NCL customer service incompetence

planefring1

Received yet another pre cruise letter from  NCL. This one simply regurgitating the info as the same letter we received  last week.  I called customer service and asked the following “Do we have to test for covid prior to this cruise” Response from CS “Not according to the letter you received, However, you have to test at your expense onboard to be able to disembark in Bermuda”.  

Then I read on NCL SAIL SAFE. That we still have to pre test 48hrs.  before the cruise. The cruise line will test us for Bermuda entry  at the ships expense because we will not be going to Bermuda within 5 days of embarkation. 

So, I called NCL BACK… and guess what, the next CSR, said exactly what I read on the web site.  

We are first time cruisers,

IM YELLING NOW:

IT SHOULD NOT BE SO DIFFICULT  TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER…. OR RECEIVE A LETTER WITH INFORMATION THAT IS ACCURATE & COMPLETE.

WHO RUNS NCL.. THE DMV?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Why don't you just go onto the NCL website and read the most up to date information?  No need to yell and get your blood pressure up. It's a cruise, after all.

But then she would not have a (lame) excuse to come to Cruise Critic and rant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, planefring1 said:

Received yet another pre cruise letter from  NCL. This one simply regurgitating the info as the same letter we received  last week.  I called customer service and asked the following “Do we have to test for covid prior to this cruise” Response from CS “Not according to the letter you received, However, you have to test at your expense onboard to be able to disembark in Bermuda”.  

Then I read on NCL SAIL SAFE. That we still have to pre test 48hrs.  before the cruise. The cruise line will test us for Bermuda entry  at the ships expense because we will not be going to Bermuda within 5 days of embarkation. 

So, I called NCL BACK… and guess what, the next CSR, said exactly what I read on the web site.  

We are first time cruisers,

IM YELLING NOW:

IT SHOULD NOT BE SO DIFFICULT  TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER…. OR RECEIVE A LETTER WITH INFORMATION THAT IS ACCURATE & COMPLETE.

WHO RUNS NCL.. THE DMV?

Like everyone else posted....go to NCL website. It is very clear about testing. Whether you are vac or not vac...it spells it out very clearly. Scroll down on website to see about Bermuda requirements. Its all there.

Enjoy. 🎉🥳Be happy.😊 You are going on a cruise.🛳🏝

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Its my understanding that if Bermuda is your first stop then u have to be tested before you board. 

That's not entirely correct.  If Bermuda is a port anywhere on your itinerary (first, second, fifth) you must test before embarkation (per the schedule specified by Bermuda). In addition to that, if Bermuda is not reached within 4 days of embarkation, you will need another test on board (up to two days before disembarking in Bermuda).

Folks, the rules are all spelled out on Bermuda's web site.  Please, read it at the source; no need for guessing, speculating, etc.

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Gosh. The cruise line sends people multiple links to the information required for their cruise. And they failed to read it. Or failed to comprehend it. The testing requirements for Bermuda are very clear and the requirements to register with Bermuda and pay them are very clear. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

Like everyone else posted....go to NCL website. It is very clear about testing. Whether you are vac or not vac...it spells it out very clearly. Scroll down on website to see about Bermuda requirements. Its all there.

Enjoy. 🎉🥳Be happy.😊 You are going on a cruise.🛳🏝

Thank you, but sometimes its fun to rant like a looney. 

12 hours ago, planefring1 said:

IM YELLING NOW:

WHO RUNS NCL.. THE DMV?

This was like the main thing I put on my post cruise survey after my latest cruise in July.  I, someone who is very into keeping up with the latest news and watching cruise bloggers, etc, struggled to figure out what NCL wanted from me.  Confusingly, they sent the pre boarding safety video THREE separate times, but really never mentioned covid testing/what they want/where to get it save it being buried in a PDF attachment in a single email the month before.  It amazes me that more people don’t mess up something pre boarding because they do not make it easy.

Also…we never got a final email receipt of our on board accounts. Thank god mine was still the same number as when I got off the ship because otherwise I’d have no idea ***** I’d have been charged for (and yes, I literally stopped in the middle of writing this to make sure I didn’t miss it….it never arrived).

My partner however had $425 of unknown mystery charges hit his account the day after the cruise.  Called NCL every day for 3 days, could never get ahold of anyone and then on day 4 the charge magically got reversed.  (He never got a final bill either)

The requirements and rules are changing very quickly. There's NCL corporate policy, then there's rules/laws/requirements for each specific country you're visiting, plus the country you're actually leaving from and returning to. So lots of moving parts, and with them all changing monthly/weekly/daily - it's hard to keep up.

Unless you're sailing in the next week, stop worrying. When it gets closer to sail date, check the country websites, check the NCL website, and if worse comes to worse, no harm in getting a test 2-3 days before sailing to have in your back pocket as insurance.

