Does HAL permanently sail out of San Diego?

zhuangcorp

This year Koningsdam has a handful of cruises out of San Diego. I'm new to the cruising scene, but is San Diego a permanent fixture for HAL?

I'm sure places like Seattle, Vancouver, Miami are considered permanent bases for their cruises to Alaska and Caribbean. 

So is San Diego also a permanent base? or is it more of a one-off just this year?

Holland America typically operates 2, sometimes 3, ships from San Diego from October to around May 1. So, more or less permanent. 

HAL doesn't sail from Miami. HAL operates out of Ft Lauderdale in roughly the same time frame it operates from San Diego. 

• Like 1

Of all the embarkation ports I've been to, San Diego is my favorite.  So easy, and so much to do within walking distance of the terminal.  Worth the cross country flight.  

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

Of all the embarkation ports I've been to, San Diego is my favorite.  So easy, and so much to do within walking distance of the terminal.  Worth the cross country flight.  

Agree. Very easy to use for cruising, and, at least for me, a few times on business, and a few times on non-cruise pleasure trips.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lstrong said:

Hopefully HAL will continue to cruise out of San Diego!   Just wish they’d add more 10 day cruises to La Paz, Loreto, etc

We booked the 10 day to LaPaz and Loreto for March 25, 2023. It’s a great itinerary. Much better than Princess out of San Francisco, which is our home port. We love sailing from San Diego. We always stay for a couple of days pre cruise to enjoy the city. 
Denise

• Like 4

On 8/23/2022 at 3:03 PM, zhuangcorp said:

This year Koningsdam has a handful of cruises out of San Diego. I'm new to the cruising scene, but is San Diego a permanent fixture for HAL?

I'm sure places like Seattle, Vancouver, Miami are considered permanent bases for their cruises to Alaska and Caribbean. 

So is San Diego also a permanent base? or is it more of a one-off just this year?

San Diego has the best west coast sail-away scenery for me, since I'm a naval history buff and there are plenty of navy ships plus the USS Midway is practically next to the cruise ship.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, lstrong said:

Hopefully HAL will continue to cruise out of San Diego!   Just wish they’d add more 10 day cruises to La Paz, Loreto, etc

Our first cruise back after shut down is 9-day Sea of Cortez B2B with a repeat of Mexican Riviera. Although we live in SE Utah it seems our home-port is now San Diego!

• Like 3

On 8/24/2022 at 11:24 PM, JesseLivermore said:

Better  drive from AZ too. vs Long Beach traffic too.

Agree.  We go to San Diego often, but December will only be our 2nd cruise from there.  Love the convenience and things to do! We are actually driving there as well for our December cruise and have a place to keep our SUV so we don't have to pay for parking!  We have done Long Beach 3 times, and don't care for that port at all.

Edited by DENIE
clarification
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DENIE said:

Agree.  We go to San Diego often, but December will only be our 2nd cruise from there.  Love the convenience and things to do! We are actually driving there as well for our December cruise and have a place to keep our SUV so we don't have to pay for parking!  We have done Long Beach 3 times, and don't care for that port at all.

free parking?

1 hour ago, JesseLivermore said:

interesting. HAL seem to have the lowest rates  compared to other liners too, esp w/ kids free.

Hmmm....others wonder why HAL is higher than many other cruise lines in certain markets. Its not possible for the average person to compare all the rates across all the cruise lines and markets.

1 hour ago, JesseLivermore said:

free parking?

Well, we are lucky there. Our San Diego friends have a boat in the Marriott Marina downtown, and that comes with a parking space at the hotel (we stay on the boat often).  They don't need the space since they are on the cruise with us.  Kind of a unique circumstance but works for us in this instance! 😁

12 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Couldn't you also just park in some random neighborhood and catch a Uber to the cruise terminal?

For a week or more? That would invite a ticket at minimum. If the neighbors are paying attention. Perhaps worse.

Anywhere near downtown San Diego, parking is pretty limited.

24 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Couldn't you also just park in some random neighborhood and catch a Uber to the cruise terminal?

You can’t  park on any street in San Diego for more than 72 hours. You may be ticketed or towed. The city of San Diego is very large, not just the downtown area.

Edited by sandiego1