where the menu was almost a carbon copy of La Cucina from the Mardi Gras, minus several things. Unfortunately most of the entrees wasn't as well prepared as on the Mardi Gras but I did have the grilled fish from that menu and that was good. The spaghetti Carbonara was very good. Don't get the lasagna.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, kwokpot said:

I would go for the first night so you get the complementary bottle of wine!

you can go first or second night for the free bottle of wine. we went the second night to the steakhouse  in may and july  . you get free wine or half off nicer bottles. we use to go the first night till we found out we could get our wine fix second night. the first night is always a zoo too many people. no one there second because of lobster in MDR 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

That site posts them monthly and always claims that they are new.  They are the same as my cruise in November was.  

Thanks, I figured when I saw all the ads it was just blogspam.