Almost Live: Northern Isles on Rotterdam August 28th 2022

VMax1700

2 hours ago, LVWineaux said:

Starting with dessert is always a good idea!

Thanks for the MDR menus and the Lido signs.

They were closest to the entrance (which by default makes them closest to the exit too!), but at least you know what is coming! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tendering today in South Queensferry was a lot better as they used 2 local ferry boats as tenders.  The two ferries were about the same size as the large tenders used on Half Moon Cay.

Using these during the peak hours and to transport those with HAL excursions really worked.

20220909_130529.thumb.jpg.768a8166da276e178e08689f7cda8b4f.jpg

DSCN2908.thumb.JPG.f5a2e4902c12495f3bdc103ad18f1d71.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

to see if they sell Marlboro cigarettes (if so, are they made in USA or Switzerland?).

Confirmed that they sell Marlboro cigarettes, Red and Gold (and Menthol).

Unable to confirm the country of manufacture as it is not stated on the outer wrapper, but I would be 95% certain they are American as it mentions "Surgeon General's Warning" and also "U.S. tax  exempt - For use outside U.S."  

Pricing is marked as "Buy 3 get 1 free or $50 each".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

South Queensferry,

20220909_130032.thumb.jpg.7540fadd1550f7eda77a5a129c3b050e.jpg

Did HAL have shuttle buses running back and forth to Edinburgh from South Queensferry?  We'll be there next spring, and I can't seem to find info on how best to get around.  

Thanks for the great "Live From."  Your journey looks wonderful!  😊

12 hours ago, Cruisetrekker said:

Did you go to Loch Ness ? Any sign of Nessie ?? LOL

The monster was sitting in the bus, beside me. 😉

Yes we went to the loch and it was, well, the loch!  Beauly Priory was very interesting.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Did HAL have shuttle buses running back and forth to Edinburgh from South Queensferry?  We'll be there next spring, and I can't seem to find info on how best to get around.  

Thanks for the great "Live From."  Your journey looks wonderful!  😊

Hal did not provide shuttle buses in any of the ports.

There was a bus at the pier that goes to Edinburgh.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2022/05/cruiselink-x99-returns-to-queensferry/

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Confirmed that they sell Marlboro cigarettes, Red and Gold (and Menthol).

Unable to confirm the country of manufacture as it is not stated on the outer wrapper, but I would be 95% certain they are American as it mentions "Surgeon General's Warning" and also "U.S. tax  exempt - For use outside U.S."  

Pricing is marked as "Buy 3 get 1 free or $50 each".

My husband and I appreciate your extra efforts. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:19 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I just remember seeing the LG when it booted up but maybe I'm thinking of something else.  I'll have to pay attention next time on the ship.

A question about the mdr.  Was it open for lunch on embarkation?  

See #45 if you look very very well you could see that it was open for the Mariners lunch from 12.30 to 13.30.  To be honest I looked in my own WHen and Where to check the exact hours. In May it was 12:00 to 13:00 if I remember well.

On 8/31/2022 at 6:06 PM, VMax1700 said:

Navigator offers booking MDR only up to 5.30pm and after 8pm.  So the prime hours are not available to pre book.

Prebooking "in person"  or by telephone is the best and still only way we were told.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, VMax1700 said:

The tendering in Isafjordur (Saturday) was a disaster.  Unbelievably slow.

DW will not take a tender mainly because of the closed environment with too many people and the bouncing of the tender on the water causes her too much pain.  So, I waited until the CD announced that 'now is a good time to go ashore'.  So I headed to the BBK lounge where I was told that there would be a 30/40 minute delay before my group number would be called.  I gave the ticket back and said no thanks.  Then headed to the tender platform where I was asked for my ticket. Although there had been no mention of Priority tendering, I just brazened it out and said 'Priority tendering' and showed my keycard.  Success!  and I was on a tender were we waited for about 20 minutes whilst they loaded a few scooters and chairs and then some passengers.

I just walked around the town and sent some flower pics back to DW by Whatsapp.

20220903_120352.thumb.jpg.05aa1105a4270223cfb691e56a1d6944.jpg

20220903_120426.thumb.jpg.4c76030eaf9794674a864d667a6d9554.jpg

Before Covid HAL had a different meeting place for priority passengers and we asked which room we had to go now. Answer: just show the roomkey with the stars. More efficient too.