New Rules for Bermuda Cruise passengers. Aka this will affect my Beyond cruise in October

mfs2k

24 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Does this mean that is we choose not to get off the ship in Bermuda we do not have to pay their $40 fee?  Previously, it was required in order to even board the ship.

It's still needed to board the ship.  This is explicitly stated at the very top of the Bermuda form: 

Cruise Passenger Travel Authorisation

Effective 22 August 2022:

Bermuda Entry Requirements for: Cruise Ship Passengers

All passengers over the age of 2 years MUST have an approved Bermuda Travel Authorisation (TA) before arriving at the embarkation terminal.

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

I realize there are confusing info being provided via the Bermuda site, but I’ll stick with the Celebrity site updated 22 Aug which now shows a monitored test is required, as was previously for so many cruises prior to Boarding the cruise ship. And the biggie for those of us taking TA’s is the 4 day or longer prior to arrival in Bermuda has been dropped.

So right now for those of us on TA’s we now arent going to be tested while on board prior to actual Bermuda arrival, but need to take a monitored test prior to boarding, which has required before. 

And yes, this is a Major plus doing away with the onboard testing. And yes, read the Bermuda site. But again, since I’m Boarding a Celebrity ship, I’ll stick with Their requirements and track that. 

Den

36 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And the biggie for those of us taking TA’s is the 4 day or longer prior to arrival in Bermuda has been dropped.

Well, it seems to have dropped off Celebrity's site BUT the same Celebrity web page says "for more details on Bermuda’s requirements, please visit their dedicated website here."

And the "here" link takes you to Bermuda's Travel Authorization site, with the rules effective today (Aug. 22), and those rules still say that a test is required on board if the ship will be arriving in Bermuda more than 4 days after embarkation. 

20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Den, I'll do what Celebrity says to board in Barcelona which is now a test 1 day before embarkation,  but until Bermuda changes their travel site I will expect to be tested before getting to Bermuda. 

Exactly.  I hope Celebrity gets this all clarified for folks soon.    

3 hours ago, GRBlizz said:

I guess we have to find a testing place in Southampton, ugh.

Take a look at the Regenerative Clinic; same day rapid antigen test (results within 4 hours).  I found their name here on CC;  they were very responsive in replying to emails when I had some questions before booking some tests. Conveniently located in the West Quay Center. 

https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/southampton-covid-19-pcr-testing-same-day-and-next-day-covid-19-pcr-service/

https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/southampton-covid-19-rapid-antigen-test-appointment-booking/

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

So right now for those of us on TA’s we now arent going to be tested while on board prior to actual Bermuda arrival, but need to take a monitored test prior to boarding, which has required before.

We will if we choose to disembark there - at least that's how I read it.  That was actually the major change in the most recent update.

• Like 1

Here is what the Celebrity website says for Bermuda testing and it dropped any reference to testing on board if the ship takes longer than 4 days. I’d ‘assume’ it wasnt just removed in error…..but since I dont have to worry about that, the ship does on how they’d run that, it is just something we can kick around.

Celebrity: 

Sailing Testing Requirements 

All guests ages 2 and older must present a digital or physical copy of a supervised, negative COVID-19 test result at check-in to board their sailing, whether a pre-arrival test (for vaccinated) or test administered at the terminal (for unvaccinated).

Up-to-Date* Guests and Fully Vaccinated** but not Up-to-Date Guests: Must present a negative antigen test result taken within 2 days prior to sailing. Pre-arrival testing must be completed by an authorized provider at your own expense. 

Unvaccinated Guests: Must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test result taken within 3 days prior to sailing. Pre-arrival testing must be completed by an authorized provider at your own expense. Unvaccinated guests will also be tested at the Terminal prior to Embarkation, with the cost of this test covered by Celebrity. PCR and antigen test may not be taken on the same day.

Debark/Re-Entry

No Debark testing is required.

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Here is what the Celebrity website says for Bermuda testing and it dropped any reference to testing on board if the ship takes longer than 4 days. I’d ‘assume’ it wasnt just removed in error…..but since I dont have to worry about that, the ship does on how they’d run that, it is just something we can kick around.

Celebrity: 

Sailing Testing Requirements 

All guests ages 2 and older must present a digital or physical copy of a supervised, negative COVID-19 test result at check-in to board their sailing, whether a pre-arrival test (for vaccinated) or test administered at the terminal (for unvaccinated).

Up-to-Date* Guests and Fully Vaccinated** but not Up-to-Date Guests: Must present a negative antigen test result taken within 2 days prior to sailing. Pre-arrival testing must be completed by an authorized provider at your own expense. 

