Live from the Venture Iceland/Greenland

PACruiser5

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

PACruiser5 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

For others onboard, please chime in! It’s the second full day onboard. Big corporate contingent from HQ including the big boss Josh Liebowitz himself. Glad to see they are experiencing the product firsthand. Josh and a few others from the leadership team were on our excursion to Vigur Island this morning. Dressed like everyone else trying to blend in. So far we are enjoying the ship, small things that could be improved but in the big picture it is fantastic. Will post more later but here is a photo from night one. 

9107508A-3344-4D77-AE74-235CCE423EC4.jpeg

• Like 13

This is an expedition cruise, we departed Reykjavik on August 21, quick note for ports where there is more than one docking option. Our boarding pass listed one, the ship was actually at the other one. We went for a walk that morning and happened to see it which saved us some time and aggravation. Pre cruise communication could be better…. We flew to Reykjavik a few days early to see some of the city and the area around it.  Did a small group Golden Circle tour, which was great despite winds that were hard to even stand
up in. Wish I had had the Parka we would get on the ship! For those packing for similar itineraries- it is frequently windy, sometimes along with rain and feels comfortable Oder than the actual temp. A few pics from the golden circle and Reykjavik. 

4A4B92F5-B747-4115-8086-C09EEA4AFF75.jpeg

9B71556E-5DDB-46BE-8D93-0181E82CF163.jpeg

D16DF7DD-31AB-4533-97C5-7B17AC35F53E.jpeg

F3BBBA5A-188B-402C-AF03-44AAFBD13C45.jpeg

D8E4B313-40D5-4492-8952-6B3682398770.jpeg

2E3BE22D-809C-454D-B1FC-B518F597F8DD.jpeg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, PACruiser5 said:

For those packing for similar itineraries- it is frequently windy, sometimes along with rain

When I visited the area where the tectonic plates divide and walking through that cut, it was raining hard and the wind was so strong that it was blowing the rain horizontally.  It was difficult to really appreciate where I was and what I was seeing.  (Having windshield wipers on my glasses would have helped.  Maybe.)  

How is the cuisine on Venture.  I recognize that you may not be center on food on an expedition cruise, but having heard very little about the restaurant choices and the experience with the food that others are having, I am curious.  

8 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Hey PA, great pics.

Where did they land you on Snaefellsnes?  Did they bus you to those spots?  Thanks.

Looks like you're doing Scoresbysund and King Oscar.  Jackpot!!!

Grundafjordur perhaps?

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

SLDS, Look at the menus in Post 85 of the Kenthecruiser thread on the Venture.   They look pretty appealing.

I'm not referring to menus, but how the food tastes and how the service is going in the dining room(s_).  I read a comment in a SB Facebook group that said that the service was terrible in the MDR.  I recognize that not everyone see things the same way: thus, my question here.  

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

I'm not referring to menus, but how the food tastes and how the service is going in the dining room(s_).  I read a comment in a SB Facebook group that said that the service was terrible in the MDR.  I recognize that not everyone see things the same way: thus, my question here.  

@SLSD

Will do a recap in next few days.  In general thought they did a pretty decent job with food. Never had any trouble with service. Fyi, There were a few pretty big entitled complainers on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@SLSD

Will do a recap in next few days.  In general thought they did a pretty decent job with food. Never had any trouble with service. Fyi, There were a few pretty big entitled complainers on board.

I thought that might be the case.  

• Like 1

FWIW, I thought the passenger make up was excellent except for a chosen few. A great mix of seasoned veterans who didn't need to brag about everyplace they have been to and some 'happy to be here' newbies. Folks generally closed ranks around staff when the unrulies acted up. One woman always insisted on being at the front of the zodiac, complained about the speed, insisted on returning to the ship because she needed to pee. When she put her feet up on the drinks ledge behind me, dirty looks got them down. They must have done quite well selling their trailer park.   One man berated staff because Sub tours were full, insisted HE should have a spot. Bizarre.

