Serenade of Seas Alaska Booze Cruise

jlsqs

I wish I would have known that. I would never have booked this ship. My fault. The problem with the room choice is that my wife uses a walker and getting farther away is tough especially with the narrow halls.

I just can't believe they use that area which is a giant echo chamber until midnight for basically a rock concert

Never expected this on an Alaska cruise

I love load music growing up in 70's & 80's just not when sleeping.

We went on Royal Priincess a couple years ago to AK and it was completely different.

Never again on RCL. Going to Sitka today definitely finding ear plugs.

Rant Over

4 hours ago, retired dude said:

good reason to use a TA when booking a cruise. An experienced cruise pro would have known to tell you to not book rooms close the the centrum opening on any of the floors. You should allow at least   20 rooms either fore or aft from those midship elevators to get away from the noise...It is just the design of that class of ship...Besides that, they are very appealing ships in many ways...hope that helps.

It would be nice to be able to be 20 rooms away but it doesn't work with a person using a wheel chair/walker getting down the narrow hall. I have no problem with the elevator people talking noise. It is the rock band noise at midnight. It's just hard to make it all work with a disabled person for all parts of trip and I do, do a lot of research.

1 hour ago, jlsqs said:

It would be nice to be able to be 20 rooms away but it doesn't work with a person using a wheel chair/walker getting down the narrow hall. I have no problem with the elevator people talking noise. It is the rock band noise at midnight. It's just hard to make it all work with a disabled person for all parts of trip and I do, do a lot of research.

You should book near the forward elevators, not the aft.

We have had cabins near Centrum on Enchantment; never had any noise issues, nor did our friend who was in the first cabin.  I also find it interesting, on Enchantment, that we can sit in the walkway beside Bolero's, one deck above Centrum and not very far from it, and not hear any conflict with the music being played in Centrum and the music in Bolero's.

On Radiance there would be at least one fire door in which a passenger has pressed the manual door release button to close the door.  Even though that works to block noise it is problematic aswell. Elderly Passengers or passengers with disabilities may have hard times opening the doors as fire doors are very heavy and close really fast.

My mom had mobility issues over her last few years.  Something to consider - you can borrow a wheelchair from RCI (they used to be complimentary, but not sure if they have them available or if you needed to reserve in advance).  Another alternative, albeit at an extra expense, you can rent a scooter (I know my mom would have to reserve in advance).

FYI - last month we were on the Serenade with a cabin fairly close to the Centrum and did not experience very much noise or any outward drunkenness; but different sailing and different cabins, so maybe different circumstances.

PS: Loved the layout/setup of this ship and it's whole outward-looking/facing design.

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

Surprised about the noise. It was tame on our 9 night b2b from Tampa on Serenade in October.  Did another 4 nighter in December and it was the tame even though the drink package was only $40 a day!

We also stayed in the middle of the hump on deck 7 over the Centrum and Vintages at the end of our b2b and didn't hear a thing. Agree about the Radiance class and smoke though being a chimney in the Centrum. 

Just now, poocher said:

I’m an old fart but I don’t think entertainment in the entertainment venue until midnight on vacation is something most people would consider 

It is the noise level not the time. Nothing anybody can do not ruing trip or anything.

They did say that the bands control their own volume so some are louder than others and it is not tons of drunks just enough that like to whistle  and scream once in a while. Last night was fine but it was really rough so less people out.

Just now, Travel R said:

My mom had mobility issues over her last few years.  Something to consider - you can borrow a wheelchair from RCI (they used to be complimentary, but not sure if they have them available or if you needed to reserve in advance).  Another alternative, albeit at an extra expense, you can rent a scooter (I know my mom would have to reserve in advance).

FYI - last month we were on the Serenade with a cabin fairly close to the Centrum and did not experience very much noise or any outward drunkenness; but different sailing and different cabins, so maybe different circumstances.

PS: Loved the layout/setup of this ship and it's whole outward-looking/facing design.

Thx, The walker we have also converts to wheel chair so that part works ok. The scooter is a possibility down the road if her back gets worse but we are hoping not. 

On 8/16/2022 at 8:07 AM, reallyitsmema said:

I would expect the noise from the Centrum on that class of ship but I wouldn't expect a booze cruise on an Alaska sailing.  When we sailed Radiance to Alaska, it was a very laid back, sedate cruise.  Quantum was more lively.

I would check guest services for ear plugs and ask about closing fire doors if you are near those.  That helped a lot.

Stay away from the fire doors. Our cabin was three doors down from those doors and people went through them from about 11pm to around 3 am slamming them every time. There was traffic like the freeway.  I would take the music over those slamming doors any time. 

I'm sorry this was your experience. We sailed on Radiance and did NB Alaska Vancouver to Seward in 2018. Hubby, youngest son and I had the first balcony cabin just off the Centrum and my mom and our twins had the neighboring accessible balcony. We were on deck 8. In the hallway we could hear the music, but not inside our cabin. 

One of my favorite class of ships. I feel your pain, one of my European cruises we had a room close the centrum elevator...never again booking in that location. The ship layout as a whole though, I do love. Every place you go you almost always see the sea.

Good news is yesterday front desk called and said volume was going to be less after I did talk to them day before. It was definitely quieter last night and they actually called back again today to see how we were doing. I give them credit for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jlsqs said:

Good news is yesterday front desk called and said volume was going to be less after I did talk to them day before. It was definitely quieter last night and they actually called back again today to see how we were doing. I give them credit for that.

We've always found the onboard staff to be very responsive to their guests concerns. Glad you've found this to be true also.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 10:36 AM, poocher said:

That is the entertainment area for that class of ship.  Good information for future reference.  I’ve only taken 4 cruises with  2 more booked but I’ve learned I don’t like ships without a Royal promenade.  The Centrum is just a very odd set up.

I love the layout of the Centrum. I like the fact that when something is going on on deck 4, you can be 2 or 3 decks up and still be able to be a part of it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I love the layout of the Centrum. I like the fact that when something is going on on deck 4, you can be 2 or 3 decks up and still be able to be a part of it.

Different strokes.  Being on a different deck made me feel like I was watching, not participating.  And the area to actually participate was tiny.  JMHO

3 hours ago, poocher said:

Different strokes.  Being on a different deck made me feel like I was watching, not participating.  And the area to actually participate was tiny.  JMHO

Not a fan of the Centrum at all....but other than that those class's of ships are great. But I always miss the Promenade.