Unwanted & unsolicited YC "upgrade"

awkward_octopus

Hey everyone. Our family of four originally booked an Aurea Two-Bedroom Grand Suite on Deck 11 of the Seaview embarking Sept 30. We specifically booked the two-bedroom room to have a bit of privacy from our children at night and also because we plan to entertain my elderly parents in the room after the kids are in bed. At some point between when I originally booked (Nov 25, 2021) and when I did final payment (June 19, 2022) our cabin had been changed to Deck 18 in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite. I was never notified in any way about the change, and had I been asked I would have refused it. While this may be an upgrade in level of service, it's a huge downgrade in the room itself as we've lost half our space and the luxury of separate bedrooms & living space. I understand that for some the YC would be a welcome upgrade even with a smaller room, but for us the space is more important.

When I contacted MSC support I was told that the upgrade was given to us because I booked under the "FREE BALCONY UPGRADE" promotion which, the agent tells me, means they will automatically upgrade me to a new stateroom some time after I've booked. I don't think the agent was correct because that might be the silliest thing I've ever heard. The promotion is advertised as "get a balcony room for the price of an oceanview" and nothing more. She refused to do anything for me because there are no 2-bedroom suites left, and according to her I implicitly agreed to the upgrade by booking under this promotion. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told their supervisors don't take phone calls and to email their support instead, which I did a week ago and still haven't heard back.

Looking for advice on what to try next. I suggested in my email to support that they just upgrade someone else instead of me, which seems like a reasonable request. I can also see that the Yacht Club Royal Suite is available which would certainly satisfy us but I doubt they would accommodate. Should I just try phoning in again hoping to get a more competent agent? Or is there a more direct way of escalating my issue?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately they can change your stateroom and they explain that right in the booking confirmation email you received when you booked the cruise. I don’t believe the agent you spoke to gave you the correct reason. I agree with you. 
We just booked Divina for December and this was in the confirmation email. See where it says “stateroom number” in the pic below. 

Coincidentally on our first ever MSC cruise we booked an aft balcony and we were upgraded to the YC for free 2 days before the cruise. I wasn’t happy because I really wanted the larger aft balcony but boy am I glad they couldn’t switch us back because it was an incredible experience. 
In your case though I wouldn’t be pleased to go from a 2 room suite to 1 room. But I think you will enjoy the YC and all of its perks. Unfortunately if they’re telling you the original room isn’t available I think you’re out of luck unless you can get them to give you adjoining rooms in the YC. 
9DA97199-2B82-42B0-B2C7-F1ED133D0C8F.thumb.jpeg.04b8b5b9593962639d11353838152e98.jpeg

Edited by styles27

The agent you spoke with had no clue what they were talking about as that was completely incorrect. And unfortunately you won't be getting your old cabin back, unless someone happens to cancel in that category. They won't kick out whomever is in there now. Been dealing with MSC for 14 years, so am used to hearing about things like this. In my book, MSC stands for Most Surely Changes.

Bret

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

The agent you spoke with had no clue what they were talking about as that was completely incorrect. And unfortunately you won't be getting your old cabin back, unless someone happens to cancel in that category. They won't kick out whomever is in there now. Been dealing with MSC for 14 years, so am used to hearing about things like this. In my book, MSC stands for Most Surely Changes.

Bret

So do MSC regularly change booked and confirmed cabins? We are looking for them first time so any insight would be appreciated.

The OPs post has given me pause for thought. I’ll be interested to see if they manage to get a satisfactory outcome.

9 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

I’ve had some success contacting MSC at MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com. Some others not so much but it doesn’t hurt to try. Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestion. I booked through MSC Canada (msccruies.ca), do you know if MSC USA would still be able to help me?

5 minutes ago, awkward_octopus said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I booked through MSC Canada (msccruies.ca), do you know if MSC USA would still be able to help me?

Yes, you can try the US based phone numbers but keep trying until you get someone who *seems* competent as so many (unfortunately) are not.

• Thanks 1

What a bummer!  The truth is that every cruise line has language in their cruise contracts (nobody ever reads this stuff) giving the cruise line the right to change one's cabin.   So what to do?  Calling MSC, again, is a good idea,  Also e-mailing them (and making a copy of the e-mail to take along on your cruise) is a good idea.  Once you are aboard, you might want to pay a quiet visit to the Concierge Desk in the Yacht Club and explain your situation.  One possible compromise would be if MSC would allow your parents to have full access the YC facilities, since it was MSC's action that has created the problem.  I have no clue whether they would grant this request, but I would certainly try arguing the case.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

So do MSC regularly change booked and confirmed cabins? We are looking for them first time so any insight would be appreciated.

