Hotel in Santiago?

caledonmango

I have no idea which hotel.  However, it is very easy to get around Santiago, so I would just suggest that you consider a hotel in the area that appeals to you for your sightseeing needs.

I'm a fan of any of the hotels near the Costanera Center.  The area (Providencia) has a lot of shops and restaurants that are popular with locals.  And if you want to get over to the "Silversea Hotel", it should be an easy cab ride, as the other upscale hotel areas are within a mile or two from there.

• Like 1

I stayed at the Sheraton Santiago and was quite pleased with the accommodations, service, and the food that I was served when I dined at the hotel.  Didn't spend much time wandering around on my own.  I did a wine country tour that was simply excellent with a delicious lunch with local/regional items on the menu and a comprehensive city tour.  

I have heard that SS has used the Mandarin Oriental in the past, but not sure if that is the plan for this season. I booked an extra earlier day there with hopes I can combine the reservation once SS confirms which hotel they are using. 

3 hours ago, caledonmango said:

We are on the Dec 2 Silver Cloud Antarctic expedition cruise.  Does anyone know what hotel Silversea will use in Santiago, as we want to spend a couple of days there on our own pre-cruise, and would like to book in at the same hotel.

Most recently it has been the Mandarin Oriental, but you should check direct with SS.

11 hours ago, taxatty said:

If it's the MO, it's a fairly long way from the airport, but it's wonderful with excellent restaurants and close to some good shopping choices.

Perhaps compared to Miami airport, but SCL is not a "long way" away from the MO, or other hotels in that area.  It's about 16 to 19 miles, depending on the route taken.  Usually about 30 minutes, unless caught in rush hour.

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Perhaps compared to Miami airport, but SCL is not a "long way" away from the MO, or other hotels in that area.  It's about 16 to 19 miles, depending on the route taken.  Usually about 30 minutes, unless caught in rush hour.

We must then have gotten caught in rush hour when traveling from SCL to the MO as it took over an hour with heavy traffic most of the way. 

We're going there mid-December. Silversea still won't say what hotel they are using — in either My Silversea or in response to a query from our travel agent. It seems inexplicable that they can't/won't say,  because they undoubtedly have blocks of rooms reserved prior to their cruise dates. Maybe they do this to try to get passengers to book their extra nights through them? 

We were going to book an extra night on our own, guessing that it was the Mandarin Oriental; booking through SS was close to $100 more. But then I discovered that booking through SS, they waive the flight deviation charge and they include a transfer from airport to hotel — so it worked out to be less expensive to book the extra night through SS. (If you're not using SS air, that doesn't apply.)

3 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I'm booked on a February 2023 Antarctica trip and it specifically says the Ritz Carlton in Santiago.  

Hi Rothco1,

Did you find this information on My Silversea or through a TA? We are also booked on a Feb. 2023 Antarctica Cruise and it still says Silversea Simply Hotel on our My Silversea details tab. 
Lauranne

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:
6 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I'm booked on a February 2023 Antarctica trip and it specifically says the Ritz Carlton in Santiago.  

We are also booked February 2023.  No hotel is listed for us, but I hope you’re right as we are coming in a couple days early and have points we can use there.  Would make it a nice bonus for us.

20 hours ago, Lauranne said:

Hi Rothco1,

Did you find this information on My Silversea or through a TA? We are also booked on a Feb. 2023 Antarctica Cruise and it still says Silversea Simply Hotel on our My Silversea details tab. 
Lauranne

It's both on the My Silversea page that I have, under Bookings and "Details", and my Voyage Confirmation that was sent to me from my TA which she got from SS.

The hotel in Punta Arenas is still listed as a "Silversea Hotel", so I don't know what that is.  But the Santiago hotel is definitely listed as the Ritz.

I'm going on the Air Bridge trip.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:15 AM, taxatty said:

If it's the MO, it's a fairly long way from the airport, but it's wonderful with excellent restaurants and close to some good shopping choices.

The MO is indeed a bit away from the airport but it is in effect en route to the city from airport.  Also it is a very pleasant place to stay.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, labrasett said:

The MO is indeed a bit away from the airport but it is in effect en route to the city from airport.  Also it is a very pleasant place to stay.

Sorry, thats nonsense, the MO is a bit to the north east of the city and the airport to the northwest.  The drive is about half an hour but it is a good road and easy travel.  From the area of the hotel there is ready access to public transport which could take you into the city.

31 minutes ago, labrasett said:

25 minutes ago, labrasett said:

Sorry, thats nonsense, the MO is a bit to the north east of the city and the airport to the northwest.  The drive is about half an hour but it is a good road and easy travel.  From the area of the hotel there is ready access to public transport which could take you into the city.

And, to clarify, it seems that both of you are using the term "the city" to refer to the downtown area of Santiago.

The Mandarin, and many other hotels are in different sectors of Santiago (a city of over 6 million people), just not "downtown".  In fact, they are in an area that is, in my opinion, a nicer place to stay than in the center of town.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

The Mandarin, and many other hotels are in different sectors of Santiago (a city of over 6 million people), just not "downtown". 

Agree.  Santiago seems to be a different kind of organized city than other cities.  There are probably some who would not care for the section of the city where the Sheraton was located.  But, it met my needs.  What else does a traveler need?  

On 9/3/2022 at 1:24 AM, rkacruiser said:

Agree.  Santiago seems to be a different kind of organized city than other cities.  There are probably some who would not care for the section of the city where the Sheraton was located.  But, it met my needs.  What else does a traveler need?  

I tend to agree with the location of the hotels, the Sheraton was lovely with the San Cristobal hilltop behind and the distant views of the Andes, I was disappointed to find we were going to MO earlier this year but actually loved the gardens and the hotel was very comfortable.   Getting around in Santiago is relatively easy with good public transport and ample taxis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Staying at the MO this trip. Any neighborhood restaurant recommendations? 

Is that the hotel through Silversea or on your own? Haven't seen assigned hotel for my December Silver Cloud Antarctica trip yet. 

19 hours ago, sherylc said:

Is that the hotel through Silversea or on your own? Haven't seen assigned hotel for my December Silver Cloud Antarctica trip yet. 

We are coming off the Wind in mid November. I still have no idea what hotel SS might use. We're going to chill in Santiago for a few days. Such a great city. Yes it has had some issues, but hoping some of the shine is still there.  We got a great deal at the MO months ago so we grabbed it.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 11:27 AM, Rothko1 said:

It's both on the My Silversea page that I have, under Bookings and "Details", and my Voyage Confirmation that was sent to me from my TA which she got from SS.

The hotel in Punta Arenas is still listed as a "Silversea Hotel", so I don't know what that is.  But the Santiago hotel is definitely listed as the Ritz.

I'm going on the Air Bridge trip.

Hi Rothko1! I'm booked on the 4 Feb 2023 Antarctica Bridge voyage. I booked late so I haven't received the hotel updates yet. Did you get any updates for Punta Arenas? Thanks!

1 hour ago, engbland said:

Hi Rothko1! I'm booked on the 4 Feb 2023 Antarctica Bridge voyage. I booked late so I haven't received the hotel updates yet. Did you get any updates for Punta Arenas? Thanks!

I am on the same cruise.  I just checked and there is no update.  The only information I have is:

Feb 2 is Ritz Carlton in Santiago

Feb 3 is Silversea Hotel (I'm sure it is Punta Arenas although it doesn't say so)

Feb 9 is Silversea Hotel (I'm not sure but I think it is Punta Arenas too)