Naples Questions

ajtraveler66

I cruised the Mediterranean with an alumni group in 2012.  The university had arranged all of our shore excursions through some travel agent.  There were probably about 25 of us and we traveled that day in a bus.

I remember our excursion out of Naples included Pompeii, quality time in wonderful Sorrento, and a tremendous lunch in Positano.  It was -- without question -- the very best day of our cruise (which included Rome and Florence, and a few other ports).

I plan to be on the NCL Star in April of 2023.  And would love to relive that experience, if at all possible.  Oh, I know it cannot ever be precisely the same--but the plan of the day can be.  I have looked at the NCL offerings...and I cannot find anything that includes the itinerary mentioned in the title.  Quality time in Sorrento seems to be missing if you want to include the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii.  

I, personally, could do without another dose of Pompeii, but two in the group have not seen it...and they need to.  And we definitely want to spend this day together.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  We will be a party of four -- all of us in our 60's to early 70's.  As always, having the assurance of knowing we will get back to the boat in time is of extreme importance to us...so we would want to go with a reputable tour company.

• ajtraveler66 changed the title to Naples Shore Excursion: Pompeii, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast

Keep in mind that tourism along the Amalfi Coast has exploded over the last 10 years since your previous visit. Traffic is much, much worse along the coastal road. For that reason, excursions now can not do as much in a day -- as there is more time spent driving. 

There are several reputable private tour companies that have been recommended many times over. I have been reading this forum since 2005 and I do not recall reading a single post from someone who was left behind due to taking a private tour at this port.  

HOWEVER (and this is important) -- listen to your driver. They know how to space the day in order to fit it all in, but they want to allow enough of a cushion to get you back to your ship safely. You may not get the same amount of "quality time" in Sorrento, for example, in exchange for getting back to the ship on time.  Don't ask them to squeeze outside their comfort zone.

• Like 1

We used Rome in Limo when Carmine was driving for them.  He now has his own company viaseeamalficoast.com

I highly recommend Carmine.  He will get you the best service at Fattoria La Tagliata for a wonderful lunch.  They have gorgeous scenery atop a hill.  

Edited by paylady

• 3 weeks later...