Canada Covid testing requirement, Inspire

Gcto

just got an email from Regent regarding an upcoming cruise from Vancouver to Alaska. I understand that Canda does no longer require a covid test to enter Canada, but does require a Covid Test when embarking in Canada. Regent advises to "complete a Covid-19 PCR test within 72 hours of arriving at the cruise terminal or an Antigen test from a lab or pharmacy within 48 hours of arriving at the terminal".  Does the Inspire Antigen Home Test suffice for this as the convenience to do it at home would be nice.  Has anyone done this particular test and how quick were the results. Website is a little confusing. 

TIA

I got the same email.  I would also like to know if Regent accepts the NAAT test in lieu of the Antigen tests?  A few months ago, Seabourn accepted the NAAT test <48h when their written requirements were the same as Regent's, i.e. PCR <72h or Antigen <48h, with no mention of the NAAT.  Will it be the same on Regent?  Both were/are for boarding in Vancouver.  Yes, we will have two Alaska cruises this summer.  I can't wait to get on the Mariner!!

In April, Walgreens let me schedule the NAAT test 3 weeks out.  They didn't and still don't offer the Antigen test.  Now they only schedule them 3 days out.  I will try to do that, but plan to have the Abbott home proctored Antigen tests handy just in case.  (Also, if still required, I will need the home (hotel) proctored tests to board in Miami in December anyway.)

I will be very happy when the testing requirements are eliminated.

• Like 1

Thanks Gcto for the clarification regarding Canada's Covid testing requirements. We recently traveled through Canada and did not require a Covid test to enter the country so I was puzzled by Regent's email delineating a testing requirement. We were traveling by plane and not embarking on a cruise; your information has solved the puzzle. Thank you!

On 8/26/2022 at 3:36 PM, Gcto said:

Does the Inspire Antigen Home Test suffice for this as the convenience to do it at home would be nice.  Has anyone done this particular test and how quick were the results. Website is a little confusing. 

TIA

Forgot to to add that we have done the Inspire Antigen Home Test. You set up a testing date and time, they send you the kit and on the specified date they conduct the test over a video chat. You get an email with the results almost immediately after the testing is concluded. We have used this process successfully for two Regent cruises and will use it again for this one. Hope that helps.

We flew up to Montreal this past Tuesday for a 5 day visit (our original hometown) and it was a breeze getting through customs, etc. We arrived to our downtown hotel and then......boom! I received an email advising I  was selected for a random PCR test and had to go back to the airport the next day to have it done (had to be completed by that evening). It would have been nice and saved lots of time and aggravation (so much traffic  and construction  to and from downtown and airport) had I been advised WHILE I WAS AT the airport. We had pre-advised we were fully vaccinated and double boosted but the Canadian Government still does these random tests, which take only a couple minutes to do then results back within 24 hours. A cautionary tale, perhaps, for those traveling to and through Canada. 

We also got same email from Regent, depart 21 Sep ex YVR.

they advise where you can do these tests at numerous various places, no big deal, get it done and all ok. I would rather be reassured everyone on board was cleared beforehand. 
Let’s enjoy our first cruise in a couple of years.

4 hours ago, Gpilon said:

...I received an email advising I  was selected for a random PCR test and had to go back to the airport the next day to have it done (had to be completed by that evening). It would have been nice and saved lots of time and aggravation (so much traffic  and construction  to and from downtown and airport) had I been advised WHILE I WAS AT the airport. ...

A good warning for your fellow travelers - the mechanics of the testing is that the email is sent within 15mins of clearing customs, so turning on a device, connecting to free airport WiFi, and ensuring you don't leave for 15mins is the simplest way to comply with the rules with minimal hassle.

All random testing was supposed to be moved off-site since it restarted in July - testing everyone inside the airports themselves was causing all sorts of logistical problems - but for some insane reason Calgary and Montreal kept the walk-in lab inside the airport itself. Toronto and Vancouver have their walk-in labs close by but not in the airport - regardless, the idea is that folks who get the email while still at the airport can visit them conveniently before they head elsewhere, but the Feds also have contracts with multiple labs across the country and can even ship a Telehealth remote proctored PCR kit to you (useful for Canucks living in small towns without a contracted lab).

If you end up already downtown before you check your email, there's a helpline number on the email and you can also dig around on this webpage to see which labs are contracted in your location (scroll down to Find Your Test Provider heading) then make an appointment at one of their nearby locations to cut down on your hassles - e.g. here in Vancouver you could easily pop in to one of several Shoppers Drugmart stores around the city, so choosing one in-between your hotel and Stanley Park or wherever you are going to be sightseeing minimises your delays. In Montreal other Biron sites can do the mandatory random arrival tests - this doesn't help you after the fact @Gpilon, but you could have avoided the notoriously omnipresent Montreal roadworks!

Good information as we embark in Montreal in a few weeks.  We are flying in 2 days early as I don’t trust airlines these days, so will either need to do the test in Tulsa the day before we leave or get one of those proctored self tests.  I did download the ArriveCAN app.  I put in all our info until it got to the part to enter your arrival flights.  And for some reason, it won’t let me en

ter a date beyond the end of August.  So I will give that another try when September rolls around.