The OPs post has given me pause for thought. I’ll be interested to see if they manage to get a satisfactory outcome.

Changes are made occasionally but that’s not the norm.. MSC assigned new staterooms due to operational or marketing reasons..

We’ve been on 8 cruises with MSC so far ( 7 x Yacht Club and 1 x Aurea ) and never had a change of stateroom. On the contrary, I called several times and asked for another stateroom in a better location when a room came back as available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Where/how did you find the unwanted upgrade?

When I tried to link my reservation with my parents' for dining I was given an error about "incompatible experience" or something to that effect, which clued me in to something being amiss. Then I looked in my inbox at the second booking confirmation I received (after final payment) and saw that my cabin had been changed to YC. 

1 hour ago, awkward_octopus said:

When I tried to link my reservation with my parents' for dining I was given an error about "incompatible experience" or something to that effect, which clued me in to something being amiss. Then I looked in my inbox at the second booking confirmation I received (after final payment) and saw that my cabin had been changed to YC. 

Ok... On the one in a million chance that we get upgraded.....I will know where to look

Just got off the phone with another MSC agent who was significantly more competent. She understood the issue, but was pretty insistent there was nothing she could do for me as the class of room I booked was now sold out. She did offer to move me into an Aurea Whirlpool Suite which I obviously refused.

I brought up that we would not be able to dine with my parents in the YC dining room which kind of kills the upgrade for us. I inquired about having my parents bumped to YC, but the only YC room remaining is the Royal Suite which she made clear wasn't an option.

Lastly, I suggested that they give someone else in a 2bdrm suite the upgrade to YC and have them trade rooms with us. I suspect this is a long shot but she did say she would go to her manager and see what was possible. I'm currently waiting on a call back with the results of that.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts/advice so far. Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

Maybe I got your concern wrong, but if you had no intent in staying in the YC at all, why would you not use the room and disregard the lounge/restaurant? You didn't pay for any of this anyway, and should be able to eat at regular buffets/restaurants with the rest of your family?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, iwtobek said:

Maybe I got your concern wrong, but if you had no intent in staying in the YC at all, why would you not use the room and disregard the lounge/restaurant? You didn't pay for any of this anyway, and should be able to eat at regular buffets/restaurants with the rest of your family?

OP stated privacy and space as the primary reasons of selecting a 2-bedroom cabin.  While a YC cabin is an upgrade as far as onboard experience is concerned, it's a major downgrade on both privacy and space.

An analogy I can think of is that you are a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) and signed a lease for a 2-bedroom apartment.  Then on move-in date, you found out the management company "upgraded" you to a penthouse studio at no additional cost.  Is that really an "upgrade"?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iwtobek said:

Yeah... To an extent... Problem is that OP purchased a product and was offered another different product. It doesn't matter on whether it is better or worse product. It is different. So, let them to solve the issue the better way possible at this time frame.

That said: Better to read carefully what some promos are. "Get a ocean view for the price of an inside" means in cruising's world, what here in CC is known by a guaranteed room plus one category if there are rooms on said category. That said, I believe they have just given you what you paid out. If you want to go outside of the promos, you can make a definite call on that cabin, but you must explicitly state that on your booking.

5 hours ago, iwtobek said:

Two reasons mainly,

• I booked a 2 bedroom suite with 527 square feet + 182 square foot balcony, and now I'm being given a "deluxe suite" with no separate bedrooms at 269 square feet + 86 square foot balcony
  • My understanding is that my parents won't even be able to enter our stateroom if they're not also part of YC, which ruins our plans for entertaining them in our suite & having them occasionally babysit

6 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

You can have guests in your YC room only, I have done this already but I always tell the YC manager so there’s no issues. 

It will be a little crowded with 4 adults and 2 children, the balcony is also small

On 8/12/2022 at 1:48 AM, Eglesbrech said:

Yes and if you call them they will screw up your booking even more.

How about booking a Yacht club Grand suite and getting a balcony on deck 8 for no reduction in fare and no access to YC.

It happened to me last year.

PXL_20210925_124436611.MP~3.jpg

• Thanks 2