We're sailing from NY to Canada in ~22 days. Rules keep changing every week. No test. Yes, test. No test if vaccinated. I'm telling my parents to get a test regardless. If they don't need it, the only harm done is 10 minutes out of their day and a nasal jab. They're retired, they have nothing better to do. Again, better to be safe than sorry and have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, planefring1 said:

Thank you, but sometimes its fun to rant like a looney. 

The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem.  LOL!

I get it.  NCL was consistent in their procedures over the last 18+ months, that this change (which we all knew was coming eventually) would take some getting used to.  Add to that, NCL’s new policies may not mesh with specific country requirements (as is the case with Bermuda).

NCL’s PCC and phone reps are at different levels of experience.  Some are really, really good.  Some are newbies and not familiar with all the requirements.

Look at Bermuda’s requirements.  Follow the protocols NCL sends you.  And double check them by going to their SAIL SAFE web page.

You’ll be fine!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That's not entirely correct.  If Bermuda is a port anywhere on your itinerary (first, second, fifth) you must test before embarkation (per the schedule specified by Bermuda). In addition to that, if Bermuda is not reached within 4 days of embarkation, you will need another test on board (up to two days before disembarking in Bermuda).

Folks, the rules are all spelled out on Bermuda's web site.  Please, read it at the source; no need for guessing, speculating, etc.

Glad you clarified it. Bermuda is our first stop so all I know is I need a test before embarkation.

Do your own due diligence and research from trusted sources.

NCL Travel Requirements by Country

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country#bermuda

Bermuda Cruise Travel Authorization

I get NCL email fatigue. Too many emails marked "IMPORTANT INFORMATION". They should do a simple questionnaire as part of booking and again at check-in and give us clear essential information before presenting  walls of text and emails containing irrelevant information. For example: As a US citizen, stop sending me emails about requirements for non-citizens traveling into the US. And for non-citizens, don't just tell them they don't need a negative test to enter the USA, explicitly warn them in the same email they may need a negative covid test result to board the ship!!!.

THIS IS A FICTITIOUS EXAMPLE ONLY. DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE AND RESEARCH FROM TRUSTED SOURCES.

Passenger #1
Is Bermuda a destination? Yes (Most of these questions should already be pre-filled by NCL because they have your information)

Is your cruise departing from the US? Yes

Will this cruise arrive in Bermuda within 4 days of departing the home port? Yes
Is Passenger #1 fully vaccinated? Yes

>> 1. You must have a completed and approved Bermuda Travel authorization before arriving at the embarkation terminal. https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

>> 2. You must have proof of vaccination prior to arriving at the embarkation terminal.
>> 3. You must have a negative PCR test result within 4 days of arriving at the embarkation terminal -OR- have a negative supervised antigen test result within 2 days of arriving at the embarkation terminal.

Passenger #2
Is Bermuda a destination? Yes (Most of these questions should already be pre-filled by NCL because they have your information)

Is your cruise departing from the US? Yes

Will this cruise arrive in Bermuda within 4 days of departing the home port? Yes
Is Passenger #2 fully vaccinated? No
Is Passenger #2 at least 12 years of age and older? Yes

>> 1. All passengers 12 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated prior to arriving at the embarkation terminal and boarding a cruise ship destined for Bermuda. Unvaccinated passengers 12 years of age and older may not board this cruise.

>> 2. You must have a completed and approved Bermuda Travel authorization before arriving at the embarkation terminal. https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

>> 3. You must have proof of vaccination prior to arriving at the embarkation terminal.
>> 4. You must have a negative PCR test result within 4 days of arriving at the embarkation terminal -OR- have a negative supervised antigen test result within 2 days of arriving at the embarkation terminal.

Repeat for passengers 2 to 11 years of age, and for passengers less than 2 years of age.

THIS IS A FICTITIOUS EXAMPLE ONLY. DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE AND RESEARCH FROM TRUSTED SOURCES.

Edited by kylenyc

11 hours ago, roboref said:

Welcome to CC, if you criticize anything NCL, you will get flamed!

Funny how that works, right? You would think that throwing a tantrum on a public forum would mean you would be welcomed and celebrated.

• Haha 3

I thank all of you for your input. However,  this is our first cruise.  lets say i never stumbled upon CC.  All I had was a worthless PCC at NCL and info received in piecemeal.  We have no point of reference. our last trip was Disney World during last xmas break.

We knew exactly what the protocol for the parks and the airline’s simply stated on the boarding pass and in the documents Disney sent us. However, this is beyond people at NCL making things easier for the guest.  I should NOT have to check this, check that.  Some people are not that computer  savvy.  Maybe my expectations from my “Carrier” were unrealistic, and I am just naive enough  to think NCL would make simple to follow, clearly illustrated instructions to follow that takes out the guess work.  But I feel no matter how legitimate my grievances are against NCL some of you will not see this from my prospective.  All I'm saying its just silly for this to even be such an issue.