3 hours ago, martincath said:

A good warning for your fellow travelers - the mechanics of the testing is that the email is sent within 15mins of clearing customs, so turning on a device, connecting to free airport WiFi, and ensuring you don't leave for 15mins is the simplest way to comply with the rules with minimal hassle.

All random testing was supposed to be moved off-site since it restarted in July - testing everyone inside the airports themselves was causing all sorts of logistical problems - but for some insane reason Calgary and Montreal kept the walk-in lab inside the airport itself. Toronto and Vancouver have their walk-in labs close by but not in the airport - regardless, the idea is that folks who get the email while still at the airport can visit them conveniently before they head elsewhere, but the Feds also have contracts with multiple labs across the country and can even ship a Telehealth remote proctored PCR kit to you (useful for Canucks living in small towns without a contracted lab).

If you end up already downtown before you check your email, there's a helpline number on the email and you can also dig around on this webpage to see which labs are contracted in your location (scroll down to Find Your Test Provider heading) then make an appointment at one of their nearby locations to cut down on your hassles - e.g. here in Vancouver you could easily pop in to one of several Shoppers Drugmart stores around the city, so choosing one in-between your hotel and Stanley Park or wherever you are going to be sightseeing minimises your delays. In Montreal other Biron sites can do the mandatory random arrival tests - this doesn't help you after the fact @Gpilon, but you could have avoided the notoriously omnipresent Montreal roadworks!

The airport was the closest test site for us. As mentioned, we are originally from Montreal so are intimately familiar with the city.  Unfortunately for us, we were through customs in a breeze….which very seldom happens. Agree…..one should wait 15 minutes or so to ensure you haven’t been “selected”.  Alas, it was a more than 2 hour round trip for a 2 minute test. Cut into our social time visiting Montreal. 

27 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Good information as we embark in Montreal in a few weeks.  We are flying in 2 days early as I don’t trust airlines these days, so will either need to do the test in Tulsa the day before we leave or get one of those proctored self tests.  I did download the ArriveCAN app.  I put in all our info until it got to the part to enter your arrival flights.  And for some reason, it won’t let me en

ter a date beyond the end of August.  So I will give that another try when September rolls around.

Rachel…..there are a number of issues with the ArriveCan app and in fact my wife went over to friends of ours here in Savannah this morning to help them with it as they fly to Toronto Monday morning to embark on a River cruise from there. As we found out, things still seem to be a bit “wonky” in Canada at this time. We hold dual citizenship and surprises still greeted us on our trip up to Montreal last week. Good that you fly in a couple days early…..where will you be staying? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RachelG said:

You can only enter travel date and finish ArriveCan 72 hours before you arrive. 
We are in Montreal now boarding Seabourn tomorrow. We did our PCR test Friday before leaving, got results this morning (negative). You have to complete ArriveCan before boarding as well!

Canada seems obsessed with bureaucracy and forms!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

The airport was the closest test site for us. As mentioned, we are originally from Montreal so are intimately familiar with the city.  Unfortunately for us, we were through customs in a breeze….which very seldom happens. Agree…..one should wait 15 minutes or so to ensure you haven’t been “selected”.  Alas, it was a more than 2 hour round trip for a 2 minute test. Cut into our social time visiting Montreal. 

Bummer on not having a closer Biron than the airport! Now, as natives, I do have a few Montreal questions for you: St Viateur or Fairmount? Schwartz' or Main Deli? Fatty or lean?

35 minutes ago, RachelG said:

...I did download the ArriveCAN app.  I put in all our info until it got to the part to enter your arrival flights.  And for some reason, it won’t let me en

ArriveCAN only accepts Trip entries within 72 hours - you can enter all of the personal info like ID, vaxx status in advance (and it's sensible that you have!) but you'll have to wait until 72hrs before you scheduled flight to be able to add that Trip. If your cruise also needs ArriveCAN (e.g. if it's RT, rather than a one-way that leaves Canada and never comes back) then the rules are slightly different - the countdown clock starts from embarkation day, rather than arrival-in-Canada day - but you likewise have to wait until just before the cruise to be able to enter the Trip. Note also that ArriveCAN only holds a single Trip entry - do not complete your Cruise until after you have been processed at the airport!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, martincath said:

Bummer on not having a closer Biron than the airport! Now, as natives, I do have a few Montreal questions for you: St Viateur or Fairmount? Schwartz' or Main Deli? Fatty or lean?

ArriveCAN only accepts Trip entries within 72 hours - you can enter all of the personal info like ID, vaxx status in advance (and it's sensible that you have!) but you'll have to wait until 72hrs before you scheduled flight to be able to add that Trip. If your cruise also needs ArriveCAN (e.g. if it's RT, rather than a one-way that leaves Canada and never comes back) then the rules are slightly different - the countdown clock starts from embarkation day, rather than arrival-in-Canada day - but you likewise have to wait until just before the cruise to be able to enter the Trip. Note also that ArriveCAN only holds a single Trip entry - do not complete your Cruise until after you have been processed at the airport!

