Do room stewards know that you prepaid gratiuties?

jkx

20 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I can't believe I got sucked into a tipping thread and put in so much  time & effort.

I need to find a hobby 😆

Take up golf. Then we can all argue over how much to tip the cart attendant and the beverage cart person.

• Haha 4

This thread is saturated with civility. Such a pleasure to see a topic that has been grossly overworked approaching 400 replies with only the most engaging of comments directed at one another. Politeness works, although it is refreshing to witness a bit of a skirmish every now and then.

Don't think that I have gleaned anything from this thread but obviously many good folks have taken to it quite enthusiastically. Apparently, "tipping" conversations have been around for a long time. Is anyone aware of the parchment scrolls recently discovered in Palos de la Frontera, Spain? That is where Columbus set sail from in 1492. Some of the translation reads, "propina a tu antojo pero asegurate de dar propina."  

At cruise's end, I know that when I walk off the ship I am comfortable with my gratuity philosophy, an important part of my overall cruising experience.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

48 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Take up golf. Then we can all argue over how much to tip the cart attendant and the beverage cart person.

what about the guy mowing?  Does he not deserve a tip..... we can argue lots over golf.....  but at least the air is refreshing.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

How much do you tip the beverage cart person? And please tell us why you tip that amount. Your wife won't be reading this thread so you can be totally honest with us. 😉

• Haha 3

It's Friday afternoon and I need a little diversion so I'll add to this thread.  I prepaid the so-called gratuities, which is a gross misnomer, just so I wouldn't have to "tip" anyone while on board; I hate having to carry around a bunch of nickels and dimes.

With that stated, if our cabin steward or stewardess does an exceptional job, I will likely make small emoluments to supplement the aforementioned "gratuities" in the form of eloquent and quaint sayings handwritten on the back of a paper coasters and left on the pillow or bathroom floor.

Don't you judge me...

Edited by LEMJMcC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1