Cheers package

cruisinmeme

We don’t drink but trying to help someone book their first cruise. If you buy the cheers for 5 day cruise it appears it is 59.00 per day per person.  Does that include any tax’s? Do you tip as you go or is it added to your bill. If one person drinks a lot and other person maybe 2-3 per day are you better off just paying by the drink rather than package. 

Gratuity is automatically added when you purchase. Tipping onboard is optional and not expected because you pay gratuity when you purchase Cheers. Tax will be charged when in US waters (maybe 50 cents to 75 cents per drink) until the ship gets out to sea, even with Cheers.

If the party can drink at least $120 per day in drinks then Cheers is worth it. If not, then it's not.

Haven't sailed yet on Carnival since the restart, so not sure the following applies but I suspect it will.   Prices, especially drink prices are way up.  Was on RCCL last month and cocktails were $10+.   Frozen drinks were $14.    I used to use $8/$10 drink prices to calculate whether or not the drink package was worth it for me.   If you do something similar, just be aware of the increase, it won't take as many alcoholic drinks as you might think to hit the break even point.  And as said above, don't minimize the benefit of "free" water, soda, coffee, juice, etc. once you've got the package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another option, also not cheap, but cheaper than paying by the drink, is to order a bottle or two for the cabin. You can do this in advance or through room service once on the ship.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1354/~/the-fun-shops-gift-orders

They can carry on one bottle of wine per person 21 or older, if desired.

• Like 4

If you pre-purchase Cheers, you will save 10% off of the 59.95 base rate, plus you need to add the 18% gratuity.  Comes out to about 127.00 per day all in after discount plus tip.  It all depends upon how heavy of a drinker the one person is as to whether you get your monies worth or not.  Many like the fact that you can try various drinks and not worry and if they want to have shots in the piano bar, you don't need to keep count since you have to be serious to hit 15 per day.

If you are a mixed drinker or like things like specialty martinis, frozen drinks, etc.  I would use an average of $12 a drink (some or more some are less).  My Chocolatini and Tiramisu run around $14 each.

So if two people buy it and can drink at least 13 drinks a day between the two of you, every day, at these prices between you it is break even and anything above that is "free" at that point.

Now when you start factoring in extras like:

GOOD Coffee in the coffee shop each day for both of you

Free bottled waters 

Milk Shakes here or there for the 2 of you if you like

Energy Drinks if you like

Sodas, Juice, Etc.

Add these and the break even point just keeps dropping.  Only you can decide how much you will really use it and if it will work for you.  If you are going to get it, do so BEFORE you cruise to save the extra 10%.

Almost 50 cruises and we have never purchased it.  My husband just gets the Bottomless Bubbles.  He more than drinks his weight in pop when we cruise lol, and I mostly drink water.  Neither of us are big drinkers and are lucky between the 2 of us to have 2-3 drinks a day.  We aren't specialty coffee drinkers.  I do like 1 or 2 milk shakes on a cruise and just buy those.

I will say; however, in a month we will have Cheers for the first time, but only because we got a special offer months ago when we booked this cruise and got cheers for like $180 total for the two of us for our entire week long cruise - that I can certainly use up and come out a head on the back end.  I plan to try some new drinks and see what I like... I won't feel bad ordering something I don't like and don't end up drinking if I didn't just pay $15 for it!

Edited by wemjam

@CruizinSusan70, the 59.95 is the discounted rate.  It is significantly higher when purchased on board.  @cruisinmeme, here are the details for the package.  They will add 18% to the cost of the package for gratuities and you will pay taxes on any drinks obtained in US waters (charged to the S&S card).  @wemjam is spot-on using an average of $12 for mixed drinks and $8 for beer when calculating if it makes good economic sense to purchase.  Don't forget to add any non-alcoholic drinks into the calculation.image.thumb.png.309d50ab5251d4445f5432519cded372.png

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 1:27 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

If you pre-purchase Cheers, you will save 10% off of the 59.95 base rate, plus you need to add the 18% gratuity.  Comes out to about 127.00 per day all in after discount plus tip.  It all depends upon how heavy of a drinker the one person is as to whether you get your monies worth or not.  Many like the fact that you can try various drinks and not worry and if they want to have shots in the piano bar, you don't need to keep count since you have to be serious to hit 15 per day.

I keep getting the save up to 10% off the drink package but when I go to checkout there is no price reduction. I would be on the fence if I got the discount but it's 707 for the 2 of us for 5 days. We have the free drinks on our New Years cruise but not this one.

