Another Insurance

9 hours ago, JohnGc said:

That is the way to go. Something we intended to do and the Covid got in the way and the start of 2022 the wife was unfortunate enough to get breast cancer and in the mean time when we were not looking we were in our 80s. Not complaining though, most important is I still have my wife who responded well to the treatment and thanks to the wonderfull staff at the Hospital.😊  As they say do what you can while you can.

Good attitude John.., you probably know I lost my wife from cancer in May 2020.  Our 50th wedding anniv was in June this year, it came and went like the wind.   Lucky I retired at 55 so we travelled every year.

All the best and stay safe.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Good attitude John.., you probably know I lost my wife from cancer in May 2020.  Our 50th wedding anniv was in June this year, it came and went like the wind.   Lucky I retired at 55 so we travelled every year.

Thanks Les, must have been tough  on the day of your 50th anniv. Just had our 60th wedding anniv in August and was grateful to get to it this year.  You must have many happy memories from your traveling days. Very very pleased when I read your post announcing your Sept cruise on the Coral, need to keep those down in the dumps away.  I am sure you will have great time with some of the CC members on there . Same to you stay safe. looking forward to hearing a report after your cruise. Maybe you can book another while on board.😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Depends on why you want Insurance. For example, I do not insure to be able to make "small" claims - I insure to protect us from "disaster" - so in regard to our house/contents Insurance we take the highest excess they offer. I have never made a claim on our house Insurance in over 50 years  - but have paid a small fortune in Premiums over that time - so now, if I were to have a loss of say $5000 , I can easily support that myself - however a loss of $50,000+ leads to the territory of disaster. An excess value of $5000 leads to considerably cheaper premiums. This "Medical only" insurances sounds good to me - I had never heard of it before. 

That is exactly my way of thinking. Medibank ( Zurich insurance ) is $1.628 medical only.  Australian post ( also Zurich ) comprehensive without cancelation cover $1628 with cancelation cover of $6000 comes in at $2389. Cruise Medivac cover is my main concern and a policy must contain that.

3 hours ago, Cbtours said:

All the best to you and your wife 🥰 you never know what is around the corner so make every day count. Hope you get the insurance sorted.

Frank and I both lost our spouses to cancer within three months of each other almost 18 years ago. We met right after that, (long story short - someone told the pastor of my church where I was office manager they should hear this “dynamo from South Africa” lol. he came and was invited back every time he came to Australia. Eventually me, who was never getting married again, found myself in love again and we have now been very happily married 14 years). We know what it is to lose a loved one so we definitely make we live every day as if it were our last.

99D3F569-0D59-4237-8F83-2AA156219851.jpeg

Its great that you found each other after both of your tragic loss. Your lovely photo shows two very happy people. I like the live every day as if it was your last, we should all practice that. Thank you for mentioning in an earlier post the 1Cover domestic policy with the $3000 excess on a domestic cruise when over 80yrs, it is ideal for my situation for my Jan domestic cruise. It makes the policy cost very reasonable. I can handle that excess if I needed to claim over that ( hopefully not ). Anything under that I would have the funds to cover it anyway. I wish they did that on International cover. All companies should give you the choice of that excess for the over 80s I am sure for many it would be a winner. Thank you for your kind words regarding my wife and I and the same to you. 🙂

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Sorry I know insurance has been done to the death but after being quoted a substantial amount ( nearly $4000 ) for a Transpacific cruise from Hawaii /Australia and high cost for airfares I have got to come up with answers if my cruise is to happen. By having medical only cruise insurance from Medibank there is a big saving to be had. Obviously not covered for flights, cruise cancelation, luggage, cabin isolation etc ( still have to look at pds ) just wondering if any one has considered this or is  it a big no no.

I wonder if it's possible to insure separately for medical and luggage/travel expenses. What I mean is, buy your comprehensive medical insurance with one company and then cobble together cover for the other elements from credit card complimentary insurance; airline or even another insurance company which is cheaper.

The medical insurance seems to always be the most expensive part when you're taking age and existing medical conditions into account.

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

Today i got domestic cruise cover with 1 cover, their site said they are doing international.

Unless they have changed their rules from other day, it was still no international for 80 and over. Just rechecked every company I could find before I took our an annual policy for Frank & I will use our cc westpac complimentary insurance. Spoke with them and they say no problem to do.

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Unless they have changed their rules from other day, it was still no international for 80 and over. Just rechecked every company I could find before I took our an annual policy for Frank & I will use our cc westpac complimentary insurance. Spoke with them and they say no problem to do.

