Homework b4 booking!

Oxo

Do people do any homework before they book a cruise ?

These CC forums are fantastic. However,  should you not know certain important facts before you book?

You may use a Travel Agent or the Cruise Line to book. Either one  should be able to answer most of your questions.

Recently, subjects have surfaced related to:

Will this cabin be large enough for 4 or 6 people?

Where will my children sleep,  on a couch or bed?

Will I get a beverage packages with my cabin? Etc.

Cruise line ..... no longer requires a pre covid test. So, do I need one before I board my Cruise Line.

Things change over night. Don't rely on any source and then think that is the correct answer for all Cruise lines

Check with your cruise line/ TA.

JMHO!

STAY SAFE AND HAPPY CRUISING! 

• Like 1

Most important - do not expect your TA to know the nitty gritty about your ship or cruise line.  The TA will know some general things about each cruise line as it pertains to their area of expertise of booking a cabin for customers.  

Read ALL the information that the cruise line takes the time to place on their website.  This includes the Ticket contract, all the FAQs, and other specific sections about the on board experience.

Do not assume that because you have cruised on cruise line A, that cruise lines B, C, D, E, F   and so on have the same policies or procedures.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Most important - do not expect your TA to know the nitty gritty about your ship or cruise line.  The TA will know some general things about each cruise line as it pertains to their area of expertise of booking a cabin for customers.  

Read ALL the information that the cruise line takes the time to place on their website.  This includes the Ticket contract, all the FAQs, and other specific sections about the on board experience.

Do not assume that because you have cruised on cruise line A, that cruise lines B, C, D, E, F   and so on have the same policies or procedures.

Thanks for your input! These points should really help others. 

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Do people do any homework before they book a cruise ?

These CC forums are fantastic. However,  should you not know certain important facts before you book?

You may use a Travel Agent or the Cruise Line to book. Either one  should be able to answer most of your questions.

Recently, subjects have surfaced related to:

Will this cabin be large enough for 4 or 6 people?

Where will my children sleep,  on a couch or bed?

Will I get a beverage packages with my cabin? Etc.

Cruise line ..... no longer requires a pre covid test. So, do I need one before I board my Cruise Line.

Things change over night. Don't rely on any source and then think that is the correct answer for all Cruise lines

Check with your cruise line/ TA.

JMHO!

STAY SAFE AND HAPPY CRUISING! 

I’ve yet to find an MSC phone rep who knows the most current happenings on board any of their ships. It isn’t their fault it’s just how fast things have changed over the last year. Sometimes even their website isn’t up to date. 
These boards have people who take the time to post during their cruise (me included)

who can answer a question with the most up to date info in real time. 

That’s what’s great about Cruise Critic and why I’ve been here as long as I have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I’ve yet to find an MSC phone rep who knows the most current happenings on board any of their ships. It isn’t their fault it’s just how fast things have changed over the last year. Sometimes even their website isn’t up to date. 
These boards have people who take the time to post during their cruise (me included)

who can answer a question with the most up to date info in real time. 

That’s what’s great about Cruise Critic and why I’ve been here as long as I have. 

Yes, we both have been here a long time. I agree with the excellent value of CC. My main point is that some of the questions should have been asked and answered before you book a cabin or cruise. Your choice is a major purchase for at least 7 days of your life. Have some idea of what you are getting for your money before you book.

• Like 3

Interesting, thought provoking post, thanks the OP and all the contributors; some of them with very interesting equally thought provoking nick names as well!...

CC exists for a reason: To help everyone to share their experiences and learn a little bit more about other experiences. I came to MSC from such a Portuguese "specialty" TA that has long ago partnered with them for cruising purposes, giving us the opportunity to cruise in a small 20-30 individuals small charter groups with a tour leader. If it wasn't from that, perhaps I would never come near an MSC ship, even less inside one!... Now here I am, 7 cruises with them plus one more on RCI and a few more river cruises on smaller European companies, extremely happy to share my experiences alongside my knowledge from that experience and my former job as a financial market analyst of some sort!