1 minute ago, ctkathchick said:

I keep getting the save up to 10% off the drink package but when I go to checkout there is no price reduction. I would be on the fence if I got the discount but it's 707 for the 2 of us for 5 days. We have the free drinks on our New Years cruise but not this one.

The $59.95 price is with the 10% off.  It is $64.95 when purchased on board.  See my previous post (#10 from yesterday).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Are you willing to pay $600 just for beverages? For me, $600 is half way to another short vacation.

Different people vacation different ways.  Some like the short cruises, others like double digit cruises.  Some like inside cabins while others would not be caught dead without their balcony. 

Rarely drink at home, but we do while on vacation, so cruizergal70, yes we are willing to invest in Cheers as well as other included drink packages on NCL, MSC, Celebrity and Princess.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The extra 10% using gift cards really comes in handy now.  But of course the smart play was to pre-pay any future bookings before the price increase a few months ago.  Or take advantage of the 20% off glitch that lasted just over a day as well. 😉

You're learning. Before you know it you'll be driving to ports. 😁

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You're learning. Before you know it you'll be driving to ports. 😁

If I choose to cruise out of NYC or Bayonne, of course.  But any other major port, we will be flying.  And secondary embarkation ports are out because they go to ports and use ships that are in our rear view mirror.

12 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Are you willing to pay $600 just for beverages? For me, $600 is half way to another short vacation.

Yup, we are.  But we spend that much restocking beer/wine/liquor each month at home.  Which doesn't include the cost of drinks while eating out for dinner, etc, which is usually 2 times a week.

But I know folks that can't drink three drinks in a day.  Cheers is not for them.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Different people vacation different ways.  Some like the short cruises, others like double digit cruises.  Some like inside cabins while others would not be caught dead without their balcony. 

Rarely drink at home, but we do while on vacation, so cruizergal70, yes we are willing to invest in Cheers as well as other included drink packages on NCL, MSC, Celebrity and Princess.  

Good for you. The OP asked a question.  I answered. Simply a cost benefit analysis based on lifestyle.

There's also the truth that many people will get the package and will not come close to drinking $600 of beverages if they paid individually. *shrug*

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Good for you. The OP asked a question.  I answered. Simply a cost benefit analysis based on lifestyle.

There's also the truth that many people will get the package and will not come close to drinking $600 of beverages if they paid individually. *shrug*

And you know this "truth" how? 

• Like 1

DH and I have never gotten the cheers package before because it wasn’t something we ever thought we would want. We just got back from a b2b on the Mardi Gras and while we did not have the cheers package, it was the 1st time we came back and discussed trying it for our next cruise. 

Here were our thoughts… we are going on a Southern on the Celebration next summer so we are thinking about getting it for this trip. While we are not huge drinkers, we do enjoy a frozen cocktail or two by the pool, possibly a drink with dinner, and drinks at the piano bar (or another bar) in the evening. While on the MG, we did not get drinks by the pool or at dinner and really limited our evening drinking because of the cost… I think it’s just a subconscious thing, if it’s paid for, we feel better/easier about doing it. It’s not really the money, it’s more, do we really need to spend it vs it’s already paid for so go for it! 

We also think we will venture out to the other bars on the ship more and try different bars/drinks because if we don’t like something we can order something else. 

We both drink specialty coffees (me more) and would have had many more had they been “included.” The milkshakes, water (that we will use for sure) and soda (DH usually gets bubbles) will be used too. 

Finally, we are going to buy some AARP cards to offset the cost a bit. we discussed just putting the cards on the sign and sale account and buying what we want as we go. Just knowing our personalities, I think we would subconsciously second guess if se really needed to get that drink/coffee/milkshake. When we buy stuff for our kids, we wouldn’t hesitate, but when it’s for us…well, I’m sure people understand.So, we will see after trying it once if we feel it was “worth it.” 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d12j28 said:

And you know this "truth" how? 

Common sense, business knowledge, and reading these posts for years. A bunch of people indicate that they get the drink package so that they don't have to look at their running tab. They don't care if they hit the actual dollar amount. They are willing to pay for the "convenience. "

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

And you asked a question as well..."Are you willing to pay 600 for beverages?". And I answered.  I personally don't care if somebody else doesn't get their monies worth because I know me and my DH will.  Non alcoholic drinks plus 9 alcoholic drinks per day between the two of us is break even.  Easy peasy. 

• Like 1