I did not read the 80 bit. Sorry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruisine21 said:

I didn’t think that Insure and Go had automatically covered medical conditions.

You are correct. What I should have said that even applying for cover of some medical conditions that others automatically cover and then some not automatically covered the excess is much lower with Insure and Go.

Love that Insurance and Go when I try to get a quote on line wont let me go any further unless I put another person on the application that is younger than us oldies and even when you do that they wont Quote you unless you phone up, does this mean if my daughter comes she will have to hold our hands where ever we go and maybe feed us with a spoon !!!!!   Insurance and Go even states they will insure you up to the age of 100.  😡

3 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Love that Insurance and Go when I try to get a quote on line wont let me go any further unless I put another person on the application that is younger than us oldies and even when you do that they wont Quote you unless you phone up, does this mean if my daughter comes she will have to hold our hands where ever we go and maybe feed us with a spoon !!!!!   Insurance and Go even states they will insure you up to the age of 100.  😡

Very frustrating. They do state that they insure  up to 100 and I guess they do but a bit misleading and forcing you to phone is not good. Maybe they think over 80's are not capable of doing it on line!

• Like 1

I had the same problem with them.  I needed someone younger with me and even then it would not give me a quote for cruising.  Frustrating - then I found that hidden in their PDS there was a little item stating that they wouldn't cover anyone over 75 for cruising.  Always the fine print.  Went with NIB and got an annual policy so I don't need to worry about change of dates or itineraries for this summer.  Peace of mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

Frustrating - then I found that hidden in their PDS there was a little item stating that they wouldn't cover anyone over 75 for cruising.  Always the fine print.  Went with NIB and got an annual policy so I don't need to worry about change of dates or itineraries for this summer.  Peace of mind.

Is that Insure and Go?

3 hours ago, Ondine said:

I had the same problem with them.  I needed someone younger with me and even then it would not give me a quote for cruising.  Frustrating - then I found that hidden in their PDS there was a little item stating that they wouldn't cover anyone over 75 for cruising.  Always the fine print.  Went with NIB and got an annual policy so I don't need to worry about change of dates or itineraries for this summer.  Peace of mind.

Just reading the PDS for their Cruise Travel Insurance dated 8/6/22 it says "covers anyone aged 79 years or under at date of applying for insurance" and "maximum age limit for all policies is 79 years".

The latter seems to contradict their statement that they provide cover up to 100years.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

Just reading the PDS for their Cruise Travel Insurance dated 8/6/22 it says "covers anyone aged 79 years or under at date of applying for insurance" and "maximum age limit for all policies is 79 years".

The latter seems to contradict their statement that they provide cover up to 100years.

Travel Insurance for Seniors - Tips for Buying ... - InsureandGo

InsureandGo travel insurance covers senior travellers up to the age of 100. All medical conditions considered. 90 Activities free. Call us or get a quote.    Maybe only for non cruise insurance.
Edited by JohnGc

22 hours ago, NSWP said:

What a blessing to have made the most of those years NWSP 🥰

• Like 2

16 hours ago, valantine80 said:

I was looking at insurance offerings about May/June so have slipped up on the age.  Sorry Old Age taking its toll.  Head was spinning with all the options from different companies at that time.

In the past I always used Insure&Go but now they obviously don't want me.  About a year before lock-down they started making over 75's (think this was the age) wait till 120 days prior to sailing to take out the insurance policy.  I queried this and pointed out that many cruise lines start  having cancellation penalties 180 days prior to sailing.  Not fair either.

No more Insure&Go for me.  I do believe it is deceitful to advertise 100yrs and then have restrictions in the fine print.

On 8/29/2022 at 4:28 PM, Cbtours said:

After many hours researching we finally too k Qantas worldwide annual multi trip for 83 yr old DH unlimited trips up to 45 day max, full comp policy covering medical covid cancellations etc etc. pre existing we’re diabetes type 2, hypertension and cholesterol all very well control but all automatically coveted. $2597 which we thought great as it is going to cover South Africa 4 weeks, Syd to Hawaii return cruise, and Alaska cruise at least. 1 cover is great for domestic when you are under 80 but won’t cover international. 
some multi annual worldwide were more than double Qantas prices which are for over 70 as well so 83 was fine

We have three cruises booked for next year and I've been agonizing over travel insurance for the last few months. Those PDS's can do your head in.

