Why testing in Greece?

Why testing in Greece?

From the us Embassy website:

• Entry Restrictions to Greece Relaxed: As of May 1, 2022, travelers entering Greece are no longer required to display a certificate of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19, or evidence of a negative test result from SARS-CoV-2 infection.

But, on the RC FAQ page it says:

Updated Vaccination Protocol for U.S. and European Cruises Departing on or after September 5, 2022

Beginning September 5, all travelers, regardless of vaccination status, can cruise on the following itineraries, as long as they meet testing requirements to board.(Note: Guests that are not "up to date" on their vaccination per EMA standards will need to take a test onboard in order to get off the ship in Greece and Spain)

It says "up to date" but there is no vaccine required.  

All cruise lines still require testing for cruises out of Greece (even the ones that have dropped testing for other cruises) which makes me think there are different requirements for cruise ships than the land/air requirements posted on their tourism website.  It may even have to do with the specific port agreements the cruise lines made with Greece.  Often throughout this pandemic countries have established different rules for cruise lines than they did for land/air travel.  They don't always publish the cruise line guidelines on their websites because they depend on the cruise lines to both relay the correct information to their passengers and then confirm their passengers followed the protocols.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, prmssk said:

All cruise lines still require testing for cruises out of Greece (even the ones that have dropped testing for other cruises) which makes me think there are different requirements for cruise ships than the land/air requirements posted on their tourism website.  It may even have to do with the specific port agreements the cruise lines made with Greece.  Often throughout this pandemic countries have established different rules for cruise lines than they did for land/air travel.  They don't always publish the cruise line guidelines on their websites because they depend on the cruise lines to both relay the correct information to their passengers and then confirm their passengers followed the protocols.

We are not sailing out of Greece.  We are sailing to Greece from Italy.  RC still says " Guests that are not "up to date" on their vaccination per EMA standards will need to take a test onboard in order to get off the ship in Greece and Spain)"

There is no vaccination requirement in Greece.

Here's what Viking Cruises says on their website, the info is per 12 Aug. This might explain the discrepancy, and indeed there seems to be specific rules for cruise ships & cruise guests - but admittedly this is about boarding and not visiting during a cruise. 

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-PreCruiseRequirement-All-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ.pdf

Greece - In addition to Viking’s vaccination requirement, please ensure you have the following: 1. Proof of negative COVID-19 test (laboratory-certified) NOTE: The port authority in Greece requires pre-embarkation test results for travelers boarding a cruise ship, in accordance with EU cruise ship travel guidelines. The country of Greece does not list these requirements on their official travel site (listed below), as the pre-embarkation test requirement is separate from any requirements for entry to the country of Greece. Without proof of a laboratory-certified negative COVID-19 test, you may be unable to embark the ship and begin your journey.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, tlguinn_2000 said:

We are not sailing out of Greece.  We are sailing to Greece from Italy.  RC still says " Guests that are not "up to date" on their vaccination per EMA standards will need to take a test onboard in order to get off the ship in Greece and Spain)"

There is no vaccination requirement in Greece.

My point was that Greece has specific testing requirements for cruise passengers (that are different than those requirements for those who enter by land or air) and so all the cruise lines (including the ones dropping testing and vaccination requirements) have requirements for cruises that embark or stop in Greece. As an example, NCL requires guests to vaccinated AND up-to-date for any cruise that stops at Greece at any point. Plus the require a pre-cruise test for any cruise that embarks from Greece. 

Edited by prmssk

So you can fly into Greece without a test, but you have to take a test to leave on a cruise ship.

This makes no sense.

Does anyone know whether the port authority have any plans to rescind this ridiculous rule?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

So you can fly into Greece without a test, but you have to take a test to leave on a cruise ship.

This makes no sense.

Does anyone know whether the port authority have any plans to rescind this ridiculous rule?

I have absolutely no idea if or when it might change. But I do also very much suspect that ultimately it's about politics in countries that depend heavily on tourism. The income is sorely needed so restrictions need to go - but on the other hand a significant chunk of the population still worries about tourists bringing in Covid. Cruise ships are a convenient target, as you can always say "we are protecting the public by strictly testing & monitoring cruise guests" - while at the same time keeping the rest of the hospitality industry happy by not limiting their business anymore.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

This makes no sense.

