Oasis class small venues and wasted space

tx121

After sailing on all of the Oasis class ships, I’m curious to know why Royal has not expanded some areas to hold more seating capacity or changed the location of a venue. Most of the oasis class ships are split images of each other and the decor is very much the same. I know they wanted smaller venues so it seems more intimate, but when you have so many people onboard it becomes frustrating to find a seat. 

An example is the Spot light Karaoke / on air venue. To me this area is always packed and is a weird shape. On other Royal ships, karaoke is usually held in a large lounge like in the safari club on Radiance class ships or star lounge on Freedom / Voyager class. They should really get rid of the spotlight lounge and just have it in the Music Hall. 

The most wasted space is the Spa area. The entrance area is huge and there’s really not much there except the vitality cafe and the make up/ hair salon which is not really utilized or ever busy. A nice big lounge or the schooner bar (another venue too small) should be in that area. 

Entertainment place is the worse set up. All of the venues are way too small for this size of ship. Blaze has a terrible lay out and too small for a dance club, The Jazz club never has a crowd and should be done away with and sent to the Music Hall. The diamond lounge (formerly the comedy club) in entertainment place doesn’t make sense. The adult comedy should really just be done in the theater like they do on the last night since the shows are all the same in Blaze. To have a reservation for this seems to be unnecessary stress. 

One thing Royal did right was the new layout of the Windjammer on the Wonder. It is huge and nicely spaced out. I didn’t notice how much of a difference it made until I cruised on the Oasis and had to wait in line to just get in to the buffet.

They sometimes use the music hall for game shows but that venue is oddly shaped and has bad sight lines. 

im curious to see if the Icon will have larger venues that can accommodate the amount of guests onboard. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tx121 said:

The adult comedy should really just be done in the theater like they do on the last night since the shows are all the same in Blaze. To have a reservation for this seems to be unnecessary stress. 

Honestly, this depends on the comedians. 

MOST of the acts I've seen have real comedians who can improvise and customize bits of their show based on audience participation.  (Pro Tip: never sit in the front row of the adult comedy club if you're not willing to get picked on!)  You miss out on that when the show is in the big theater.  

Also, many of the performers have different acts -- one for the comedy club, and another for the theater.  In my experience, it's about 50/50 whether the end-of-the-week show is the same as the nightly show.  

Interesting observation on the Windjammer. We've only cruised on the Oasis (twice) so far and hated the Windjammer. It was always congested and those folks with scooters or wheelchairs had it rough. Very poor design. I hope the Wonder changes that you mentioned will alleviate that.

We are cruising on Harmony in December and have already planned to avoid the Windjammer as much as possible.

The original comedy club was designed to be small so the experience would be interactive and more personal.  In the theater it's harder for a comedian to gauge the room and understand audience engagement.  A smaller venue allows the comedian to feel the room.  

In large rooms comedians just hit the play button and speak the lines.  Sure there is laughter at all the predetermined places.  In small rooms a comedian can work the room and the performance can be steered by the interaction with the comedian.

If all you are looking for is someone reading a script just watch comedians on your favorite streaming source. 

• Like 2