Three in a cabin on Explorer

jeb_bud

I am planning a family cruise to Alaska on Explorer for 2024, which will include my son, DIL, and their 15 year old son. On the deck plan I see some Superior Suite rooms with sofas that convert to beds, but only a few. I’m assuming that the nightly turn-down service in those rooms would include preparing the sofa bed. But how do they handle a third passenger in the rooms without sofa beds?

Does anyone have experience cruising three to a room on Explorer?  How is it managed?

Thanks

Edited by jeb_bud
Fixed a typo

57 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

On the deck plan I see some Superior Suite rooms with sofas that convert to beds, but only a few. I’m assuming that the nightly turn-down service in those rooms would include preparing the sofa bed. But how do they handle a third passenger in the rooms without sofa beds?

Unless we are missing something here, if a suite does not have a sofa bed then it would indicate that it cannot accommodate a third person. There may be room, but they don't want to do it for whatever reason. 

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

14 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Unless we are missing something here, if a suite does not have a sofa bed then it would indicate that it cannot accommodate a third person. There may be room, but they don't want to do it for whatever reason. 

You might be right about that.  I could be interpreting this wrong, but my wife has seen posts of Facebook mentioning dozens of children on recent Alaska cruises.  I think one post mentioned 75 kids.

By my count there are 29 suites with sofa beds in Categories F through D.  I have no idea how many kids have their own rooms or share rooms with siblings, but if there is a high double-digit number of kids on a cruise it wouldn't surprise me if the sofa beds would be unavailable for some.

I can't remember the topic or the ship, or the category, but I have a vague recollection of a post a few weeks ago on this board that mentioned a roll-away bed being used for their third person.

I'm just hoping someone on this board has had personal experience cruising Regent with two roommates and can tell me how it worked out.

53 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

You might be right about that.  I could be interpreting this wrong, but my wife has seen posts of Facebook mentioning dozens of children on recent Alaska cruises.  I think one post mentioned 75 kids.

By my count there are 29 suites with sofa beds in Categories F through D.  I have no idea how many kids have their own rooms or share rooms with siblings, but if there is a high double-digit number of kids on a cruise it wouldn't surprise me if the sofa beds would be unavailable for some.

I can't remember the topic or the ship, or the category, but I have a vague recollection of a post a few weeks ago on this board that mentioned a roll-away bed being used for their third person.

I'm just hoping someone on this board has had personal experience cruising Regent with two roommates and can tell me how it worked out.

Often a family will put 1 parent with 1 child on the reservation to meet Regent's rules...then put the kids together to actually sleep.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Often a family will put 1 parent with 1 child on the reservation to meet Regent's rules...then put the kids together to actually sleep.

Guilty as charged.  With the caveat that we were on one side of the kids' cabin, and the grandparents were on the other side.  The cabin stewards were also told to let us know of any infractions ASAP.  The girls were 16 and 17 at the time and under pain of death for any improper behavior.   They pretty much binge-watched 'Glee' and ordered room service the entire trip.

In all of our Regent cruises there has only been one trip where we had some 'out of control' kids on board.  A few calls to the desk (I'm sure we weren't the only ones) and a few 'polite discussions' with the parents took care of it, fortunately.  I'd like to think the captain threatened to put them all ashore at the next port, but whatever actually happened seemed to fix the issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Guilty as charged.  With the caveat that we were on one side of the kids' cabin, and the grandparents were on the other side.  The cabin stewards were also told to let us know of any infractions ASAP.  The girls were 16 and 17 at the time and under pain of death for any improper behavior.   They pretty much binge-watched 'Glee' and ordered room service the entire trip.

In all of our Regent cruises there has only been one trip where we had some 'out of control' kids on board.  A few calls to the desk (I'm sure we weren't the only ones) and a few 'polite discussions' with the parents took care of it, fortunately.  I'd like to think the captain threatened to put them all ashore at the next port, but whatever actually happened seemed to fix the issue.

It has been my experience that kinds under 18 are often better behaved than kids over 18...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pcardad said:

It has been my experience that kinds under 18 are often better behaved than kids over 18...

I think it's also safe to say that the behavior of kids under 18 corresponds directly to the behavior of the over 18's that trained 'em...

• Like 8

There are a limited number of roll away beds on Explorer. We were on board last Feb in a PH and a roll away was brought in for our son. Worked out just fine. Removed in the morning and brought back in the evening. Have your TA confirm it.

We have booked two cabins next to each other when the boys were younger.  Put them in one and us in the other and never had a problem, but they were under strict orders to behave.  The cabin stewards spoiled them though.

• Haha 1