The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 12th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Annual Perseid Meteor Shower, National Kool-Aid Day, and National Vinyl Record Day

It's the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.--Marlene Dietrich

Meal Suggestion for today - Sake nigiri sushi
Drink of the Day - Peachy Keen
Wine of the Day - Ponzi 2017 Reserve Pinot Noir (Chehalem Mountains)
Destination of the Day - South Queensferry (Edinburgh), Scotland, United Ki

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland 07:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth, Scotland 08:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Boston, Massachuse eta 08/13

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0812World.thumb.png.cfea4aa57cd6afc579730ae1481ef665.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Good morning and thank you for the Fleet and Daily Report.

It's a cool morning here, only 8C (47F).  Brrrr    I hope it warms up again soon.

Love watching the meteor shower.  I haven't had kool-aid in years.  We still have lots of vinyl records in the den.

Great quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not a fan of sushi.

The drink sounds good, hope the wine is tasty too.

We're supposed to be in Edinburgh next June.  Thanks in advance for pictures and comments.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Good afternoon.

It is currently 30°C and sunny.

We have seen the meteor showers previously and they were impressive.

I sold records in the 1980s and vinyl records were very popular then and are making a revival now 

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Wishing everyone a safe and healthy day.

Breakfast this morning.

Graham.

IMG_20220812_084034.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion, instead we will have lasagna with some wine.  Another beautiful day with humidity falling.  This weekend is sales tax free weekend, DH will be dragging me to the Lego store!  I have no work meetings on my calendar today which will allow me to catch up on some other work.  I hope everyone has a nice Friday.

image.thumb.png.c803edabd3c2f999873505e004be9c0e.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Today is a double sad day for us. It is the 7th anniversary of our daughter in laws death when she was 39 years old. She died two weeks after being diagnosed with cancer and left behind her parents, our son and our 9 year old grandson.

This morning we will be attending the funeral of a dear friend we met in 1958 when he and Sam were in dental school together.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 8
  • Thanks 20

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Quite the marine layer this morning. The sun has not even broken through yet. We actually ended up having a T-storm with a bit of rain yesterday, so perhaps the Saharan Dust has released its control.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning fellow Rich fans! Today we celebrate Rich’s start to his new year. Hope it is a great year!

Just one early class for me today. Then prep work for tomorrow evening at my place. Tonight heading to dinner with friends. They are going to share their pictures and stories from their recent Alaska trip. 

In reality wireless technology might make birds use trees more. Probably healthier for them. And yet one more reason to plant more trees. 

EEE75C88-F48D-4408-B216-2706E57E30A8.jpeg.39ea18b23afc32e74da2370f129a0423.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Ponzi 2017 Reserve Pinot Noir

“Young and fresh and racy and tight” - an interesting description for a wine. I have always enjoyed a Pinot Noir, but gravitate towards fuller bodied ones. This one comes with quite excellent - superb reviews and a price just outside of my budget. But would love a taste. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $55.94.

Winemaker Notes

This perfumed nose holds spice notes of clove, anise and cinnamon underlaid by lilac, lavender and cherry wood aromatics. The mouth is focused and structured with long tannins laced with chocolate nibs, sweet bing cherries and rich notes of dried fig and black tea.

JS95 James Suckling

Attractive ripe and pure red cherry fruit that is nicely framed in spice, conifer-forest and sweet-earth elements. The palate has a bold heart of concentrated red-cherry flavor and delivers a bold, youthful and succulent finish. Impressive. Drink or hold.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast

A refined, almost delicate sensibility is at work here. This is the most Burgundian of the high-end Ponzi Pinots, young and fresh and racy and tight. The bright raspberry and cherry fruit is compact and set up with balanced acidity and proportionate, ripened tannins. Notes of herb and citrus are in the background, as is the impact of aging in 30% new French oak. Drink 2024–2030. Cellar Selection. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Happy Birthday and thank you for the TGIF report Rich.  I haven't had Kool Aid in many years, and not a big fan of the meteor shower.  I used to have a big collection of Vinyl records but the turntable died years ago.  They have made a great comeback.  I remember disembarking my first Prinsendam cruise at Edinburgh in 2011, 11 years ago tomorrow.  I love the Dietrich quote but will pass on the sushi.  My alternative is Chilled Red Grape and Cranberry Soup with Orange-Ginger Pork, my last dinner of my first cruise on the Elegant Explorer.

Today’s care list:

HorizonChaser1957 DD endangered in Taiwan
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems and rebound Covid
RIP Koningsdam entertainer Anthony Lorenzo Hopkins 8/9/22
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome resting cruse face
Happy Birthday Rich

Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Copper10_8 on the move
Welcome home Live4cruises
5 days for Av8rix (Zuiderdam 8/17 to 8/31)
2 days for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mister67 (Equinox  to 8/13), AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Peachy Keen cocktail:

Ingredients

1.5oz anejo tequila
0.5oz bourbon
0.5oz peach jam (1 tablespoon)
0.5oz lime juice
0.25oz light agave syrup

Instructions
Place all ingredients into a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake well. Double strain into a glass with a large ice cube. Garnish with a slice of peach if desired.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 8.02.28 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Good morning friends!  It's a cool morning here in A squared.  It was 50F when we woke but the sun is trying mightily to warm us up.  Happy Birthday Rich @richwmnand thanks so much for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  Ren arrived home last night after Jag's practice and spending the prior night at his teammates house.  Missed him!  This morning we will all go to brunch and then DH and I will start our 4 hour drive back down to Cincy to stay at DD's house again.  We will have a nice luncheon tomorrow to celebrate DH's birthday.  Our DGD is home for a short visit from her summer stay in Tampa.  She goes to college there and had two jobs this summer so none of us have seen her in a while.  

