HAL. Is it different now??

LocoLoco1

Masks are at the discretion of the Captain, depending on conditions on the ship. Most ships seem to be masking.

The ships aren't full,  and staffing isn't back to full, although we haven't seen any problems with the number of staff. 

There was dancing on our ship last month.

We most definitely had fun. It was one of our best cruises ever (out of 25).

• Like 2

T/A's generally won't be crowded in any case. If the T/A is originating from Europe, there may be a larger proportion of passengers who won't mask if it's optional. But still something between the good old days and "caution mode".

I was on the Rotterdam last week out of Rotterdam (departed August 14). The ship was completely sold out with over 2600+ passengers on board. Very few passengers wore a mask. Service was excellent and they said they were fully staffed for the cruise.

• Like 3

Just off the VoV a few weeks ago so its really a T/A both ways. Masks were not required initially but many people still wore them (Crew required) and then COVID cases with about 200 out of 1100 passengers so masks were required most of the trip until cases went down about a week at the end (many people don't get tested, just like to cough, for fear of quarantine, We ended up in quarantine for 6 days. The decision to mask supposedly is Captain and Medical but Captain said it was CCL Corp directive in this case. We were about 80% capacity so they ran out of quarantine rooms and people quarantined in their cabins, but VoV is a popular cruise.  Ship had many crew down with COVID as well and were moving crew around to cover open positions (and training). 

• Thanks 2

Thank-you all. Not what I was hoping for. Time to walk around a Mall or two and thus get Quad-ruple vax’d before cruising. Our March 2022  15/day cruise while masked was truly miserable. Felt like prisoners at sea. 

Masking on a cruise sucks, no question.  But don't think that vaxxing and boosting multiple times is really going to protect you.  There are lots of reports here (anecdotal, of course) of folks like that who caught COVID and had to quarantine on their cruises.

8 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

Masking on a cruise sucks, no question.  But don't think that vaxxing and boosting multiple times is really going to protect you.  There are lots of reports here (anecdotal, of course) of folks like that who caught COVID and had to quarantine on their cruises.

Thanks for your reply. It’s becoming clearer to me by the week that cruising is changing. Too bad if cruiselines have seemingly cut onboard activities/staff for financial reasons, as that doesn’t inspire me.  I’m pleased I can still cruise, just not as pleased as I used to be. A return to the good old days of Limbo Nights with the Officers and free unlimited Lobster in the MDR?? Probably just wishful thinking on my part. I love being at sea nonetheless. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Too bad if cruiselines have seemingly cut onboard activities/staff for financial reasons, as that doesn’t inspire me.

I think this is simply economics.  The cruise lines haven’t tremendously raised prices (2019-2022) if you compare their fares to other inflation such as in food and energy.  They are making a decision that their customers rather forego certain activities rather than pay more.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

T/A's generally won't be crowded in any case. If the T/A is originating from Europe, there may be a larger proportion of passengers who won't mask if it's optional. But still something between the good old days and "caution mode".

I’ve been on a number of transatlantics & will be on another one in November.  They were sold out and our upcoming cruise is nearly sold out from what I understand.

Never count on them not being full.  It hasn’t been my experience - most of my sailings were on the Prinsendam but also N Amsterdam & Rotterdam for reference purposes.

Replies and comments here seem to strongly suggest that as of late the HAL experience has been diluted, ie the advertised Cadillac is looking suspiciously like a Chevy. But what’s the alternative, book Pinnacle Dining & Suites? HAL go to 1stClass/2nd Class ala Cunard?? Probably. 

5 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Replies and comments here seem to strongly suggest that as of late the HAL experience has been diluted, ie the advertised Cadillac is looking suspiciously like a Chevy. But what’s the alternative, book Pinnacle Dining & Suites? HAL go to 1stClass/2nd Class ala Cunard?? Probably. 

It depends on what amenities and entertainment one wants.  Having never been a fan of cruise typical entertainment or many of the social aspects like dressing up, dancing, photographs, etc… I simply don’t miss them and am happy they are not part of the fare structure now and hopefully won’t return. I would rather have my money spent on other amenities or features.  It is all perspective and preferences not necessarily a negative.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Agree, 100%. Crowded, but crew is fantastic!

We were on the Carnival Breeze over Christmas 2018.  Now that was crowded!  They said there were 4,800+ pax onboard vs 3,690 double occupancy...130+%.  Tons of kids and strollers bumping into you but you could still find quiet areas if you knew were to look.