Annual medical only insurance: Geoblue or Allianz?

fstuff1

12 minutes ago, Roz said:

@GeezerCouple, Geo Blue is who refers to Medicare supplements as primary, not me.  I think they want you to have other medical insurance, not just a travel policy.  I can't imagine the retirement plan for TN state employees only has $50,000 lifetime benefits, so now I AM totally confused.  

Where would I find travel medical insurance that's primary for older people?

I think the confusion here might be two different uses of the word primary.  Geo Blue requires you have a primary health plan; . ..  in order to be eligible to purchase their plan.  That is one use of the word primary. I wished they used a different term. To me, this is just the regular health insurance you have at home. Most plans qualify, but there are exceptions. You qualify, so no worries. And yes, what you say is exactly correct "I think they want you to have other medical insurance, not just a travel policy."

When people refer to primary or secondary travel insurance on this forum they are usually referring to who pays first when you have a claim. If you purchase primary travel insurance, then you submit your claims directly to the travel insurance company, and any other insurance you have does not matter.  If you have secondary travel insurance, it will only pay whatever is left over after filing with Medicare and your TN retiree policy.

I also recommend calling trip insurance store as they will be extremely helpful navigating you through this.  Before you do that, you should find out exactly what is covered on the TN policy.  Your benefits people should be able to help.  It might also be helpful to have a PDF summary of benefits available for trip insurance store if there is any question regarding your coverage.  Good luck and let us know what you eventually decide and why.  

• Like 1

So.....I checked my Medicare supplement and it says "Foreign Travel Emergency Emergency care beginning during first 60 days of trip outside USA (after $250 deductible, benefits limited to $50,000/lifetime)".  Covered at 80%.  

I was very surprised at the $50,000 lifetime limit, but maybe that's standard.  Glad I found this out now.

Edited by Roz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

So.....I checked my Medicare supplement and it says "Foreign Travel Emergency Emergency care beginning during first 60 days of trip outside USA (after $250 deductible, benefits limited to $50,000/lifetime)".  Covered at 80%.  

I was very surprised at the $50,000 lifetime limit, but maybe that's standard.  Glad I found this out now.

You are in exactly the same situation we are in.  GeoBlue Trekker is a great choice.  If you have any claims, just file with GeoBlue and they will be the primary payor.  So you will not have to touch any of your $50k lifetime maximum.  If you read the fine print, GeoBlue has the right to coordinate benefits with your other insurance, but Steve at trip insurance store has never seen that happen.  Others with big claims have reported the same.

While I believe everything I have said is accurate, don't trust me.  Still call trip insurance store and speak to the professionals.  If we missed something here, they will most likely catch it.  If you elect to go with GeoBlue Trekker, you can hold off the actual purchase until you get closer to your first trip.  You don't have to put it into effect until the date of your first trip.  You are already much better prepared than 99% of people looking to purchase trip insurance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at GEO Blue Trekker annual policy, but there isn't much info at all once you get the price and it says "apply". I'm looking for the best travel medical and evacuation coverage, and the least amount of "look back", since doctors are so good at changing prescriptions.  

We consider all trip costs as self insured. Our primary medical insurance is Medicare.

9 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

Looking at GEO Blue Trekker annual policy, but there isn't much info at all once you get the price and it says "apply". I'm looking for the best travel medical and evacuation coverage, and the least amount of "look back", since doctors are so good at changing prescriptions.  

We consider all trip costs as self insured. Our primary medical insurance is Medicare.

The Trekker plans are the best ones I have found for those that qualify.  You have a "primary health plan", so unless you live in one of a few states you should be eligible. The plans cover pre-existing conditions with no lookback period.  You can find a link to a PDF copy of the choice policy at: https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-5-overview.cfm. The essential policy page has a PDF link as well.  As many others have recommended, you might want to call TripInsuranceStore.com.  They can answer any questions and sell you the policy if you decide to purchase.  The cost is the same, no matter where you buy it.

This is what the link looks like:

image.png.af9815783dbca8f2236edd82f942e5d4.png

Edited by Jersey42

12 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

2 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

As many others have recommended, you might want to call TripInsuranceStore.com. 

