Family Cruise - All Adults

NiceAunt

Not sure where to post this, so thought I’d start here.  

Looking to take our adult children and their spouses on a Caribbean cruise next year..a family vacation.  Everyone is over the age of 40.    Prefer to stay away from the mega ships with 6,000 people.  Would like to be around or under $2,500 per person.  I realize it’s not a lot of info at this point.   Just starting to look into this instead of just renting a beach house for a week.  

Any suggestions as for a cruise line?  We have been on Sea Dream, Royal Caribbean and hopefully Holland America in January.  Sea Dream is out of the price range. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Price will depend on how many days.  Time of year also dictates price, but also choice of cruise line/ship.  I would suggest Celebrity, S or E class, although nothing wrong with M class, either.  Holland depending on how you like it…. No problem with Princess, either.  MSC has gorgeous ships, but are an acquired taste.  Come back with more specifications.  EM

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NiceAunt said:

Would like to be around or under $2,500 per person.

we are sailing on Enchanted Princess - 3 of us in an inside cabin for $2,500 total, Thanksgiving week, 10 days, Southern Caribbean. Not per person.

Of course, I booked earlier this year. Right now this same cruise is pretty much sold out, except for some balcony cabins at $2K per person.

Since all of you are older than 40, try Princess. Royal Princess and newer ships, please.

If you travel outside of school breaks, you will find fewer children and much better prices.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

The "kids" want to do it in November, 2023 for Thanksgiving.   I realize it may be crowded at that time, or limit our choices, but that seems to fit everyone's schedule.    

Does this help with any suggesetions? 

Edited by NiceAunt

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

It would help to know where you would like to sail from.  EM

Yes, that would help!   Anywhere on the East Coast is fine.   Our daughter has been surfing the internet and saw two she likes.

1) Celebrity leaving Fort Lauderdale on 11/21-11/30 through Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao.  (My personal favorite)

2) Holland America leaving Fort Lauderdale on 11/18-11/25 through the Eastern Caribbean.

Edited by NiceAunt

Of those two, I would prefer the Celebrity cruise, because it goes further into the Caribbean.  But I suggest you, or your daughter, or both…go to www.cruisetimetables.com and choose departure ports in Florida, choose when you want to sail, and see what else is available.  It will show you who is sailing and their itineraries.  EM

On 9/8/2022 at 3:52 PM, Essiesmom said:

Of those two, I would prefer the Celebrity cruise, because it goes further into the Caribbean.  But I suggest you, or your daughter, or both…go to www.cruisetimetables.com and choose departure ports in Florida, choose when you want to sail, and see what else is available.  It will show you who is sailing and their itineraries.  EM

Thank you!  Will do that!   Appreciate the suggestion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!    So based on everyone's calendars, we have come up with 2 options:

Holland America Neuw Amsterdam - 7 Day EC Cruise  to Bahamas, San Juan, St. Thomas, T&C

Celebrity Apex - 7 Days to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Puerta Plata

Both look very nice.  The Apex is a new ship put into service in 2021. 

I realize it's all subjective to what people like.    My husband is leaning towards the Celebrity because it's a newer ship.   My thought is the HA will likely be older clientele, i.e. not a lot of kids.  

Thoughts anyone? 

Many thanks in advance!

HAL…older demographic.  how old are you?  Is sailing with people your age a problem?  I’m probably a bit older than you, but those of us who came of age in the 60’s are broad minded, well educated, well traveled, interesting people.  We are not your grandparents.  If your kids enjoy being around you, they will like the older people on the ships.  
What type cabin are you thinking about?  HAL cabins are traditional, but most balcony cabins on Apex are a new design, called Infinite Verandah, mostly enclosed  with a window that opens.  Many on the Celebrity board do not like them.  If you were considering adjacent balconies and opening the dividers to make a connecting balcony…you can’t do that with the infinite verandah.  So, go to the Celebrity board here and read what people say.  
Just some items for thought.  

Thank you!  When I said HA was probably older clientele, I meant that as a positive, not a negative!  😁

I’m 62 and my husband is 72.   A few more family members are now joining us.   Other than 2 who are in late 20’s, the rest of the family are between 40-55,  maybe one age 80.   So no “kids” that we would worry about not having enough kid stuff to do. 

I hadn’t given much thought to cabins. I prefer traditional balcony or verandah-so I will definitely will check out the Celebrity boards. 

My husband and I have decided to do the Holland America Panama Canal cruise in January and it will be on the small ship, the Zaandam.  I think that will give us a good flavor for Holland America and then when we get back,  I can narrow it down better between the two.

Thanks again!

Edited by NiceAunt