Unvaccinated Guests: Must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test result taken within 3 days prior to sailing. Pre-arrival testing must be completed by an authorized provider at your own expense. Unvaccinated guests will also be tested at the Terminal prior to Embarkation, with the cost of this test covered by Celebrity. PCR and antigen test may not be taken on the same day.

Debark/Re-Entry

No Debark testing is required.

So testing yourself and presenting those results just went away? 

7 hours ago, canderson said:

@Turtles06

Yup, that new added language didn't appear by accident.  

Could conceivably reduce the load on Medical enough to make testing practical without a big staff-up if enough choose to stay aboard.  However, after four days at sea after Ponta Delgada, bet a lot will want to put their toes in the sand, so to speak.

This does seem to be the first time Bermuda has distinguished between guests who wish to stay aboard and those who wish to disembark.  I  just read the new language on the Travel Authorization site and it does seem to carve out an exception.  But, they still require any one who gets on the Cruise to possess a valid Travel Authorization so regardless of whether you want to disembark or not, they want their $40.00.

1 hour ago, capecodmercury said:

This does seem to be the first time Bermuda has distinguished between guests who wish to stay aboard and those who wish to disembark.  I  just read the new language on the Travel Authorization site and it does seem to carve out an exception.  But, they still require any one who gets on the Cruise to possess a valid Travel Authorization so regardless of whether you want to disembark or not, they want their $40.00.

It seems Bermuda has recognized they can’t force Transatlantic passengers to test mid cruise but they can prevent them from disembarking. 
They CAN require all passengers to test prior to embarkation if the ship is going directly to Bermuda and they don’t have to police who gets on and off those ships. 

• Like 1

Guys, the Bermuda travel site doesn't say that the facility test is required prior to starting the cruise. It says the test must be taken within four days (for vaxxed passengers) of leaving the last port before Bermuda. Since the Silhouette TA's last port before Bermuda is Day 5 of the cruise, there is no way to have a test in Southampton count.  If a remote supervised test isn't acceptable, we may be looking for testing places in Tenerife!

28 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

Guys, the Bermuda travel site doesn't say that the facility test is required prior to starting the cruise. It says the test must be taken within four days (for vaxxed passengers) of leaving the last port before Bermuda. Since the Silhouette TA's last port before Bermuda is Day 5 of the cruise, there is no way to have a test in Southampton count.  If a remote supervised test isn't acceptable, we may be looking for testing places in Tenerife!

That's incorrect. Bermuda's instructions for cruise ship passengers specifically say the test has to be taken "before embarkation". The words "last port before Bermuda" are not in the instructions. For cruises arriving in Bermuda more than 4 days after embarkation a second test has to be done on board up to two days prior to arrival in Bermuda .

To receive an approved Travel Authorisation, you will need:

1. A Mastercard or Visa credit card to pay the $40 Travel Authorisation application fee
  2. If fully vaccinated, have your vaccination certificate/card ready to upload to your application. Click here for Bermuda’s definition of fully vaccinated
  3. If unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated, have proof of travel health insurance ready to upload to your application. Click here for the requirements for valid proof of travel health insurance

Note: Unvaccinated children 11 years and under travelling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians can upload their guardian’s vaccination certificate instead of proof of travel health insurance.

1. Take a COVID-19 test at a testing facility no more than two days before embarkation (fully vaccinated travelers can take a PCR test up to 4 days before embarkation)

Summary table of travel requirements for cruise ship passengers landing in Bermuda:

Passenger Category

Cruise voyage where ship takes 4 days or less to arrive to Bermuda from embarkation port

Cruise voyage where ship takes longer than 4 days to arrive to Bermuda from embarkation port

Fully Vaccinated Cruise Ship Passengers

and

Unvaccinated Children 11 years and under travelling with fully vaccinated parent/guardian

1. Approved Travel Authorisation

2. Negative Pre-departure test:

COVID-19 NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA) up to 4 days before embarkation

OR

Supervised antigen up to 2 days before embarkation

3. Vaccination certificate/card  

COVID-19 NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA) up to 4 days before embarkation

OR

3. Vaccination certificate/card  

4. Supervised COVID-19 test on board, up to 2 days before arrival to Bermuda

Unvaccinated or Not Fully Vaccinated Cruise Ship Passengers

COVID-19 NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA) up to 2 days before embarkation

OR

3. Proof of travel health insurance

4. To be allowed to come off the ship in Bermuda, show your cruise ship proof of a COVID-19 test dated no more than 2 days before arrival.