Martincath…..for us, St. Viateur is the winner. In fact, we were traveling with friends from here in Savannah (Pam, originally from Wales, Tom, Ireland) and we visited St. Viateur with them for some fantastic and just baked bagels. The Bride and I went to lunch Friday (we always visit) at Schwartz’s……medium is our usual order. Always a lineup but in and out quickly. Luckily, we can order St. Viateur bagels here through Goldbelly and usually have some in the freezer. We head up to “home” often to get all our “food fixes”. 

22 hours ago, Gpilon said:

Rachel…..there are a number of issues with the ArriveCan app and in fact my wife went over to friends of ours here in Savannah this morning to help them with it as they fly to Toronto Monday morning to embark on a River cruise from there. As we found out, things still seem to be a bit “wonky” in Canada at this time. We hold dual citizenship and surprises still greeted us on our trip up to Montreal last week. Good that you fly in a couple days early…..where will you be staying? 

Thanks to everyone for the info about ArriveCan--and here I thought it was just me being inept. 

We are staying at the Vogue hotel which is a Hilton property as my husband is Hilton diamond (though I am currently at odds with the regarding another issue).  Good to see food recommendations as above and any others are appreciated.  We have been to Montreal twice but only to disembark a ship and fly out, never to spend any actual time. 

17 hours ago, RachelG said:

Thanks to everyone for the info about ArriveCan--and here I thought it was just me being inept. 

We are staying at the Vogue hotel which is a Hilton property as my husband is Hilton diamond (though I am currently at odds with the regarding another issue).  Good to see food recommendations as above and any others are appreciated.  We have been to Montreal twice but only to disembark a ship and fly out, never to spend any actual time. 

The Vogue is in a great location and is an easy walk to so many great restaurants and bars, and Uber is excellent in Montreal. We dined last Wednesday evening at DaVinci on Drummond St (close to Vogue) and it is a sensational Italian restaurant. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

The Vogue is in a great location and is an easy walk to so many great restaurants and bars, and Uber is excellent in Montreal. We dined last Wednesday evening at DaVinci on Drummond St (close to Vogue) and it is a sensational Italian restaurant. 

Should have mentioned that we have stayed at the Vogue a number of times when visiting Montreal. Last week we stayed at the Renaissance on Robert Bourassa Blvd, which has a very good Asian Restaurant called East on ground floor. 

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

good to know.  I had seen DaVinci online and it looks like a great choice. 

19 minutes ago, RachelG said:

good to know.  I had seen DaVinci online and it looks like a great choice. 

DaVinci has sensational food and service is impeccable. Would suggest if interested to get a reservation. If looking at Old Montreal (Vieux Montreal)….Auberge St. Gabriel is excellent. Although, virtually all restaurants there are great. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

DaVinci has sensational food and service is impeccable. Would suggest if interested to get a reservation. If looking at Old Montreal (Vieux Montreal)….Auberge St. Gabriel is excellent. Although, virtually all restaurants there are great. 

Should also have mentioned….the area around the Vogue (which has some construction going on to front of hotel) is very much English. If you have the time, a 2 hour walking tour by guide around Old Montreal is very much worth it. 

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

Should also have mentioned….the area around the Vogue (which has some construction going on to front of hotel) is very much English. If you have the time, a 2 hour walking tour by guide around Old Montreal is very much worth it. 

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

We also had lunch one day at Le Mount  Stephen……very close to the Vogue. An amazing original family home/building and sensational food. The history of the building and family is very interesting. Damn…..now think we need another trip ‘home”.

On 8/28/2022 at 6:24 PM, labonnevie said:

You can only enter travel date and finish ArriveCan 72 hours before you arrive. 
We are in Montreal now boarding Seabourn tomorrow. We did our PCR test Friday before leaving, got results this morning (negative). You have to complete ArriveCan before boarding as well!

Canada seems obsessed with bureaucracy and forms!

Although we were repeatedly advised that we needed to complete ArriveCan before boarding the ship as well as before entering the country, no one asked for our ArriveCan QR code when we boarded the ship. 

3 hours ago, Gpilon said:

Tried to make reservation at DaVinci.  Alas, it is closed on Sunday and Monday which are the nights we are going to be there.   Will check out the other suggestions though.

1 hour ago, labonnevie said:

Although we were repeatedly advised that we needed to complete ArriveCan before boarding the ship as well as before entering the country, no one asked for our ArriveCan QR code when we boarded the ship. 

That is because the details get attached to your passport electronically and will be seen by Immigration when you disembark entering Canada. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RachelG said:

Tried to make reservation at DaVinci.  Alas, it is closed on Sunday and Monday which are the nights we are going to be there.   Will check out the other suggestions though.

Rachel......believe you are a surgeon, correct? Should we ever meet up on a cruise.....my Bride was in healthcare her entire career and was part of Women Business Leaders in Healthcare so something in common

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:51 PM, czardas said:

That is because the details get attached to your passport electronically and will be seen by Immigration when you disembark entering Canada. 

Except we were embarking in Canada, not disembarking. 
Anyway, no matter, we are on board enjoying our cruise.