ONLY Cruise Royal Oasis CLASS

hollon

2 hours ago, hollon said:

I've only cruise royal caribbean, the bigger ships, I'd like to try NCL, what ship would you recommend. I'm active in my 50s and kids are in their 20s.  Thanks

Escape, Bliss, Joy, Encore (and Breakaway and Getaway to a lesser extent) are about the size of Quantum class ships. 

• Like 3

What specifically is it that you like about the Oasis class ships? If it's truly just size, then yeah... what folks said above is true. 

But if it's amenities/activities, there's some slightly different things to be found among the different ships. Prima is the newest. Breakaway Plus is the largest. Breakaway still has a bunch of options for fun-stuff that are a bit different from what is on most Breakaway+. 

Look at the deck plans for the Prima, Breakaway Plus, and Breakaway class of ships. Focus on the top few decks as that's where the 'fun' stuff will be found and you can compare which ships have race carts, laser tag, water slides, ropes courses, etc etc.

image.thumb.png.f5239d5e43a03b0b92a3c3b2e47c378d.png

https://cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/cruiseline.php?line=Norwegian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

What specifically is it that you like about the Oasis class ships? If it's truly just size, then yeah... what folks said above is true. 

But if it's amenities/activities, there's some slightly different things to be found among the different ships. Prima is the newest. Breakaway Plus is the largest. Breakaway still has a bunch of options for fun-stuff that are a bit different from what is on most Breakaway+. 

Look at the deck plans for the Prima, Breakaway Plus, and Breakaway class of ships. Focus on the top few decks as that's where the 'fun' stuff will be found and you can compare which ships have race carts, laser tag, water slides, ropes courses, etc etc.

Thank you.  I like the layout of the ships and things to do, not just sit and lay out in the sun per su. We love trivia, plus good entertainment.  I'm a hyper person who likes to stay busy, but also I like to sit on my balcony and drink my coffee in the morning/afternoon 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

These ships look very nice.  Do you recommend one over the other?  I'm ready to go outside of Royal Caribbean

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hollon said:

I've only cruise royal caribbean, the bigger ships, I'd like to try NCL, what ship would you recommend. I'm active in my 50s and kids are in their 20s.  Thanks

The real question is "What do you find that is lacking/missing from your RCCL cruises that you are hoping to find elsewhere"?

If we knew what you were hoping to find, then we could point you to the NCL ship or ships that provide what you seek.

• Like 2

Consider the Haven. If you are a hyper person, it may not be for you. But the level of service you will get is very good. It really depends on what you are looking for. 

One thing that RCL has over NCL is the flow rider. It's my favorite. But I surf so I am biased. 

Enjoy!

7 hours ago, hollon said:

These ships look very nice.  Do you recommend one over the other?  I'm ready to go outside of Royal Caribbean

If you're just looking for a nice ship that has great shows and entertainment, tons of things to do on board, high excitement things for kids, tweens, and those young at heart... you can't go wrong with any of those ships. 

If you look through these NCL boards for trip reviews, you'll see people posting the "dailies" which list out all of the activities on board every day/night. 

Go based on the itinerary that interests you most. Once you narrow it down from there, go by price. That's just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SeaShark said:

The real question is "What do you find that is lacking/missing from your RCCL cruises that you are hoping to find elsewhere"?

If we knew what you were hoping to find, then we could point you to the NCL ship or ships that provide what you seek.

Thank you.  I've cruised royal caribbean 8 or 9 times, just looking for a different ship. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hollon said:

Thank you.  I've cruised royal caribbean 8 or 9 times, just looking for a different ship. 

Given you list entertainment, I have sailed Royal and NCL, quite a bit, including on the Oasis class ships.  Entertainment, while good on Royal, is even better on NCL.  They put on shows that are Vegas and Broadway worthy.  Even the smaller shows in the Cavern Club or Syd Norman’s are outstanding.

They all have rock walls (which to me, seem to be wasted space on either line, as few use them). NCL’s largest ships have race tracks and laser tag.  Royal has bumper cars, ice skating rink.  Royal has CoCo Cay, which is more kid focused than NCL’s Great Stirrup Cay private area.  So, depends on what you want.

I’m an empty nester, so I no longer worry if there’s something for my (now grown) kids to do.

Royal and NCL have the big water slides.

Royal has bigger pools than NCL, but neither is something I’d consider anything but always crowded.

I do like Royal’s Solarium Adult pool areas.  NCL has something similar in Spice H20, but it’s also used as a venue for parties at night and has a “smoking” area, which to me is a detriment.

Some significant differences, some more subtitle than others.

