Honolulu Suggestions

groundloop

We'll be on a Carnival cruise next month to Hawaii.  We're doing a Carnival excursion in the morning that will get us back to the port around 4 PM, since the ship doesn't depart until 11 PM I'm looking for ideas for something else to do that evening.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked the Star of Honolulu for a sun set dinner cruise. They have three levels for choice of type of diner you want buffet, standard sit down, and higher end experience. It's only a few hours for us it will be 5:30 - 7:30 check in 4:45. It is near where I was told we are docking on Princess in Oct.

Now just need to find something to do we haven't done before earlier in the day.

On 8/20/2022 at 6:36 AM, latebloomer56 said:

We booked the Star of Honolulu for a sun set dinner cruise. They have three levels for choice of type of diner you want buffet, standard sit down, and higher end experience. It's only a few hours for us it will be 5:30 - 7:30 check in 4:45. It is near where I was told we are docking on Princess in Oct.

Now just need to find something to do we haven't done before earlier in the day.

I just checked out their website. I am anxious to see how it goes for you. We are on Princess in February and was looking for a luau or sunset dinner . Nice suggestion.

14 hours ago, 93yearsyoung said:

The sunset dinner cruises are not noted for the quality of the food. It is worth doing once for the view and entertainment, but for the same money you can get a great meal at a top restaurant.

I'm honestly not looking to do this for the food, but rather the 'experience' and being able to see more of Hawaii while we're there.  My wife mentioned wanting to go to a luau, which I'm not really into, and I see that this dinner cruise has a show so I'll count that as close enough.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I'm honestly not looking to do this for the food, but rather the 'experience' and being able to see more of Hawaii while we're there.

It's obviously whatever you want to do but we had family do this a few years ago and they weren't thrilled they did it-- the word they used was "hokey". Frankly the views are better from the beach looking out than the ocean looking back at Honolulu/Waikiki-- you're just looking back at a big city. Its not like you are cruising along Na Pali Coast looking at Hawaii's natural features. 

30 minutes ago, groundloop said:

My wife mentioned wanting to go to a luau, which I'm not really into, and I see that this dinner cruise has a show so I'll count that as close enough.

If your wife wants a luau this isn't going to be a real consolation prize-- I believe it's a brief hula show with a couple dancers from what our family told us. I'm not big into luaus either so I get it but you might have a way better experience going over to House Without a Key and listening to the authentic Hawaiian live music and hula show.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

..... but you might have a way better experience going over to House Without a Key and listening to the authentic Hawaiian live music and hula show.

I'll look into that.  Will we need reservations?

38 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I'll look into that.  Will we need reservations?

Reservations highly recommended-- occasionally you can walk up but you will end up seated further away from the music/hula dancing. Its at Halekulani which is far and away the best hotel in Honolulu. Beautiful setting outside looking out towards the water. You can get lighter food there but the dining options at Halekulani are excellent-- their more casual all day dining option Orchids is excellent. (also would recommend a reservation). 

Lewers Lounge is dark and comfortable and great for some jazz later in the evening if you want to linger. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

I'm honestly not looking to do this for the food, but rather the 'experience' and being able to see more of Hawaii while we're there.  My wife mentioned wanting to go to a luau, which I'm not really into, and I see that this dinner cruise has a show so I'll count that as close enough.

It might be one of those things you are glad you did.....  because you will then know to never do it again  😁🤣

Princeton123's remarks are spot on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Scott and Princeton….
Just booked  House Without a Key on your recommendation. Looks VERY appealing. Just the cocktail/ sunset hours, then back to ship on  our second day there to have dinner and watch our departure.  Excited already and it’s 5+ months away! 

Edited by muffin
Error
  • Like 3