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

The requirements and rules are changing very quickly. There's NCL corporate policy, then there's rules/laws/requirements for each specific country you're visiting, plus the country you're actually leaving from and returning to. So lots of moving parts, and with them all changing monthly/weekly/daily - it's hard to keep up.

Unless you're sailing in the next week, stop worrying. When it gets closer to sail date, check the country websites, check the NCL website, and if worse comes to worse, no harm in getting a test 2-3 days before sailing to have in your back pocket as insurance.

We're sailing from NY to Canada in ~22 days. Rules keep changing every week. No test. Yes, test. No test if vaccinated. I'm telling my parents to get a test regardless. If they don't need it, the only harm done is 10 minutes out of their day and a nasal jab. They're retired, they have nothing better to do. Again, better to be safe than sorry and have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Take your own guidance and read the web site. Vaccination and pre-test (or proof of recovery) is required for any cruise in Canadian waters. 

8 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

Take your own guidance and read the web site. Vaccination and pre-test (or proof of recovery) is required for any cruise in Canadian waters. 

Which website are you referring to? Because again, depending on which one you read, it is easy for folks to be misinformed or to misinterpret what is said.

Call me silly, but a cruise ship means water travel to me...

Regardless, we're all getting pre-tested and are fully vaxxed, just pointing out the confusion and how easy it is for folks to be mislead.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

image.thumb.png.bd00914d161617407a99347ed89631fd.png

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

Which website are you referring to? Because again, depending on which one you read, it is easy for folks to be misinformed or to misinterpret what is said.

Call me silly, but a cruise ship means water travel to me...

Regardless, we're all getting pre-tested and are fully vaxxed, just pointing out the confusion and how easy it is for folks to be mislead.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

image.thumb.png.bd00914d161617407a99347ed89631fd.png

Yes, accessing the correct website is all important. The one you've cited is not for cruisers. The correct ArriveCAN page for cruisers is https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise . Unfortunately if you don't include words on the order of "ArriveCAN for cruises" in  your search engine inquiry you may not find the right page. The cruise page includes the following rather clear instructions: 

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another country

These requirements apply to cruises:

• arriving in Canada from a foreign country
  • starting in Canada, but travelling outside Canadian waters and then returning to Canada (for example, if docking in the United States for a shore excursion)

All travellers are required to:

• complete ArriveCAN no more than 72 hours of initially boarding the cruise. This includes:
    • any traveller who recently submitted ArriveCAN to enter Canada via land or air
    • Canadians embarking on an international cruise from Canada that will return to Canada
  • take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point in the itinerary
  • Like 1

If I hear, "I apologize for your inconvenience.  I understand your frustration" one more time, I'm going to make up voodoo dolls for all my favorite cruise lines and twist their heads off.    I don't need their silly canned phrases--I need my actual problem resolved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, planefring1 said:

I thank all of you for your input. However,  this is our first cruise.  lets say i never stumbled upon CC.  All I had was a worthless PCC at NCL and info received in piecemeal.  We have no point of reference. our last trip was Disney World during last xmas break.

It's good you found CC! NCL has a long history of wholly inaccurate advice coming from their call center. While not denigrating them personally, it's evident they have very little training and even worse, no valid resources to refer to when responding to guests. All of them have been very nice to me, and seem to try their best, so I blame management for the deficiencies. (I'm probably more tolerant than most because I ran call centers for about 40 years and know the challenges). I think they should completely shut down the call center and invest in better chat and email services.

The website is a bit better. You can at least take screenshots and save them in case of a dispute. For example, I have received a couple of emails that my upcoming cruises won't require testing, yet the only cruise I have scheduled DOES require pre-board testing because it's to Alaska, and we stop in Canada. Like Bermuda, Canada has rules that make the exception necessary.

But, after all this nonsense and horrible service pre-cruise, you should love your cruise onboard like the rest of us do! Its a great way to vacation and I think you'll find the onboard staff to be excellent at providing service that even goes beyond your expectations.

I think you already have your answer, but if not, here's the simple answer (as of 8/15 @ 10:24 AM, EST):

image.thumb.png.65628ad53c96f7ed77a6fc3684a76165.png

@planefring1 - I'm close to being a first time cruiser (my second NCL - 3rd cruise - is coming up in Sept.), so I know how ridiculously stupid figuring out NCL's website and emails is. That's why I go to the source. The table above is from Bermuda's website: https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation. It's a lot easier to comprehend than NCL's site.

Enjoy your cruise - I know I will!

• Like 1