COVID-19 NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA) up to 2 days before embarkation

OR

3. Proof of travel health insurance

4.  Mandatory supervised COVID-19 test on board, up to 2 days before arrival to Bermuda (this test will allow you to come off the ship in Bermuda)

Passenger Children under 2

No travel Authorisation and no testing required

No travel Authorisation and no testing required

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That's incorrect. Bermuda's instructions for cruise ship passengers specifically say the test has to be taken "before embarkation". The words "last port before Bermuda" are not in the instructions. For cruises arriving in Bermuda more than 4 days after embarkation a second test has to be done on board up to two days prior to arrival in Bermuda .

To receive an approved Travel Authorisation, you will need:

1. A Mastercard or Visa credit card to pay the $40 Travel Authorisation application fee
  2. If fully vaccinated, have your vaccination certificate/card ready to upload to your application. Click here for Bermuda’s definition of fully vaccinated
  3. If unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated, have proof of travel health insurance ready to upload to your application. Click here for the requirements for valid proof of travel health insurance

Note: Unvaccinated children 11 years and under travelling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians can upload their guardian’s vaccination certificate instead of proof of travel health insurance.

1. Take a COVID-19 test at a testing facility no more than two days before embarkation (fully vaccinated travelers can take a PCR test up to 4 days before embarkation)

Yes, but see this. Their definition of "embarkation" seems to be "embarkation from the last port before arriving in Bermuda." We definitely need clarification, and X needs to provide it.

https://www.gov.bm/covid-19-tests-accepted-bermuda

• If taking a PCR, LAMP or TMA test, the date of the test must be no more than 4 days before the arrival date if arriving by air, or 4 days before the date of departure from the last port if arriving by sea 
  • If taking a supervised antigen test, the date of the test must be no more than 2 days before the arrival date if arriving by air, or 2 days before the date of departure from the last port if arriving by sea.
Edited by GRBlizz

7 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

Yes, but see this. Their definition of "embarkation" seems to be "embarkation from the last port before arriving in Bermuda." We definitely need clarification, and X needs to provide it.

• If taking a PCR, LAMP or TMA test, the date of the test must be no more than 4 days before the arrival date if arriving by air, or 4 days before the date of departure from the last port if arriving by sea 
  • If taking a supervised antigen test, the date of the test must be no more than 2 days before the arrival date if arriving by air, or 2 days before the date of departure from the last port if arriving by sea.

We're all on different cruises.  

My repositioning cruise on Beyond embarks from Bayonne on 10/26 and arrives in Bermuda on 10/28 so the 2 day rule applies to us.

There are other cruises leaving from Europe on a Transatlantic trip and arriving in Bermuda 4 or more days later so the 4 day rule applies to them.

It all depends on what ship and itinerary you are on. 

11 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

That is not how they  interpret and enforce that. They do what I posted. AFAIK all cruise lines follow the procedure on the instructions I quoted. 

I think that was a holdover from quite a while ago when they mistakenly took the requirements for seafarers/mariners and failed to distinguish them from requirements for cruisers. They just never corrected that piece.

14 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

That is not how they  interpret and enforce that. They do what I posted. AFAIK all cruise lines follow the procedure on the instructions I quoted. 

I think that was a holdover from quite a while ago when they mistakenly took the requirements for seafarers/mariners and failed to distinguish them from requirements for cruisers. They just never corrected that piece.

I hope that is right. It will be a lot easier to get a facility test before we leave the US on the 17th than in Tenerife!

• 2 weeks later...

Over in the NCL forum, it's being reported that NCL has cancelled a scheduled call to Bermuda (for less than a full day) that was on the itinerary for a transatlantic out of the Med this fall.  It will be interesting to see if Celebrity does the same for any of its TAs with Bermuda on the itinerary.  (The Silhouette TA has a scheduled overnight in Bermuda, which is a different kettle of fish.  The others I believe are not overnights.) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Over in the NCL forum, it's being reported that NCL has cancelled a scheduled call to Bermuda (for less than a full day) that was on the itinerary for a transatlantic out of the Med this fall.  It will be interesting to see if Celebrity does the same for any of its TAs with Bermuda on the itinerary.  (The Silhouette TA has a scheduled overnight in Bermuda, which is a different kettle of fish.  The others I believe are not overnights.) 

With final disembarkation in Miami, timing-wise that Bermuda overnight can easily be replaced by a couple Bahamas stops. Time will tell, but I wouldn't be surprised it that's what happens.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RichYak said:

With final disembarkation in Miami, timing-wise that Bermuda overnight can easily be replaced by a couple Bahamas stops. Time will tell, but I wouldn't be surprised it that's what happens.

I'm on that T/A and we're all waiting to see what happens next!!