Interesting group of days on our Daily.  Perseid meteor showers, Kool-aid and vinyl record day.  Besides records and chocolate Graham @grapau27what else have you sold?  You obviously did quite well as a salesman!  I like the quote.  Will have to see about the sushi but I doubt it. 

Carol, @mamaofamiI'm sorry today is a painful one for you and your family.  That was a tragedy losing your DDIL so young!  Prayers for you all as you continue to mourn her loss.  Also prayers for all here on the Daily, and our Ukraine friends.  Cheers for our friends cruising and celebrating other happy events.  

South Queensferry was last port of the day March 12, 2021 (page 58 on Rich's posting activity pages).  We were there one time and across the bridge in Rosyth another time.  It's a short drive to Edinburgh from there.

Here are my photos from March 12 last year.  

As to Port of the Day, South Queensferry, we were there in 2015 on Royal Princess.  On the Prinsendam in 2018 we docked across the bridge in Rosyth.  In South Queensferry we took a tender to the pier and were greeted by a band of bagpipes.  The weather was a little drippy but at least it wasn't pouring.  Instead of a tour, we paid for 2 tickets on a shuttle bus to Edinburgh.  It was a private company that ran the buses back and forth.  I suppose this red bridge is the one that crosses between South Queensferry and Rosyth, Scotland.  Since South Queensferry is on the south side of the River Forth, along with Edinburgh, we didn't have to cross it.  enhance

We arrived in Edinburgh and given the location to pick up the return bus when ready.  Then we headed to Edinburgh castle for a tour.  There were military personnel there holding things up for a bit but we were lucky to get to watch them for a while.  This was in May, not in Tattoo time (August).enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We left and walked down The Royal Mile passing St. Giles Cathedral.enhance

With the gray skies and gray buildings it sure looked gloomy.  On a sunny day it would be a whole other story.  We walked the entire length of The Royal Mile but I have hundreds of photos and can't share them all here.  At the other end, we planned on visiting the Palace of Holyrood House.  But someone else had plans for Holyrood House so it was closed for the day. enhance

Sticking my phone and camera through the iron gates I got this photo of the palace.enhance

And moments later we got to see the hoopla as the royal guest left for a meeting somewhere.enhance

Holding my phone overhead I got this photo of The Royal Mile.enhance

We walked quite a bit around Edinburgh and I was able to find a spot to take this photo of Edinburgh Castle.enhance

My goodness, I have hundreds more photos but have to stop.  But this last photo was one of the most enjoyable moments of the day - looking out from our balcony as our ship left South Queensferry later in the day and seeing sights like this beautiful hillside.enhance

Edited to add that I looked for this prior posting of photos from Edinburgh on both mine and Rich's activity list.  His was only on page 58, but mine took forever to scroll back because it was on page 150.  A lot more work for me so I will continue to use Rich's list!  A tip for those who start using this method.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone.  

I guess I slept in today.   Felt good!  It is going to be a lovely day here in mid-Michigan.  I meet with the real estate agent at 11:00 am.  We'll see what he has to say.  

Happy Birthday, Rich.  @richwmn  I hope your day is out of this world wonderful. 

860632471_HappyBirthday3.jpg.1cd1fa40d3686c9d6b2b5a276a368b52.jpg

Sake nigiri sushi is a traditional Japanese type of nigiri sushi. It consists of hand-pressed sushi rice that's topped with slices of salmon. The dish has a soft texture and a clean finish that makes it good for sushi newcomers, although the flavor can be a bit fishier than maguro (tuna) nigiri sushi.

Traditionally, this type of sushi is eaten by hand in a single bite. It's usually accompanied by soy sauce, wasabi, or pickled ginger (gari) on the side.  https://www.tasteatlas.com/sake-nigiri-sushi#:~:text=Sake nigiri sushi is a,maguro (tuna) nigiri sushi.

Making sushi at home is easier than you think, and a lot less expensive than ordering it at a restaurant. The sticky rice holds together well and is easy to work with, but if you’re having trouble forming the rice balls, dip your hands in a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar. Rinsing the rice under running water before cooking also removes excess surface starch, which can sometimes make the rice too sticky. Serve with miso soup, a seaweed salad, steamed edamame, and sake. In lieu of salmon, try topping the rice with grilled shiitake mushroom caps, or slices of mango.

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/salmon-nigiri

1405993574_sakenigiri2.thumb.jpg.b4c91a0a43141c0cc308165648b9788a.jpgWishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

This is what I posted on March 12, 2021, when South Queensferry was last our port of the day.

We have been to Edinburgh/South Queensferry twice.

The first time (2009 - Grand Princess), we took a ship’s tour of Edinburgh.  During the included lunch at a hotel, the fire alarms went off and we had to evacuate 😱!  Turns out it was a minor incident with a hairdryer.

100_4869.thumb.jpg.1e7399fa7ae6420c70d58f5d8617c41a.jpg

DH definitely had his priorities when the fire alarms went off 😉

100_4861.thumb.jpg.0aea19b84fac98a3fb6d5caa83318b83.jpg

The second time was in 2014 - Ruby Princess.  We took a ship's tour called St. Andrews on Your Own.  Thoroughly enjoyed our time walking the Old Course (and spending a small fortune in the shops).  Messed up our Swilken Bridge photo op by not getting the clubhouse in the background -- oh well, maybe next time 🤞.

IMG_0224.thumb.jpg.9afb07f4acc30c6194f163aa653449e5.jpg

IMG_0229.thumb.jpg.6a595e6c35403d4a942dc928e818a7de.jpg

IMG_0227.thumb.jpg.cc65aadf7396a5038e61101d64c3eab3.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone!

Kay

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6