Accessible Power Wheelchair or Electric Scooter

Pioneer327

We will need a electric scooter or power wheelchair for our cruise. Looking for some recommendations before we rent one or the other. We will be in a mini suite that is Accessible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. See you on Dec 03 2022 Can't wait.

For those under 250 lbs I'd recommend Go-Go Pride Scooter.  Definitely rent from Princess vendor off their website that way it will be on board for you.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/?accordion=accessible-cruising

DW's Go-Go will fit in the closet or along the entry wall.

• Like 1

If this is a first time event for you, I would like to suggest that you rent one locally and practice operating it.  You do not want to be spending your cruise time sitting in your room reading the operating manual on how to charge the battery, etc. 

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4x4bob said:

If this is a first time event for you, I would like to suggest that you rent one locally and practice operating it.  You do not want to be spending your cruise time sitting in your room reading the operating manual on how to charge the battery, etc. 

Bob

An excellent idea for anyone renting an ecv if they haven't used them before. Not just for battery recharging, but to learn how to drive the thing. How to steer, back up, and slow the he'll down so you don't run into people or run over their feet!  You can just go to your local big box stores and use one of their's  to get comfortable with the controls and operating it with a lot of other people around.

• Like 1

You did not mention why you needed an electric conveyance vehicle for your cruise but if you will continue cruising or going on vacations or shopping trips I would suggest that you look into buying one.   Amazon or other suppliers have a wide range of scooters and wheel chairs to choose from and we have learned that it is cheaper to purchase one then to continue renting them.  

My wife is disabled and has trouble walking.  We rented one time (Special Needs at Sea) but then found that it worked so well that we purchased a Drive Scooter from Amazon for the same price as it would be to rent one about 3 times.  My wife loves having hers when we go on cruises or when we go to the various parks in Orlando with the grand kids.  She also uses it when we go shopping and it has become an integral part of our trip packing list.

We have had it for over 7 years now and except for a change of batteries about a year ago it has performed flawlessly.

As a last thought, may I suggest that you look at 4 wheel models instead of 3 wheel because of the better stability.

• Like 3

We have always rented the Scooter - either from Scootaround or SpecialNeedsatSea, depending on pricing.  Although purchasing maybe be the more economical option, we generally have to fly to wherever the ship leaves from and I am not able to lug or lift the equipment around (my DH uses the scooter).  I would not be able to lift it into the car, either.  We don't have anywhere to store it when not in use.  For us, for those reasons, we're happy to rent and not have to deal with it when we're not cruising.  I would also add that often we're not able to get a HA accessible cabin.  In those instances, the narrow base (21"), 3 wheel scooter works perfectly - easy to get into and out of the cabin.

• Like 1

I understand that those who need to fly to a port don't have many options, in  fact when we where planning a trip to Alaska leaving from San Francisco, we were going to rent.

We do not ask for or get HA (accessible cabins) when we cruise.  We always get balcony or mini suites.  With the width of the 4 wheel Driver Scooter being 19.5", my wife has no problem going in and out of the room.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I don't need one, but am curious as to what the per day charge range might be.  Thank you

You can go to the websites of the companies previously mentioned.  Prices will vary  by type of vehicle, location of port, and length of cruise.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

You can go to the websites of the companies previously mentioned.  Prices will vary  by type of vehicle, location of port, and length of cruise.

I tried that.  They wanted too much information.  So I just gave up.  As I mentioned, just curious.  I know that Disneyland charges and arm and a leg for one day rentals.

• 2 weeks later...

We chose to rent a scooter from Scootaround. We live in New Mexico and our cruise leaves from Southampton and ends in Rome. Our total cost for the 10 full days is $590, that includes damage insurance, a one way fee, cancellation fee and scooter rental ($425). It is for use only on the ship by my husband who has spinal muscle spasm issues. Costly but worth it for his freedom to roam. We have a walker and walking poles for on land. 

• Like 1

According to motorized rides web site:

The Price of Mobility Scooter Rentals

Different shops will have different prices but they typically fall into the same range with good consistency.

• For a daily rental, mobility scooters can be rented for about $30 a day.
  • For weekly rental, mobility scooters can be rented for about $125 per week.
  • For a monthly rental, mobility scooters can be rented for about $300 a month.

These prices will be determined by what kind of model you choose, how many accessories it has, whether or not it is considered heavy-duty, etc.

• Like 1