Transatlantic Cruises?

cheeseheads4ever

Hello fellow cruisers!

I need some help. I do not fly by airplane anywhere just a phobia thing. My DW and I want to go to Europe or Mediterranean by cruise ship and come back into same port in Florida.  We’ve been all over the Caribbean and want to try something else that I don’t have to fly to. Does Celebrity or any other  cruise line do this.

I don’t want to do a 100 day tour…but something less of course.

Maybe I’m asking for something that doesn’t exist. Any help would be appreciated…remember I can’t get there or back by air.  I don’t row a boat well either…

thanks!

Well, I'm no expert but I think the only way to do this is to take an east-bound TA to Europe on a cruise line, then come back on Cunard. But I don't think Cunard ports in Florida. I'm sure there are others who can help more.

good luck.

Edited by NoWhiners
typos
  • Like 2

You can go from FL or return from FL using a fall or spring repositioning cruise. Then going the other way you most likely will have to take Cunard to or from the UK connecting through NY. Then train or rental car travel for NY FL part of trip.

Other alternative is to travel to NY or Boston and take HAL 35 day RT to Europe they usually run in July or August.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

Cunard is a great option. We did it once when the timing worked for in conjunction with other cruises. We liked it enough that we booked another cruise.

It is a great option. Do you still have to "dress" for dinner every night? I think I've read that dress is formal in their MDR every night? Not sure if they offer a buffet for more casual dining?

14 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

It is a great option. Do you still have to "dress" for dinner every night? I think I've read that dress is formal in their MDR every night? Not sure if they offer a buffet for more casual dining?

Several nights, but not every nights.  EM

1 hour ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Hello fellow cruisers!

I need some help. I do not fly by airplane anywhere just a phobia thing. My DW and I want to go to Europe or Mediterranean by cruise ship and come back into same port in Florida.  We’ve been all over the Caribbean and want to try something else that I don’t have to fly to. Does Celebrity or any other  cruise line do this.

Maybe I’m asking for something that doesn’t exist. Any help would be appreciated…remember I can’t get there or back by air.  I don’t row a boat well either…

thanks!

Cheese - I am taking the Celebrity Constellation back from Rome in October to Tampa. A lot of folks do Transatlantic voyages. This is only my 4th cruise, so I'm no expert, but you can definitely do it. I'm flying to Italy and then coming back on the ship.

The issue is timing - for instance the Connie, the ship I'm taking back, went to Europe several months ago - if you wanted to be in Europe for a while you could take the same ship there and back. Some times different lines will go at different times or several boats from a line might be on a different schedule.

In my roll call for the trip I'm taking it seems a lot of folks like doing transatlantic cruises. THere is a whole Special Interest board for "Transatlantic, Transpacific, Repositioning & Trans-Ocean Cruises" so I'm sure you could get good info there.

2 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Hello fellow cruisers!

thanks!

You could take the train around Europe and probably return via Cunard into NY and then the train home.

4 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Well, I'm no expert but I think the only way to do this is to take an east-bound TA to Europe on a cruise line, then come back on Cunard. But I don't think Cunard ports in Florida. I'm sure there are others who can help more.

good luck.

That would work. Back into New York and Amtrak down to Florida.

The other option is to book passage on a cargo ship making the transatlantic crossing, either going to Europe with a repositioning cruise coming back, or vice versa. I have never done this, but have heard of others doing so. The cargo ship is definitely not a cruise ship experience, but does appear to be very nice. If you are interested, an Internet search will turn up lots of useful information.

Personally, I recommend Cunard for one leg. I have done the UK to NY crossing many times - for a few years, I taught classes in the UK and Ireland with Queen Mary 2 being my ride home. Currently, it appears that there are two formal nights per seven-night TA, but there are also options for dinner that do not require formal attire on those nights (e.g., buffet or the pub). It truly adds to the experience to do the “dress-up” though, because everything feels different when all are formally attired. Plus, the dining room menus are much more elaborate on formal evenings. Doesn’t have to be over the top in terms of dress. For men, a dark suit and tie is sufficient and would not be underdressed. The Cunard Web site has a description and the Cunard board on Cruise Critic a rather thorough discussion. (By the way, ignore the snobs that sometimes show up on the Cunard board. You’ll never meet them on board.)

To cruise both ways, not during the hot, crowded summer months, click here for availability of eastbound TAs in September 2023 as shown on Cruisetimetables.com.  The one below on Cunard sails from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona.

image.png.bd155c74eeaf914ff7d55f2373fb3285.png

After arrival in Barcelona you can travel Europe by train...not to be compared to train travel in the US. Trains in Europe run on time, are clean, and are a very pleasant experience.

For your return you'll find there are plenty of westbound TAs during October, November, and December embarking in Barcelona, Rome, and others.

• Like 2

It can be done, but I have only ever seen it on NCL and only to/from NYC. For example:

NCL Sun New York to Lisbon November 3, 2022 18days

NCL Epic Lisbon to New York December 7, 2022 9 days 

I believe HAL also has a long cruise that leaves and returns from Boston, but that doesn’t give you any land time in Europe. 

Edited by RosieRoo

Oh how I wish I were retired and could do this! Maybe in a few years.

Here is an option for next year. Carnival Freedom is going to Europe for a dry dock, presumably to fix the funnel that burned earlier this year, then returning to Port Canaveral two weeks later. I know this is the Celebrity board, but don't dismiss Carnival out of hand. Two week transatlantic cruises will not attract the party crowd, I assure you. We just came back from a Northern Europe on Carnival Pride, and it was wonderful.

1888090092_ScreenShot2022-08-22at10_23_10AM.thumb.png.6fb2f98ced95d69202e05463c8b0c0e0.png

4 hours ago, -Lew- said:

To cruise both ways, not during the hot, crowded summer months, click here for availability of eastbound TAs in September 2023 as shown on Cruisetimetables.com.  The one below on Cunard sails from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona.

image.png.bd155c74eeaf914ff7d55f2373fb3285.png

After arrival in Barcelona you can travel Europe by train...not to be compared to train travel in the US. Trains in Europe run on time, are clean, and are a very pleasant experience.

For your return you'll find there are plenty of westbound TAs during October, November, and December embarking in Barcelona, Rome, and others.

Don't knock Amtrak. We have done Seattle to New York, Boston/Chicago/Dallas and Miami to New York. Wonderful experiences. Book early for a sleeper not a roomette which is very small. The meals are included in the sleeper/roomette prices. Great food and as the boss (Anita) will tell you the best steak she ever had was on Amtrak.

If you look at Holland America you may well find a round trip option.  Right now they have a 25 day Boston to Boston which tours through Iceland & Greenland.  Also a 35 day again out of Boston, that takes you again to Iceland, but also to Norway, Ireland and Rotterdam.  But, you would have to get to Boston of course. 

Celebrity/Royal/Princess do not offer round trips like this.