They can answer any questions and sell you the policy if you decide to purchase.  The cost is the same, no matter where you buy it.

i asked TripInsuranceStore if Geoblue covers Medivac off a cruise ship?

their rep Deanna copy/pastes Geoblue's policy back to me via email.

W T F? 

That's of no help to me at all

Edited by fstuff1

20 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

W T F? 

You don’t need insurance to pay for air/sea rescue because that service is provided by the Coast Guard or military equivalent from the nearest country capable of providing it. They are the ones with the equipment and skilled personnel to perform such a maneuver.

There is no cost. It is part of their mission to aid ships at sea. Your cost begins when the helicopter touches down. Travel insurance covers transportation and care from that point.

If air/sea rescue is not available, the ship diverts to the nearest port to disembark the patient.

2 minutes ago, Babr said:

You don’t need insurance to pay for air/sea rescue because that service is provided by the Coast Guard or military equivalent from the nearest country capable of providing it. They are the ones with the equipment and skilled personnel to perform such a maneuver.

There is no cost. It is part of their mission to aid ships at sea. Your cost begins when the helicopter touches down. Travel insurance covers transportation and care from that point.

If air/sea rescue is not available, the ship diverts to the nearest port to disembark the patient.

i know US  coast guard wont charge for medivac rescue. 

but bahamas or bermuda wont charge me for medivac???

2 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

i know US  coast guard wont charge for medivac rescue. 

but bahamas or bermuda wont charge me for medivac???

To my knowledge, it is a service provided by any country capable of providing it. If it is not a available, then you are disembarked at the first opportunity.

6 minutes ago, Babr said:

To my knowledge, it is a service provided by any country capable of providing it. If it is not a available, then you are disembarked at the first opportunity.

then why do i keep hearing that medivac outside of US waters costs $10k+?

baseless rumor that keeps spreading?

Just now, fstuff1 said:

That wouldn't be "off the ship".

That would be to transfer someone to a different hospital, perhaps one with better care, or one closer to home.  That's not an "emergency" (usually, anyway).  That's done only once the patient is stable enough to be moved.

Regular travel insurers usually include that (but CHECK!) but only **IF** it is medically *necessary*,

And that's up to the local medical staff and the insurance folks.

If you want control of that, ask about MedJetAssist, which is a separate policy.  You can probably do a search here on CC; it's been discussed a lot.

GC

3 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Medical evacuation in a travel insurance policy refers to transportation from one hospital to another if you need a higher level of care. First you are transported to the nearest appropriate facility, but if the attending doctors determine that they do not have the training, equipment, or facilities to treat your case, the insurance company will arrange for you to be transported to another hospital. Some policies allow for the hospital of choice. In any case, if you require medical transport in an air ambulance with attending medical personnel, it can be quite expensive.

Most often, the patient is treated locally and is flown home by commercial air when recovered.

56 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

W T F? 

Hi fstuff1,

I asked Deanna and she sent you that information because no policies tell you all the places where the transports can originate from. She thought it was best for you to see what the policy said.

Steve Dasseos

On 10/3/2022 at 12:47 PM, fstuff1 said:

You hear that because it is true :).  In some cases, the cost can actually exceed $100,000 when one needs air evacuation from some parts of the world that do not have adequate medical facilities/care to handle a medical emergency.

Even in a case when evacuation can be done by commercial aviation, the cost can be quite high.  When DW was injured in Asia and needed to be flown home in a lay flat seat, a one-way last-minute fare on Delta was $10,000.  And that did not include my cost.

Hank

• 1 year later...
On 10/3/2022 at 1:12 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi fstuff1,

I asked Deanna and she sent you that information because no policies tell you all the places where the transports can originate from. She thought it was best for you to see what the policy said.

Steve Dasseos

so does Geoblue trekker cover us? We have medjethorizon which would work from a hospital (but not the cruise ship) and Allianz annual premier for medical. But unfortunately I did not purchase it within 14 days of one of our trips so am concerned about preexisting conditions and getting off the ship…