Missed Final Payment

13cheermom

Understand the parents with medical issues situation. Hope they're in good health. I get a reminder from my big-box travel agent but I do keep a date reminder as a backup. Hope you find a cool cruise for less money!

Edited by ChutChut
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 11:42 AM, ninjacat123 said:

I haven't received an email from Carnival for my upcoming Thanksgiving cruise but maybe that's because I have final payment scheduled to be paid with my credit card.  I'm going to pay it off with my Carnival gift cards (10% off, yeah!!) but it's good to have a safety net.

Where do you order it to get 10% off? Please share 😄

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 7:29 AM, 13cheermom said:

Yes you are correct, hence why I decided to take back the deposit and use it somewhere else for this particular timeframe.  It's not feasible to lose that much credit and pay more for the cruise. But this OP was just to let others know that sometimes you don't receive these reminder emails anymore that used to be automatic.  

I appreciate this thread. I am VERY forgetful. 

I ended up canceling my other subscriptions that I was meaning to cancel before I got charged extra. There was some good that came out of this thread bc you posted it. 

Thanks.

Let us know where you book next. 

Happy cruising. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I normally book through a travel agent. I always received a reminder about the final payment. This time I booked through my Carnival PVP. I just assumed that I would receive a reminder email. Now I know better. I marked my paper calendar as well as my electronic calendar. I’m glad for this post. Thanks.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

I am usually on top of things, however have elderly parents with medical issues, so my mind has been elsewhere.  Not an excuse, but rather a reason as to how this slipped up on me. It was only 5 days, so it was in the back of my mind just not front and center.  Lesson was learned and going forward I will be on track again.  Thanks!

I just read this part. I 100% understand why it slipped your mind. I hope everyone is doing better. 

It's stuff like this that really puts things into perspective what is truly important. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

Where do you order it to get 10% off? Please share 😄

I order gift cards through Allstate Insurance.  You don't have to have insurance with Allstate (though we do) just establish an account.  There is a thread here that regularly posts codes that add points to your account. Search CC for Allstate.  Using said codes you can build points (plus once a day you can check into Allstate rewards and get 50 points) and when you have accumulated 1000 points (I know it sounds like a lot but the codes can be worth 2000 a time) you can purchase a Carnival gift card worth $1000 for $900.  Let me know if you have more questions.  I wish I would have known about this a couple years ago🤑

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I order gift cards through Allstate Insurance.  You don't have to have insurance with Allstate (though we do) just establish an account.  There is a thread here that regularly posts codes that add points to your account. Search CC for Allstate.  Using said codes you can build points (plus once a day you can check into Allstate rewards and get 50 points) and when you have accumulated 1000 points (I know it sounds like a lot but the codes can be worth 2000 a time) you can purchase a Carnival gift card worth $1000 for $900.  Let me know if you have more questions.  I wish I would have known about this a couple years ago🤑

Thank you. Yes I wish I knew this years ago. I appreciate your help!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrSea said:

I am NOT an Allstate customer...are they listening?  Ok, good!  But by learning what's what through this site I've accumulated 310000 points.  You get 50 points once a day just for logging in, and then games and codes and voila ... 10% off all things Carnival.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RD64 said:

which seem to be $0 out of pocket. 

You might want to revisit the original post that said they lost out on $434 FCC. So many of the commenters on this thread are quick to remind OP that they are an adult when OP already owned up to their mistake. I think this thread is still really beneficial to remind others to consider how they're handling regular/final payments. No need to be rude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Roscoe13 said:

I am NOT an Allstate customer...are they listening?  Ok, good!  But by learning what's what through this site I've accumulated 310000 points.  You get 50 points once a day just for logging in, and then games and codes and voila ... 10% off all things Carnival.

6 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Very cool. Do the gift cards work on sister brands like PCL or HAL? 

7 hours ago, DrSea said:

You can also join AARP for a minimal fee (and you don’t have to be a certain age anymore) and no need to earn points. You can order 5 cards/month. $100 or $500 each for 10% discount. They sometimes have cards for other lines as well but some have different rules. Carnivals can be used for anything Carnival.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 10:04 AM, mz-s said:

I don't see how this is anyone's fault but your own?

