Car Rental at FLL vs. cruiseport - FLL is less

ctbeacher

Hi,

I need to rent a car to travel from FL to Sarasota post-cruise after disembarkation in Port Everglades in October.  My choices through Costco Travel are renting from Port Everglades (Budget or Avis) or at the car rental center at FL International Airport.

Right now I have a fast-break reservation with Budget (full size car) from FLL for $106 one way to SRQ airport.  From the port using the cruiseport shuttle is $174. So the cost of renting at the port is $68 more. 

I am leaning toward taking an Uber/Lyft/cab from the port to the airport rental center.  I know it is a crap shoot as to where the crowds will be, but I suspect the airport at 8:00 am will not have as many people getting cars vs the port.  Plus the $68 savings will more than cover the ride to the airport.

I assume getting a Uber/Lyft/cab is a snap at the port.

For those in the know, does my logic make sense? 

Many thanks & happy cruising!

Budget has, or did have, a desk at the nearby Renaissance hotel....easy walk from PE....no airport surcharge on the rentals.  We have used it...little to no problems.  It's about the equivalent of 4 city blocks.

23 hours ago, thinfool said:

Budget has, or did have, a desk at the nearby Renaissance hotel....easy walk from PE....no airport surcharge on the rentals.  We have used it...little to no problems.  It's about the equivalent of 4 city blocks.

I do not think this is correct advice for MOST cruise terminals in PE.  Only Princess is close enough to walk for most people and busy traffic as well.

image.png.04f52bb3abe10366357d668edc8f6b9d.png

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1