Enchanted Princess, Lamp USB ports will they charge a device.

Schonert

Has anyone had experience with charging cell phones, ipad, power banks etc using the USB port on the lamps in the rooms?

Wondering if they work to actually give your device a charge.

If they work we can skip the extra outlet splitter plugs.

I used the lamp to charge my phone the whole week on Discovery and when I was leaving I tried to pull my cord out of the lamp, but it got stuck.  This was my original Apple cord, it wasn't a weird off-brand.  I just left it in the lamp. Annoying.

6 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Not trying to sound like a jerk here...but what *else* would this port be used for if not to serve as a charging port?

I was worried as I have had a number of these lamps in hotels, not have enough power or the like to actually get the charging indicator on my device.  

41 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Not trying to sound like a jerk here...but what *else* would this port be used for if not to serve as a charging port?

Could be used to power a CD player, a fan, a white noise machine, a flameless candle, etc. Lots of newer items that rely on electricity are being designed with a USB cable that can be plugged into a port fixture or a USB power supply. 

USB CD player.jpg

USB fan.jpg

USP white noise.jpg

USB candle.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1

Oh, they do work for recharging your phone but don't expect it to be any where's near as fast as the wall charger that came with your android phone. It 's useful for over night charging, but if you want a quick charge just before going to a show or dinner, you'll have to wait 2 hours or more.

Bring your wall charger with an AC wall multi socket. 

Woods 6-Outlet Wall Tap with Phone Cradle

15 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

Could be used to power a CD player, a fan, a white noise machine, a flameless candle, etc. Lots of newer items that rely on electricity are being designed with a USB cable that can be plugged into a port fixture or a USB power supply. 

Every one of your examples describes a use as a charging/power port.  I stand by my original statement/observation.

45 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Every one of your examples describes a use as a charging/power port.  I stand by my original statement/observation.

Your original question only mentioned use as a charging port, not as a power port, which is how these devices use the ports. I was trying to help. I guess I should not have bothered to provide examples as you are now altering your original statement to make me look foolish. 

Lesson learned. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1