The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 20th, 2022

richwmn

Thunderstorm just came up in a flash, and now it's pouring more rain.  There is a Space Station sighting tomorrow morning, and I'm thinking it might be a bit cloudy, and will sleep right through it.

@HAL SailerPrayers are being sent your way.  My mom died from melanoma, she gave up the fight, well she didnt want to fight at all.  She  didn't want chemo or radiation.  Its a hard disease to fight, but your DSIL can fight.  I am so glad that her son is doing better and can be there for her.

Hugs and prayers.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dfish said:

@Cruising-alongI didn't know about the stuff you can buy to harden paint.  I was following the directions from the county hazardous waste disposal website.  I'm not sure what kind of hazardous waste they accept, but it isn't paint, lighter fluid, paint thinner, brake fluid, garden fertilizers and weed killers, etc.  I think they just tell us that stuff is hazardous.  

King County brings a truck and a crew up to Skykomish every year for a "Recycling Event" and then they provide a long list of things that we cannot bring to the event, without any instructions on where and when we can recycle items from the list. Not really helpful. Even items they do accept are limited in number and often come with an extra charge.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I will do it in 2 posts, and not one.  The Nassau or Bahamian Zoo was probably a treasure to the country 30 years ago, but it isn't flashy, it isn't fast, and it's never really advertised as an excursion.  It is however a precious spot that I hope will be there forever.

I chose it because our friends are not beach people.  We thought it would be a nice lazy kind of day, without all the rushing around, and we were right.  So here goes the second attempt.  Starting with a parrot, and two of the many peacocks who roam the grounds.

part two...the flamingos.  The original owner of the zoo fed them twice a day, he had quite a few to feed, and instead of leaving them behind in some type of cage, he fed them twice a day in front of a crowd.  

The flamingoes are held back stage like great actors, and stroll out right on time for the audience.  The audience sits in four bleachers, the flamingos circle the "stage" and then split up into 4 groups, one group in front of each bleacher.  And then someone from each section is invited to come down and be a flamingo.  There were only the 4 of us in the bleacher, and none of them wanted to do it, so I did.  I did not make a good flamingo,   and I hope that none of them took it personally.

We also went to the Nassau Zoo when we stopped in 2017 on the Disney Wonder. It was an add-on part of an historic tour. Loved the peaceful feeling on the grounds and the flamingo show was a highlight. They truly did come out like stars. Also loved the albino peacock. 

Our pictures are on a different device and not accessible at this time.

• Like 10

Just a quick note from me tonight.  Have been to Nassau twice, both on HAL!  First time on Rotterdam (1991) where it was fun.  Carnival Fantasy, Rotterdam, and USS Nashville (where my nephew was on) - Papa Bear. Mama Bear and Baby Bear in a row.  DH went to tour USS Nashville (not for me).  Second time, we were there we walked up (quite a ways) to a Fort!  Great view of the harbor and the town.

Crazy day for me, but I thank the Good Lord for every day that I have.  Went to Mass tonight as I had it said for DH.  Tomorrow would have been our 51st anniversary.  Miss him every day.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

I am looking at an aft Neptune next Jun and would like to hear from you how the motion/vibration is being aft.  The cabin would be on deck 5 not sure if it makes a difference.  This view looks amazing.   We have sailed in aft cabins several times (other cruiselines) so know what to expect. We are 1st time HAL cruisers.  How is the North Sea for cruising?  

Kathy 

The North Sea can be very calm but it can also be very rough especially when you get near Norway.

It is sunny and 12°C at 07.51am on the North East coast of England.

I hope everyone is well today.

Graham.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Just a quick note from me tonight.  Have been to Nassau twice, both on HAL!  First time on Rotterdam (1991) where it was fun.  Carnival Fantasy, Rotterdam, and USS Nashville (where my nephew was on) - Papa Bear. Mama Bear and Baby Bear in a row.  DH went to tour USS Nashville (not for me).  Second time, we were there we walked up (quite a ways) to a Fort!  Great view of the harbor and the town.

Crazy day for me, but I thank the Good Lord for every day that I have.  Went to Mass tonight as I had it said for DH.  Tomorrow would have been our 51st anniversary.  Miss him every day.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary Kay

Sending you our thoughts, prayers 🙏 and love Mary Kay on your 51st anniversary.

G&Pxx

• Like 3