WiFi calling/texting aboard ship (Mariner)

18 minutes ago, VegasVic14 said:

Is it possible to do this, primarily for texting, using the ship's WiFi system without purchasing Voom? 

No, you need a VOOM package for texts to go through out bound - you may luck into some traffic leaking through inbound without a package, but don’t count on it. 

• Like 1

As Biker said, you need an internet package.  Wifi texting is also dependent on your provider and/or your messaging app.  I was able to do it using Verizon and their message+ app.  It would not work over standard sms.

49 minutes ago, badvector said:

As Biker said, you need an internet package.  Wifi texting is also dependent on your provider and/or your messaging app.  I was able to do it using Verizon and their message+ app.  It would not work over standard sms.

I have Verizon and am able to use the standard Android SMS texting app.

The only thing that doesn't work for me is downloading voicemails.  I can get calls and I can get texts, but I have to be connected to the cell signal to get my voicemails downloaded to my phone.

7 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

You need Voom. I have done it and it works great.  I have AT&T service.

Same here, had no issues doing any normal WiFi activities on my IPhone last month on the Navigator.  It was slow if I tried to text photos, and videos were impossible, but otherwise calling, texting, and even Facetime worked fine.  

I had a lengthy WiFi calls in July on Mariner with Surf and Stream.  Also watched an hour long webinar with only one buffering moment.  

I know people have grown accustomed to expect more but I'm not seeing a lot different from pre-pandemic on older ships.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:13 AM, VegasVic14 said:

Is it possible to do this, primarily for texting, using the ship's WiFi system without purchasing Voom? (Yes, I know about RCI chat for $1.99 pp/pday).

OK it has been a while since we have cruised...  What is RCI chat??

30 minutes ago, AZ Squirrel said:

OK it has been a while since we have cruised...  What is RCI chat??

A feature available for purchase in the new Royal app.  Works with other guests onboard who have also paid the fee.  Does not work off the ship to folks on land.

• Like 1