Certainly your right to not book with Carnival anymore for any reason, but to blame them because you forgot your payment date is beyond the pale in my opinion.

I forgot to pay my water bill one month and got a late fee. I called and asked them to waive it as it was a mistake, but they declined and I paid it. I didn't blame their nonexistent "glitches" for my forgetting to pay the bill. It was my fault.

Particularly when they refunded her deposit as a goodwill gesture.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:50 PM, cruizergal70 said:

Does Carnival really need to communicate payment dates and multiple reminders? Why? I keep these details in my head and if I need a reminder,  I put it in my phone. 

It is hard to imagine forgetting dates when we are surrounded with technology we can use to give ourselves reminders.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 3:02 PM, notscb said:

I think you missed the part where they said  "I lost $600 OBC, $434 FCC, and the rate went up by $440." I can see where losing that much in addition to the rate increase would have me shopping around to a different line for a better price if I could find one.

To be fair though, it wasn't really expressed as 'I'm going to look for a better deal elsewhere' so much as 'they did me wrong and I'm going to punish them'.  That may or may not have been the intent, but that is how they came across, IMO.

I would also add that it is exactly because life can get crazy that they made calendar and alarm apps for phones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrSea said:

Very cool. Do the gift cards work on sister brands like PCL or HAL? 

Carnival gift cards only work on Carnival cruise lines.  AARP  rewards, however, does offer discounted gift cards for Princess and Holland America.  

Edited by Calnev1
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, Island Dog said:

Wouldn't a late fee be in order (like every other industry)? I don't blame her one bit for moving on, there's other ships in da sea.

There was a late fee involved, the removal of the OBC and FCC that Carnival had given them that were attached to the sailing that came to over 1000.00.  Combined with the price increase, the OP decided to move on.  It's their choice and a lesson learned.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DrSea said:

AARP has the cards as well.  You do have to be a member, but they have the e cards in stock more often than Allstate does.  The cards are good for everything.  Deposit, final payment and all purchases on board as well as before sailing, so basically 10% off of everything.

OP, I hope you can make lemonade from this lemon! Sometimes the unexpected can push us to try something different and discover something we wouldn't have otherwise.

A few years ago we had only cruised on NCL and were booked on the NCL Joy as it returned to the US from its initial run in China. They were retooling the ship for the western market and we were on the second cruise in the US. However, they ran into delays on the makeover and much to our disappointment our cruise was canceled. Perfectly understandable but we had zero flexibility on vacation times and searched for a replacement.

NCL didn't have any we liked much, and we noticed for the same price as the mini-suite we were going to get on NCL we could get a suite in the Yacht Club on the MSC Seaside so we gave that a shot. (The Yacht Club is their equivalent of NCL's Haven "ship within a ship", and back then it was about half the price of a similar Haven cabin) It was one of the most wonderful cruises we've ever been on, and since then have taken two more MSC cruises and loved them both as well.

I hope you can have a similar experience if you do decide to try out another line. Good luck!

Edited by karmamule
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DrSea said:

You can also get 10% off Carnival cards through AARP and Citi Cards Citi Easy Deals (which is where I usually get all mine).

Do keep in mind, while you can use these gift cards to pay for anything with Carnival before and while on board, if you have to cancel anything for any reason you will be reimbursed in Carnival gift cards as well.  You will not get cash back, so once purchased your $ is tied to Carnival until it is spent.

I have a Carnival cruise in November.  Due date for final payment is 9/3.  I have already received 2 email reminders from Carnival.  Last one had "Urgent" in the title, so it scared me thinking I almost missed my payment date.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:00 PM, UPNYGuy said:

Doesnt the initial email you get from Carnival tell you when the final payment is due? I know it tells you when you log in and view the booking.

I know the email from my TA tells me in black bold font the final payment date.

Yes it does.

28 minutes ago, bstel said:

I have a Carnival cruise in November.  Due date for final payment is 9/3.  I have already received 2 email reminders from Carnival.  Last one had "Urgent" in the title, so it scared me thinking I almost missed my payment date.

I hate that fake "Urgent" designation! I received one like that a month in advance for a payment due and when I saw the attention line in my emails I immediately thought that my paid-off Celebration trans atlantic had been canceled!