I agree that, from quite a while, some CC posts have become somewhat in between the repetitive and the monotonous, but on the other hand I understand that both the pandemic and the war in Europe are changing our world definitely for a very different thing than what it used to be. I note the difference day after day. Problem: Most people sort of refuse to note that difference, or simply they react to it, instead of proactively act on it... No surprise those posts... People are tired. People just need a time to rest and recover... A time to hope, to listen... Maybe, a time to see the seas go by... This is for what we're here in CC!... I enjoy coming here to discuss the "order of the day" on cruising subjects. Sadly; people don't have proper time for nothing at all. They don't compromise anymore... And then; they don't do their personal "homework" before booking... Let's to go with said nice promo I got from an advert. Wow, the cabin of a once in a lifetime... Oh, well, they "upgraded" me!... Upgraded? Or downgraded? Things may become far complex, but again: Few will read our "pro tips" here!...

By the way. If only I can help a single CC member from time to time I go bed extremely happy!... Cruising is my favorite hobby, that sadly I'm not currently able for many reasons to fulfill as far as I'd like to do. Maybe my next cruise will be in 2023... If life permits me... But at least let us to have those lovely conversations here in CC, even if some posts do feel odd or inappropriate, repetitive or monotonous!... At least they permit us, or at least they permit me to dream on my next cruise!... And eventually they help someone completing their homework as well!... Because yeah; people need to know what they're compromising to understand what the experience is about and what they can really expect out of it!...

Have a nice day!...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@Nunagoras Well said, sir, well said. Yes, the answers can get repetitive but we are here to help.  I'm currently add odds on the book of the metaface with the coordinator of a cruise that we are on but not a member of (see also, Goth Cruise, Divina, 2022). The amount she DOESN'T know could fill a book.  Seriously.  I don't want to blame it on her since she hasn't cruised since last September and because MSC zigs and zags, but I really don't like trying to be helpful with FIRST HAND experience and told that I don't know what I am talking about 🙂 Let's just all try to help in these changing times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Oxo said:

Yes, we both have been here a long time. I agree with the excellent value of CC. My main point is that some of the questions should have been asked and answered before you book a cabin or cruise. Your choice is a major purchase for at least 7 days of your life. Have some idea of what you are getting for your money before you book.

I too am often surprised that not everyone puts the same amount of time that I do researching their vacations.  For me it’s half the fun and I’m fortunate to be retired and I have the time to do it. I also plan vacations for my friends and family because they simply don’t want to do it. 

I personally couldn’t give up that power to anyone. lol

A funny thing happened when my brother and SIL gave me their credit card to book our couple’s trip to Playa del Carmen. 
On the plane the pilot told us it would be 4 hrs in the air to touch down in Cancun. I heard my brother say to my SIL “We’re going to Cancun?”

Can you imagine being that trusting as to get on a flight not knowing where the heck you’re going for the next 10 days?🤦🏻‍♀️

But the more I talk to people the more I realize there’s a lot of folks out there like my brother lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Morgsmom said:

@Nunagoras Well said, sir, well said. Yes, the answers can get repetitive but we are here to help.  I'm currently add odds on the book of the metaface with the coordinator of a cruise that we are on but not a member of (see also, Goth Cruise, Divina, 2022). The amount she DOESN'T know could fill a book.  Seriously.  I don't want to blame it on her since she hasn't cruised since last September and because MSC zigs and zags, but I really don't like trying to be helpful with FIRST HAND experience and told that I don't know what I am talking about 🙂 Let's just all try to help in these changing times.

Oh this sounds interesting. I’m searching for that cruise now. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

How I understand you!... When I worked, I volunteered of to serve as such a "cruise consultant" to the people on our large office building; and it is amazing the level of some queries they put us. People don't prepare their future time in due time. Then, when someone asked me to help them, I used to give them some 2 or 3 options for them to consider. Once I listened to such an answer like this: "book it if it were for you and I'll just to follow whatever else it is!"... Oh, really?... The problem is that there are options and you should know what your options are and act accordingly... I'm not the other individuals!... It is rare to see an occasion where you don't have options, actually the one that comes to mind are those Cunard Queen Mary 2 transatlantic crossings, but then, those are a niche market of themselves!... As I use to say: We must be patient...

And yeah!... That specialty cruise you mentioned is not for me, but interesting there are so different interests that can drive cruising!... And all can be good!...