But after reading your post mentioning Qantas I went to their website and did  a quick quote for an annual multi trip but the phone rang and I never finished it. About an hour later I got a phone call from a Qantas insurance agent. I had signed in to my FF account when filling in the quote so I guess they have all my details at hand. Bottom line, I was able to ask him all the questions that I needed  answers to and I liked his answers. My two main concerns were, seeing it doesn't mention cruising anywhere, were we covered for health cover at sea. Yes is the answer. Secondly if I test positive as I'm about to board the ship will I get any of my cruise fare back. Yes, up to $7500 per person. Our round Australia trip on the Coral is more than that but the most I could see on any of the other insurance sites was $5000.

The other thing which I'm sure most people know but I didn't, is even though my partner will have had his 70th birthday by the time we board our third cruise it doesn't change the cover as the policy was taken out when he was 69. We are are off to Antarctica in January 2024 so I will make sure I buy the insurance for that trip before his birthday next year.

I didn't even know Qantas offered travel insurance so thank you for your post. It was most illuminating.

cheers

Stu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Stuartm said:

We have three cruises booked for next year and I've been agonizing over travel insurance for the last few months. Those PDS's can do your head in.

But after reading your post mentioning Qantas I went to their website and did  a quick quote for an annual multi trip but the phone rang and I never finished it. About an hour later I got a phone call from a Qantas insurance agent. I had signed in to my FF account when filling in the quote so I guess they have all my details at hand. Bottom line, I was able to ask him all the questions that I needed  answers to and I liked his answers. My two main concerns were, seeing it doesn't mention cruising anywhere, were we covered for health cover at sea. Yes is the answer. Secondly if I test positive as I'm about to board the ship will I get any of my cruise fare back. Yes, up to $7500 per person. Our round Australia trip on the Coral is more than that but the most I could see on any of the other insurance sites was $5000.

The other thing which I'm sure most people know but I didn't, is even though my partner will have had his 70th birthday by the time we board our third cruise it doesn't change the cover as the policy was taken out when he was 69. We are are off to Antarctica in January 2024 so I will make sure I buy the insurance for that trip before his birthday next year.

I didn't even know Qantas offered travel insurance so thank you for your post. It was most illuminating.

cheers

Stu

My hubby is 83 and we’ll covered for everything and they were most helpful

34 minutes ago, Stuartm said:

cheers

Stu

Thank you for that valuable information.  I will certainly contact Qantas when I travel overseas next.  Do you know who the underwriters are?  

46 minutes ago, Stuartm said:

cheers

Stu

Hi

thanks for that, I have had a look at Qantas and noticed that cruising was not mentioned.   The thought of phoning and being on hold for ages was so off putting.  Lazy on my part.   

I think I might follow your lead!

thanks

Eileen

I had a look at NIB and it was more than Qantas although Qantas is wit

Thank you all for your information, we have 3 cruises booked over the next 18 months so am very interested in your findings.

MDH is covered with his credit card insurance but I am not so I looked at many companies and finally decided on Worldcare for our New Zealand cruise in January. I have pre existing medical issues and they have covered them all. 25 days, excess $100 cost just under $900 which was the best I could find.

Of course they might not be right for you and as always the reading of the PDS is mind altering!!

• Like 1

In my quest to find insurance and reading many PDS I have noticed that the ones that cover repatriation / evacuation from a cruise ship will not cover covid related /pandemic emergency. They will cover any illness or accident emergency. At my age I would have liked to know that was available. Have you guys seen insurance that will cover evac with covid ? I know Royal Caribbean stated they would look after any passenger that caught covid at their cost but I can not see where they mention if someone requires evac for a covid emergency.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnGc said:

In my quest to find insurance and reading many PDS I have noticed that the ones that cover repatriation / evacuation from a cruise ship will not cover covid related /pandemic emergency. They will cover any illness or accident emergency. At my age I would have liked to know that was available. Have you guys seen insurance that will cover evac with covid ? I know Royal Caribbean stated they would look after any passenger that caught covid at their cost but I can not see where they mention if someone requires evac for a covid emergency.

Hi John, I bought an annual policy from Cover More last week. It's my understanding that they cover evacuation due to covid reasons from a cruise ship. Some of their clauses are contradicted by other clauses. They say they won't cover pandemic related stuff but go on to say that if you read clause 'number whatever' it tells you they will in fact provide it. SO they do cover it but say it in a very roundabout way.

That's my understanding anyway - it's the sort of stuff that makes your head swim when you're wading through all these documents. Hopefully I'm understanding it correctly and haven't just done my dough on the policy (which got quite high when I added cruise ship and pre-existing).

I thought most of them had that sort of cover that I looked at - I was comparing the policies on other things such as pre-existing illness, amount of cover in $$$ for cancellation due to covid reasons. It's all become another level of confusing.

Pretty sure the ANZ credit card complimentary insurance covered it as well.