Wifi Satellite issue on Magic?

callmebetty

Setting sail on 8/22 on the Magic. I got an email last night saying there is a satellite issue and wifi packages will be refunded as sign and sail credit, but you can purchase at a discount each day. I haven't been on Carnival in 15 years. Does this mean a visit to the wifi desk every day?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Sounds like they need IT repairs on their user management server. Not sure how they can offer day by day purchases while not allowing packages.

If there were a "satellite issue" service would be unavailable entirely.

Screenshot_20220820-085828.png

We got the same email regarding our Legend cruise. Both the Legend and the Magic are doing similar itineraries during the same two weeks from the northeast,  so maybe it is a satellite coverage issue.😎

24 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Sounds like they need IT repairs on their user management server. Not sure how they can offer day by day purchases while not allowing packages.

If there were a "satellite issue" service would be unavailable entirely.

Maybe they will receive limited, sparodic coverage, that may vary day to day depending on the ship's location. That's why they aren't offering packages, but will allow day by day access depending on service. To the OP, you log in directly from your device, there is no Internet desk.😎

• Like 1

My guess,  and I'm no expert, is that  the satellite that they lock onto when cruising the mid atlantic will be offline for whatever reason. I wouldn't be surprised if satellite TV is also affected, meaning disruption in cabins and sports bar. Those who have cruised to Hawaii and done a trans Pacific cruise would understand. There are "dead" spots out there!

Basically forget about it, Carnival’s WIFI is slow as heck even with Premium so it being sporadically it going to suck even more. 

Bring your Starlink with you and Connect it up on deck.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred

1 minute ago, jerseyjjs said:

I sail in September for Canada and there's no such advisory for my cruise.  I can still purchase all 3 levels of wifi services as usual.

It appears to be only the last two sailings in August for both ships which are doing Eastern Caribbean and Bermuda sailings. Cruises heading north are not affected.

• Like 1

I'm blaming sunspots. Or maybe Elon's last launch.

You would just purchase a daily plan from your device. If you were on the later cruises, I don't know why you couldn't purchase a lower tier plan in advance, but maybe they are selling at the same price on a daily basis on the ship.

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:23 AM, callmebetty said:

Setting sail on 8/22 on the Magic. I got an email last night saying there is a satellite issue and wifi packages will be refunded as sign and sail credit, but you can purchase at a discount each day. I haven't been on Carnival in 15 years. Does this mean a visit to the wifi desk every day?

Since no one seemed to answer your question, I will.  You purchase wifi service through the HUB app, so no visits anywhere. 

Wifi desk?? 🤫 Never heard of one.

On 8/20/2022 at 9:08 AM, Jamman54 said:

Maybe they will receive limited, sparodic coverage, that may vary day to day depending on the ship's location. That's why they aren't offering packages, but will allow day by day access depending on service. To the OP, you log in directly from your device, there is no Internet desk.😎

1 minute ago, Schoifmom said:

Since no one seemed to answer your question, I will.  You purchase wifi service through the HUB app, so no visits anywhere. 

Wifi desk?? 🤫 Never heard of one.

Jamman answered OP's question.