• Like 1

To be fair the reason people ask some very basic questions is because the search function is pretty hopeless. It also doesn't help that MSC has probably more options than all the other cruise lines combined.😅   I'm a fairly seasoned cruiser but booking my first MSC cruise last week made my head hurt.

• Haha 1

I always think that CC is the best place to ask anything cruise related. Not just talking about this MSC board but for any cruise line to any destination I have always been able to find an answer. Cruising for the first time to Australia in Nov and have found some lovely people on the Aus board who are always willing to answer my (probably silly to them) questions.On that other popular book site lots of people seem to give incorrect info but on here even if that occasionally happens lots of people step in to give the correct answer. I've been on this site almost daily for years and find it's pretty easy to pick out the people who genuinely know what they are on about.

We cruise lots of lines and the phone reps for most of them know a lot less than the regular cruisers on here. Also never found a TA that knows as much as people on here, I usually end up telling them something I've read here long before they are informed.

Personally I don't mind repeat questions, there are always new people on here and I understand it's easier just to ask than use search. Isn't that the whole point of these forums?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Bobblehat71 said:

To be fair the reason people ask some very basic questions is because the search function is pretty hopeless. It also doesn't help that MSC has probably more options than all the other cruise lines combined.😅   I'm a fairly seasoned cruiser but booking my first MSC cruise last week made my head hurt.

Ha, ha!... Actually MSC may have same or even some less options that their competitors (less ships, different destinations), but the wording is sort of strange for many, giving such the sensation or far more!... Let me to just try again to get that wording in place by explaining their experience levels and such:

Bella - Base line guaranteed cabin in a no frills business level (like a low cost European airline ticket).

Fantastica - Similar to other companies mainstream ticket, sometimes with a drinks package added.

Aurea - Yeah, that "zombie" category that is like a Junior or "part" suite of sorts product...

YC - A ship within the ship concept that gives you some exclusivity.

And I could go on. All things considered it's not that different from the competitors. Their drinks packages are also less valuable now than what they used to be...

That said; you made my day, sir!... Huh!... Have a nice day too!...

My reaction to the OP is ROFLMAO.  And it is not just folks booking cruises as we have told cruisers, for years, to do their homework on ports before booking cruise line excursions.  A Cruiser might pay $18 a per person for a simple transfer from Port Everglades to a central dropping point at FLL.  They could have taken a taxi for about that same $18 (but this would be for 2 or 3 persons) and quickly been whisked from port to the proper airport terminal.  They would have been inside the terminal, checked-in, and having a cup of coffee while those who booked the cruise line transfer cools their heels on a large bus (still at the port) waiting to fill all the seats.

So I will echo what is posted in the OP but expand the topic.  Before you travel, book a cruise, book a tour, etc.  do your homework!  Do not become one of these folks who jumps before you look.  And by the way, when doing your homework learn to use Cruise Critic and its many contributors.  This blog has an amazing wealth of knowledge on just about any travel/cruise topic.  But become active and ask your questions before you book!

Hank

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Ha, ha!... Actually MSC may have same or even some less options that their competitors (less ships, different destinations), but the wording is sort of strange for many, giving such the sensation or far more!... Let me to just try again to get that wording in place by explaining their experience levels and such:

Bella - Base line guaranteed cabin in a no frills business level (like a low cost European airline ticket).

Fantastica - Similar to other companies mainstream ticket, sometimes with a drinks package added.

Aurea - Yeah, that "zombie" category that is like a Junior or "part" suite of sorts product...

YC - A ship within the ship concept that gives you some exclusivity.

And I could go on. All things considered it's not that different from the competitors. Their drinks packages are also less valuable now than what they used to be...

That said; you made my day, sir!... Huh!... Have a nice day too!...

lol less ships.

11 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

lol less ships.

Depending on your desired sailing region; yes, less ships! Caribbean from an US port: MSC 3 ships currently. Now compare with their competitors!... Obviously they win in the Mediterranean, but that might to be another subject! And yes, they're growing, but they'll need a few years till they match any of their competitors globally. Again: MSC is in the process to turn from #4 to #3 cruise line in the world, and that's it.