Canada is exactly the same.  No testing needed to arrive in Canada by either air or land border but you need one for cruises.  I'm from Canada and I don't understand it either.  Hopefully, changes will be coming soon. 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 3:45 PM, prmssk said:

My point was that Greece has specific testing requirements for cruise passengers (that are different than those requirements for those who enter by land or air) and so all the cruise lines (including the ones dropping testing and vaccination requirements) have requirements for cruises that embark or stop in Greece. As an example, NCL requires guests to vaccinated AND up-to-date for any cruise that stops at Greece at any point. Plus the require a pre-cruise test for any cruise that embarks from Greece. 

Spoke to NCL yesterday- no requirement to be vaxed or test each time you get off at a Greek port once the rules ease from early Sept.  So why is RCCL still going to test? 

Edited by chelleyLeighP
typo

12 minutes ago, chelleyLeighP said:

Spoke to NCL yesterday- no requirement to be vaxed or test each time you get off at a Greek port once the rules ease from early Sept.  So why is RCCL still going to test? 

Cruise line reps have often not had all the information correct.  This is what NCL's website says today about their new policy allowing unvaccinated people starting in September.

Local regulations may have different requirements to enter certain countries – make sure to check Travel Requirements by Country to understand country specific requirements. Guests may be denied boarding if all country specific requirements are not met.

If you click on the Travel Requirements by Country page and go down to Greece, this is what NCL says.

Booster Requirement

• Itineraries that include Greece require a booster, for all individuals  18 years or older, if their original vaccine course was taken more than 270 days prior to embarkation. 
  • For itineraries which require boosters, in lieu of a booster 270 days after the primary series, guests may present a government recognized or official medical Certificate of Recovery. 
    • For European Citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate. 
    • For all others unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e. US Citizens) a doctor’s note, plus a laboratory confirmed PCR or antigen test result with the proper information (i.e. Name, Date, Date of Birth, Positive Result, etc.) will be accepted. 
  • Guests who cannot meet the above requirements should not travel to the ship as they will be unable to board.

NCL's current policy still requires a vaccine (and a booster) to go to Greece even for cruises starting in September (likely to avoid testing passengers according to Greece's requirements).  When Greece changes their policy, I'm sure NCL and Royal will both change theirs.  They are direct competitors and will not want the other cruise line to have an advantage.

11 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Cruise line reps have often not had all the information correct.  This is what NCL's website says today about their new policy allowing unvaccinated people starting in September.

Local regulations may have different requirements to enter certain countries – make sure to check Travel Requirements by Country to understand country specific requirements. Guests may be denied boarding if all country specific requirements are not met.

If you click on the Travel Requirements by Country page and go down to Greece, this is what NCL says.

Booster Requirement

• Itineraries that include Greece require a booster, for all individuals  18 years or older, if their original vaccine course was taken more than 270 days prior to embarkation. 
  • For itineraries which require boosters, in lieu of a booster 270 days after the primary series, guests may present a government recognized or official medical Certificate of Recovery. 
    • For European Citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate. 
    • For all others unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e. US Citizens) a doctor’s note, plus a laboratory confirmed PCR or antigen test result with the proper information (i.e. Name, Date, Date of Birth, Positive Result, etc.) will be accepted. 
  • Guests who cannot meet the above requirements should not travel to the ship as they will be unable to board.

NCL's current policy still requires a vaccine (and a booster) to go to Greece even for cruises starting in September (likely to avoid testing passengers according to Greece's requirements).  When Greece changes their policy, I'm sure NCL and Royal will both change theirs.  They are direct competitors and will not want the other cruise line to have an advantage.

Thank you, I saw this on their site but find it not completely straight-forward.  I did speak to two different reps who both seemed to check into some sort of individual country list and assure me, however it is hard to know what to believe... Will wait it out.

Edited by chelleyLeighP
stood corrected

2 minutes ago, chelleyLeighP said:

Thank you, I saw this on their site but it almost seems as if the "individual country section" has not been updated since August 8th (before the upcoming ease in restrictions was announced).  I did speak to two different reps who both seemed to check into some sort of individual country list and assure me, however it is hard to know what to believe...

Since the restart, I have been shocked at the conflicting and wrong information people are told by cruise line reps of all the cruise lines I follow.  It really makes it so much harder for the passenger.