I will say the NCL does a way better job of Freestyle Dining than Royal does Anytime dining.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

On 8/13/2022 at 3:11 PM, hollon said:

Thank you.  I like the layout of the ships and things to do, not just sit and lay out in the sun per su. We love trivia, plus good entertainment.  I'm a hyper person who likes to stay busy, but also I like to sit on my balcony and drink my coffee in the morning/afternoon 🙂

Entertainment is good on Encore (it's the one I know) Kinky Boots, Choir of Man and the Beatles shows for a start.  Many other games and activities.  Lots of bars (many with live music), restaurant choices.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:42 AM, hollon said:

My wife and I have been on Freedom and Oasis and now Encore and have enjoyed all three.

I don't know if OP feels the same but we were very disenchanted by our last Oasis class cruise.  This really shocked us since the Oasis class were always our absolute favorite ships.  I still don't know if it was a one off or what but the whole cruise was LOUD.  Screaming and excessive volume everywhere.  We brought it up to others and they agreed.  We had booked a Central Park balcony and I pictured reading out there and enjoying the sound of birds and the lovely peaceful atmosphere.  Fat chance.  They had moved the band on the pool deck to the "bridge" right over our area so that even though we were on a lower deck it was very intrusive.  We were turned off enough that our once favorite ships became "never again".

There's prizes at trivia sometimes... nothing to write home about, usually just an NCL koozie or one of those endless free bottles of sparkling wine. Bragging rights are always more important to me.

We won the escape room on Epic and got a whopping koozie... that we ultimately left behind in our cabin 'by accident'. 

On 8/15/2022 at 10:54 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Why are you always so combative? Can't you just offer your opinion and not ask countless questions? I feel so sorry for you.

OP, my husband and I loved the Getaway for our cruise. It was big enough for us, with a few areas that were quiet (fully booked, actually over occupancy on our April cruise). 

I've heard NCL does the thermal suite better than other lines, including NCL. This may not be for you since you say you're hyper and don't want to be in one place for long, but we love it. Laying out on a warm ceramic lounger for awhile, then jumping in the pool, heading to the sauna, then back to a lounger. I can do that process 2 or 3 times for about two hours. It's so lovely and relaxing!

We didn't take advantage of the entertainment as my husband didn't really want to. I'm definitely going to on my September cruise - he can chill in the room. So, I'll be enjoying the Getaway's Broadway song thing (I forgot what it's called), the comedy club, and possibly some music in the Pour House. I probably won't bother with the big stage shows. The above will keep me busy.

There is so much trivia on board! No prizes so I don't participate as I don't care to do trivia if I can't get anything out of it. 

Plenty of gambling options - Hold 'em tournaments, Bingo, all sorts of slots, table games, etc. 

The Waterfront is the perfect place for you to enjoy your cup of coffee in the morning. It's looking out over the ocean and such a nice, quiet place even on a fully packed cruise.

Enjoy yourself - NCL is wonderful, although I'm sure RCL is wonderful too. 

Thank you.  I am hyper, but i do still love to sit on the balcony with my coffee and just relax and think, read and watch the water 🙂

On 8/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, hollon said:

I'm a NCL loyalist that dabbles in RCCL from time to time.  What port are you looking to sail from?  Bliss, Escape, and Encore are all incredible.

3 hours ago, Lupush said:

I'm a NCL loyalist that dabbles in RCCL from time to time.  What port are you looking to sail from?  Bliss, Escape, and Encore are all incredible.

Port doesnt matter b/c I'll have to fly to any port as I live in TN.  These look like great ships. Thank you

On 8/13/2022 at 7:15 AM, hollon said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned. Assuming occupancy returns to normal, any of the NCL ships mentioned will have significantly more passengers per space available (space ratio). Oasis class feels less crowded (even though those ships are substantially larger) not only because of the neighborhood concept, but because of their space ratio. NCL packs people in.

I think that the shows on NCL are significantly better than OAsis class, BUT there are fewer of them. On Oasis you have the aqua show, the theatre show, and the ice skating show which each changes up during the week. On NCL you will get one show in the beginning of the week and a different one at the end. Of course, there is other entertainment. We like howl at the moon which is available on a few ships. 

With that said, I LOVE the waterfront concept on the big NCL girls. Because the pool deck is so crowded (again, it's a space ratio thing) I enjoy sitting on waterfront near a bar even during the day. You can sit outside in the shade in nice comfy couches and be just a few steps away from a beverage. Very relaxing way to spend a sea day. You can also eat your specialty dinners outside (except for Le  Bistro) which we always try to do. Such a great connection to the sea.

I think that NCL does a better job with their thermal spa too if that's a thing. Oh..... if you like beer be sure to pick a ship with the district brew house. Best brewhouse at sea according to DH. Also, NCL has 24 hour sit down and order dining. Something lacking on Oasis class. Let's face it, Sorrentos only goes so far :). 

• Like 1