Royal Caribbean review ratings

sowhat

2 minutes ago, sowhat said:

They are not one line reviews, just the title of the review from cruise  critic  of royal caribbean

I went and read a few of the negative reviews. The theme of the negativity was either due to covid protocols or ridiculously petty high expectations for things

• Like 1

I don't put much faith in these overall company reviews.  They are just too generalized.  Reviews of particular aspects, such as an excursions, ports, individual restaurants/meals, or onboard activities are probably more honest and reliable.

10 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

Written text reviews are much more important to me.

I agree.  Reading a person's details "trip report" give me much more information than a 5-point scale and two-sentence review.  I think these detailed reports tend to cover both the good and the bad, plus you get a better feel for the person's expectations. 

When I read reviews I pay attention to what is said.  Would this particular thing they are complaining about bother me?  Most of the time the answer is no.

I expect cleanliness, decent food and good entertainment.  I didn’t like the buffet on Liberty, too many stews, curries, etc. but I didn’t go hungry.  They offered hot dogs from a cart on the pool deck.  I never eat hot dogs except at the ball park so that was fun and different.  Others would be appalled at a hot dog for lunch.  

Read reviews and don’t look at the numbers.  I do the same for hotels on TripAdvisor. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I went and read a few of the negative reviews. The theme of the negativity was either due to covid protocols or ridiculously petty high expectations for things

"There was very little for my grandkids to do on Grandeur/Enchantment!!!"

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Not doubting that.  But you can use online reviews to determine if something is good for you.  You do need to read reviews with a grain of salt.  

True... Been few yrs but took Bus MGT, Marketing and Labor Relations in College

13 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

"There was very little for my grandkids to do on Grandeur/Enchantment!!!"

Understand though Cruising/Ships have changed. Newer Ships Amusement Parks with Tons to do. Though took my kids on these Ships 4-5 times 20-26yrs ago, they enjoyed Kids Programs, with Events for them until 1am back then and I took them ashore every port back then. They were Kool hanging with Dad, and still are!

Edited by ONECRUISER

Just got off adventure of the seas this morning.  I was impressed after reading so many negative reviews.  The ship was pretty full, the only place that we had trouble was getting a chair on sea days,  Chair hogs out in full.  But we still managed to get 2 together on deck above pool.  There was plenty of staff. Never waited for anything.  Our cabin steward was wonderful.  As were our waitress and asst waiter in dining room.  My husband and I loved the food. All was good.  My husband ordered two entrees every night.  THere were some that the others at our table did not like and they just ordered something else.  and it was brought out quickly.  The windjammer food was pretty good too. I mostly had the salad bar. The mac and cheese was fantastsic!!!  The wj could get crowded too. 

I was also impressed with the cleanliness of the ship. It looked like new carpeting might have been installed recently, little wear.  There were a few places that showed the ships age, but not very noticable.  All in all, it was up to rcl's standards in my opinion.  very good!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Exactly why we don't book or book a cruise line, ship, itinerary, etc based on others positive or negative experiences or opinions. 

Agree. Since was a Kid Reviews would say worst Movie of the yr, more times then not would be one my Favorite. Cruise Lines/Ships same, know what I like

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Not at all. If these are a bunch of one-liner reviews saying "it sucked" then those reviews are worthless.

If there is an actual review and the things the review focuses on are trivial or non-sensical ("the ship should go to the scrapyard") then they're worthless.

As I said, you have to read reviews with a grain of salt.  But to say online reviews (as a whole) are worthless isn't true (which is what I was responding to).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I love the bad ratings and reviews, hopefully they keep prices and passenger loads down.  I'll judge a cruise on my own.

Yep , me too . 🤣

I have one coming up and i intend to have a marvelous time .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

I love the bad ratings and reviews, hopefully they keep prices and passenger loads down.  I'll judge a cruise on my own.

If prices and passenger loads go down, and stay low for too long of a period, you’ll have to find another form of vacation. I don’t see any big trend of low prices, everything I looked at had prices above what we paid pre pandemic. It also appears that the passenger loads are rising as well. They started sailing, for real about a year ago and they still have massive debt and are still losing money. You really can’t blame the CDC anymore, maybe it’s time to clean house in Miami before it’s too late.

5 hours ago, Cruiser 5452 said:

Why all the gloom and doom?   You are on vacation….you don’t have to make your bed,  you don’t have to cook your meals, if you don’t like what you ordered,; order something else, no dishes to wash.  Other people clean up your messes.   Enjoy the sunshine, the music, meeting new people, trying new types of food, relax.  Too much negativity in the world.  So what if there is some rust;  this is a ship that sits in salt water 24 hours per day.  So what if there is a little stain here and there.  Try looking at the good things, and the fun, and the sun.  Again, you are on vacation, enjoy it.

In fairness there are lots of options for fun and sun when it comes to vacations. If you are going to spend money on it. You should expect to get some value for the money you spend. That is where cruising used to be number one. Value. Not so sure that is the case anymore. 

• Like 2

I think "not going hungry" is a pretty low bar. We've been on 5 cruises post-reopening, and we're about to take off on our 6th. 

Service and food were definitely not up to pre-covid standards. I think the vast majority of issues are related to the supply chain and staffing issues. EVERYONE was doing their best under really tough circumstances.

That said, if some of these had been my first cruise, and I didn't understand the underlying issues, I'd think hard before cruising with Royal again.

I believe that Royal rolled the dice and increased passenger load hoping that staffing and supply chain would work out before the full cruises. That didn't happen.

I think it's appropriate for passengers to let Royal know that they expect better. If the current standards are perceived as acceptable, they won't improve when the short-term issues are resolved.

Edited by cruisin from florida
Misspelling
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 3:55 PM, cruisin from florida said:

I think "not going hungry" is a pretty low bar. We've been on 5 cruises post-reopening, and we're about to take off on our 6th. 

Service and food were definitely not up to pre-covid standards. I think the vast majority of issues are related to the supply chain and staffing issues. EVERYONE was doing their best under really tough circumstances.

That said, if some of these had been my first cruise, and I didn't understand the underlying issues, I'd think hard before cruising with Royal again.

I believe that Royal rolled the dice and increased passenger load hoping that staffing and supply chain would work out before the full cruises. That didn't happen.

I think it's appropriate for passengers to let Royal know that they expect better. If the current standards are perceived as acceptable, they won't improve when the short-term issues are resolved.

This is the best post in this thread. Imho you are right in all counts. Pretty much same thing is happening with the Disney parks.

• Like 1

For me, once the ship pushes away from the dock, I leave the world behind.  An early morning coffee to watch the sunrise, breakfast and lunch in the MDR, a good book and a shady spot on the promenade, a wee dram or three in the evening and I'm good.

Any questions?  See my signature line below.

• Like 2