We had fantasy plots of chucking them overboard. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

FWIW, I thought the passenger make up was excellent except for a chosen few. A great mix of seasoned veterans who didn't need to brag about everyplace they have been to and some 'happy to be here' newbies. Folks generally closed ranks around staff when the unrulies acted up. One woman always insisted on being at the front of the zodiac, complained about the speed, insisted on returning to the ship because she needed to pee. When she put her feet up on the drinks ledge behind me, dirty looks got them down. They must have done quite well selling their trailer park.   One man berated staff because Sub tours were full, insisted HE should have a spot. Bizarre.

We had fantasy plots of chucking them overboard. 😃

Good for you and others recognizing these people for who they are.  We have only encountered a few of these people on SB.  I remember a group of four or five who were rude to our tour guide in St. Petersburg and always wanted to end an excursion early when the rest of us were enjoying ourselves.  So, I can just picture what you are talking about.  

• Like 1

Yes to Grundafjordur as the dock for Snaefellednes peninsula. Please excuse all spelling of location names. Even if I get it right autocorrect does weird stuff… 

people onboard quite friendly, far more so than our last silversea cruise, but could be small size of ship and the expedition experience is different. A lot of seasoned folks, some newbies onboard. 
A few service slips, but any we noticed have improved. The group of 9 that complained on FB, well that happens. But that does not seem the norm. 
Weather has been fantastic, Greenland fjords amazing. The expedition crew is great. A few adjustments based on conditions. Like a polar bear, but that ended up being a great time. They re do plans on the fly which is not easy! Added a landing today and a long hike for those interested which was spectacular. A few pics: 

834A7200-97C2-45E6-8749-46263E85E71F.jpeg

D0715B42-9D7F-4A6C-ACD4-F6EED86E4E11.jpeg

133DACF1-C858-4155-9703-A3A9998EE820.jpeg

0C047F91-E040-4442-A26B-B34BC1502617.jpeg

AEA3F352-BCC4-4656-9762-DFD3286356A1.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We are coming out of the Greenland fjords heading back to Iceland. Weather has cleared and we had a fantastic morning zodiac touring and sea kayaking. Both fantastic. Trying to give Seabourn the benefit of the doubt on food. But thus far it’s good, not awesome. Right now I give them 3rd place behind Oceania  and Silversea. SB regulars said

you have  to try Market Square night in the Colanade, fantastic international buffet. Meh, ok, but not sure we didn’t have as good on Princess ages ago. Which with top brass on board does not give me hope that it’s a small, new ship thing. Restaurant has been good so far, but not totally impressed. the locations on the itinerary and the expedition stuff has been first rate. Will post more when I can.

C355BBFA-9B39-443B-9A77-A11DEAFFA319.jpeg

4E1768E6-5BFA-4381-ADB3-E2DB853DAB83.jpeg

BEF87A75-D6E0-47F8-A8C7-1E167929A04A.jpeg

• Like 2

We boarded on 9/4 and have had wonderful weather.   We had the northern lights actually dancing in the sky on 9/4 and 9/5.    The expedition leader, Juan, alerts you when they appear (midnight and 2:30 AM but it was worth it to see them on deck.   Whales were sighted this morning.  Service onboard is fine and the food is typical Seabourn.   We had the smoothest boarding ever.   About 18 of us satin the boarding room and a gentleman came around with an IPAD and checked all of our documents.   Once checked we were given a slip of paper and were cleared to board.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 9:46 AM, PACruiser5 said:

Weather has been fantastic, Greenland fjords amazing. The expedition crew is great. A few adjustments based on conditions. Like a polar bear, but that ended up being a great time. They re do plans on the fly which is not easy! Added a landing today and a long hike for those interested which was spectacular. A few pics: 

133DACF1-C858-4155-9703-A3A9998EE820.jpeg

Amazing great photo! How close were you physically to that beautiful polar bear   ?  If you don't mind sharing, what type if camera & lens did you use for that shot?

My Svalbard bear photos from July are nowhere as good so I need to upgrade to better gear. 

Iceland is my favorite Arctic destination but Greenland is a very close second- both spectacular and unique!  

Thanks for posting!!