Things are changing fast though so I imagine it is hard to keep up.  Hopefully Greece (and Canada and Bermuda) will loosen their restrictions soon so the testing and vaccination requirements (or lack of them) can be consistent across the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

Since the restart, I have been shocked at the conflicting and wrong information people are told by cruise line reps of all the cruise lines I follow.  It really makes it so much harder for the passenger.

Things are changing fast though so I imagine it is hard to keep up.  Hopefully Greece (and Canada and Bermuda) will loosen their restrictions soon so the testing and vaccination requirements (or lack of them) can be consistent across the board.

yes I agree.

Everyday I wake up and wonder what new announcements will be made about Canada and Bermuda.

The most interesting news this week is that Disney now allows kids under 11 to NOT be vaccinated.  Otherwise testing still required.  Hmmm me thinks it is best to drop testing and NOT drop any vaccine requirements.   oh well 

So i'm on a Sept. 11th cruise out of Rome going to Greece [etc] on Carnival...since i have to leave the US on Sept 8th, if I took a pcr test before i left home, it would be more than the required 3 days [72 hours] before landing in Greece.  Should i assume that i would either need to get tested onboard the cruise ship or have to find some place in Rome to get the PCR?   Any advice/info is appreciated.  Thanks

16 minutes ago, lynne smith said:

So i'm on a Sept. 11th cruise out of Rome going to Greece [etc] on Carnival...since i have to leave the US on Sept 8th, if I took a pcr test before i left home, it would be more than the required 3 days [72 hours] before landing in Greece.  Should i assume that i would either need to get tested onboard the cruise ship or have to find some place in Rome to get the PCR?   Any advice/info is appreciated.  Thanks

You will get better answers from the Carnival board as to what specifically what Carnival requires.  But as a general rule when a cruise line says 3 days, they aren't counting in hours.  If they say 3 days and you embark on September 11, that means you can take it anytime starting after midnight on September 8.  If they say 72 hours, then you need to calculate the hours more closely but I think Canada is the only one who has a requirement in hours.  

If you are referring to a mid-cruise test because you are not up-to-date (boosted or received your initial vaccine series less than 6 months ago), assuming Carnival allows you to cruise at all on that itinerary without being up-to-date, they will provide the test and may charge you for it.

• Like 1

People forget sometimes that the rules.....don't make sense.  That simple.  For example, Spain lifted vaccine mandates to enter the country, if you are from EU countries, but from the USA, you need a vaccine and/or a booster within 270 days.  No mask anyplace but on a bus.  So go to a crowded bar, shopping, sporting event, no mask required, but get on a bus, you better mask up.  

Just don't try to understand, because you can't.  Just follow and have fun.

On 8/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, Tatra603 said:

This makes no sense.

Covid rules don't have to make sense.

• Like 1

FWIW, I asked at our local pharmacy today about e-med tests being available in the EU. Our pharmacist had never even heard of the e-med self test, and I wouldn't have known of its existence either, unless I had read about it here on CC.

So for all Europeans, I think it would mean that you need to find a testing location, with opening hours to match your travel schedule, before you board.

On 8/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, Tatra603 said:

This makes no sense.

Why are you surprised?

So many countries (at least 2 dozen that I can confirm easily) have that exactly same requirements.

Whether right or wrong, the general perception of cruise ship to  non cruising public (and hence politicians representing their constituents) is that  

1. Cruise ship is petri dish of high concentration of virus (true but it  is true for fly, norovirus, step throat, etc., too)

2. Cruise ships bring covid to their community (true only for otherwise well isolated islands)

Ridiculous rule?

May be 

But when was the last time you posted about having to take off shoes at TSA for general travelers?

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Why are you surprised?

So many countries (at least 2 dozen that I can confirm easily) have that exactly same requirements.

Whether right or wrong, the general perception of cruise ship to  non cruising public (and hence politicians representing their constituents) is that  

1. Cruise ship is petri dish of high concentration of virus (true but it  is true for fly, norovirus, step throat, etc., too)

2. Cruise ships bring covid to their community (true only for otherwise well isolated islands)

The part that makes it nonsensical is that it includes itineraries leaving Greece and not coming back.  I am guessing the reason for that is it would be too troublesome to make up different rules for RT versus one way.