Northern Cape: Queen Victoria or HAL Rotterdam?

carolina_yankee

Cross-posting in HAL forum for their thoughts.

For those who have sailed both ships or both lines, what are your thoughts for a Northern Cape cruise in June or July? There are some port differentials but we would be OK with either itinerary, I think. I posted those questions in the ports section.

We can book QV Britannia balcony for significantly less than Rotterdam verandah, plus some cost savings flying to England instead of Amsterdam. We are aware of the Cunard traditions and think it would be fun giving that a try, but QV has gotten some mixed reviews lately. Both itineraries have five sea days, so ship experience does make a difference. We are self-entertaining, but like nice environments.

I should add we are a gay couple, 58 and 71 at time of cruise. While we are young at heart, we are not party/club types!

Any thoughts?

I've only been on Eurodam and that was 11 years ago so I'm not sure how helpful this will be but -

Cunard is more British and more formal

Still has fixed dinner sittings

If you're OK with both those I'd be tempted to try Cunard.

• Like 1

I wouldn't take too much notice of the negative reviews. Some of the negative points I have noticed on Cunard reviews are ridiculously trivial, and some pretty near inaccurate. I admit my most recent experience has been of QM2, however. QV has elegant serene interiors, a wealth of non-intrusive live music, and, often, interesting lectures.

Edited by exlondoner

Well, both HAL and Cunard forums encourage trying Cunard! I remember attending a performance of Les Miz with my partner in Raleigh in a tux while hearing a woman jab her husband and say, “Why can’t you dress like that?” We can have fun. 

I appreciate the advice on the reviews, too. I can often tell when people are just being too picky, but sometimes it’s hard to know for sure.

Two questions: Are times still fixed for Brittania Balcony? I thought I saw somewhere that standard Brittania could also get fixed dining? If fixed are the only options, what are the times and the atmosphere like at each?

And, are jackets required on non-gala nights? We’re fine if they are, just want to know how to plan with limited luggage.

Oh, and a final question - flying from EWR to LHR in either premium economy or business class - would Cunard Air get a good price?  United is our airline of choice.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolina_yankee said:

Well, both HAL and Cunard forums encourage trying Cunard! I remember attending a performance of Les Miz with my partner in Raleigh in a tux while hearing a woman jab her husband and say, “Why can’t you dress like that?” We can have fun. 

I appreciate the advice on the reviews, too. I can often tell when people are just being too picky, but sometimes it’s hard to know for sure.

Two questions: Are times still fixed for Brittania Balcony? I thought I saw somewhere that standard Brittania could also get fixed dining? If fixed are the only options, what are the times and the atmosphere like at each?

I have heard that the QE & QV are currently doing traditional assigned table & time for dinner seatings [early and late seatings].  I am hoping that QM2 returns to assigned tables for the late seating.

We prefer the late seating so there is more time between lunch or tea and dinner. For a port intensive sailing it takes the pressure off getting ready for dinner after a late arrival shore excursion.

We may be missing a couple of our normal late dinners on our Northern Lights sailings in Tromso for an Arctic Cathedral concert & a Northern Lights chase on the two nights we will be in port.

And, are jackets required on non-gala nights? We’re fine if they are, just want to know how to plan with limited luggage.

From my reading here on 'smart attire' nights only a collared shirt is required [I would call that informal]

Oh, and a final question - flying from EWR to LHR in either premium economy or business class - would Cunard Air get a good price?  United is our airline of choice.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Thanks for the tip on the concert in the Arctic Cathedral. That is an absolute must for us. I prefer dining around 7 or 7:30, but on ships that can conflict with both shows, and if we have an early excursion the next morning, we could just dine in the buffet if we needed to. I don’t mind being up late, but I don’t like to have big meals just before bed.

I can definitely see wanting the time to relax, change, and be ready for dinner, though, when it’s so classy.

So, Cunard it is!

Edited by carolina_yankee
  • Like 3