Deciding between two itineraries

Vineyard View

We are considering two different itineraries this next Spring, both of which offer us a mix of new and previously visited ports. Both very different from one another. We have never sailed on Seabourn so really appreciate any thoughts on itineraries and staterooms. 

Seabourn Quest RT Venice 11 day  Adriatic empires and Malta sailing 5/27.  We have been quoted a V1 on deck 5. The attraction for us is Croatia and for me Malta. 
Wondering if anyone has a done similar itinerary and their experiences?  Also, sailing forward on Deck 5. Does it make more sense to bump up a level for a more quiet experience given the back half of the deck is public space?

Seabourn Ovation (realize this is maiden season) 12 day Western Europe’s Historic and cultural icons - Dover RT, 4/23. Also either a V1 or next level up. Attraction is new ports in Portugal and France but weather could be a concern at this time? Also same questions if there is feedback on some of these ports and stateroom category. 

thank you 

Both itineraries look great and I think the weather shouldn’t be a problem … think April in Paris! Small villages in France are some of our favorite ports but Croatia and Montenegro are absolutely spectacular.

We like the best cabin available and it’s always worth it to get a quiet spot.

Both itineraries are wonderful but I would choose the first one in April -we sailed from Barcelona to Dover in late May and the temperatures dropped considerably as we went North.

‘Croatia and Malta will most likely offer warmer and sunnier days and will be less crowded than the summer months.

Thank you both. Really torn between the two because they both look amazing - they are definitely sharp contrasts to one another. 

Have you sailed V1 on Deck 5?  Would a V2 offer a considerably better location experience in your opinion? 

DH just looked at the 14 day British Isles option as well with a focus on Scotland. 
Decisions, decisions!  

Edited by Vineyard View

We would go with the Croatia itinerary, one of our favourite areas to cruise. It’s a really beautiful coastline and Seabourn calls at some of the smaller ports so it’s often the only ship in. We just sailed RT Ravenna on the Quest in a V1 on deck 5. Very good, quiet location. The only tiny downside is that the balconies are only glass in the top half. Didn’t bother us at all. Very handy for the forward deck 6 whirlpool area which is always quiet. Malta and it’s sail in is also fabulous.

As a Brit I wouldn’t recommend April for sailing through the Bay of Biscay. Could be rough and rainy!

Thank you margbem. I thought Seabourn was docking at Venice industrial port. So it is Ravena? 
when you say the balcony was only glass on the top, I am not sure what you mean by that? 

I was a bit worried about the weather on that sailing in April. It is the itinerary that has me looking, but I will keep that in mind. We will have friends sailing with us who do not have cruising experience, and rough seas might be a big minus. 

Can't comment on the itineraries or Ovation, but V1 - Deck 5 is one of our prefered suite locations. Less motion from choppy waters as you are lower down. No noise from public areas, very handy for the laundrette (if you intend to use it) and handy for staggering back from the club. The balcony safety rail is an all-glass affair on other decks. On Deck 5 it is roughly 3/4 metal, toppped of by about a 1/4 glass. It really is of no consequence. Only issue might be if you are in one of the suites very close to the bow, which have a smaller balcony and will have  more movement in rough seas. V1 suite numbers 523 and upwards, however are very comfortable and stable.

Some of their cruises are departing Venice and some Ravenna. We were scheduled as Venice but then it changed. Seabourn did take us to and from Ravenna so it wasn’t a big deal except that it’s a three hour journey! If yours states Venice then it probably will be. Look at some others for next year to see if they are using both Venice and Ravenna.

The balcony is as the photo below

E169D31E-62AB-43F4-99F3-83BD80FFAEE7.jpeg

Having just looked at the Ovation itinerary we really wouldn’t recommend that in April. June, July maybe. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any Portugal ports on the itinerary we looked at. Mainly France and northern Spain which because they are Atlantic facing have a higher risk of stormy/rainy weather in spring - totally different to Mediterranean Spain. Maybe look at the climate stats to help you decide.

Thank you all again. I may look at June if the group decides this is the area they want to sail. We just prefer shoulder season travel with less people and families. 

The picture of the balcony and description is very helpful. Thank you. It looks like it could obstruct the view a bit when seated? 

The itinerary does state Venice but I understand that can change. Flights are what I am thinking. 

IF you decide on Quest, our very favorite suite of the Verandas on this size ship is 621.  We loved the location.  It is next to an elevator (absolutely no noise there) and convenient for getting around the ship.  We would choose it again if on Quest, Sojourn or Odyssey.  

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

The itinerary does state Venice but I understand that can change

I've read that the Venice port authorities expect to have increased capacity at the Marghera industrial port by next year. They were expecting to be able to handle about 200 ships this year, down from 565 calls in Venice in 2019.

From Seatrade Cruise News, they had this earlier this year: "Together with the second temporary landing area at Intermodal Terminal Venice (Lombardy dock) in Marghera Commercial Port – where infrastructure works are estimated to conclude at the end of the month – and Fusina ferry terminal, two other landing sites with passenger terminals will be established at Marghera Commercial Port in 2023 and 2026 to support the redevelopment of cruise activities in Venice Lagoon."

I haven't seen any details published yet about 2023, but I think more cruises will start/end in Venice next year than this year due to added capacity at the various Marghera docks. 

Hi Vineyard View

We had suite 526 on the Quest to Antarctica in 2019, and 529 to Alaska on Odyssey last week.  If you are one who gets a bit of motion sickness like me, that is the place to be: low and toward the middle. 

From Hubbard Glacier to Inian islands a couple weeks ago, we had 60 knot winds and a bit of rough water.  I didn't think much of it but a lot of guests and some of the temporary entertainers were talking next day about how bad it was - they said they were close to the front. 

"Bad" was a day off the Chilean coast where the seas were high enough that the anchors banged against the hull every 20 or 30 seconds.  Down and in the middle payed off big time that day.  I agree with Flamin_June about anything higher than about 523, although I am jealous of those folks who never even notice the ship moving about.

The partial glass rail has been a non-issue for us.  We are seldom in the room as there is always something happening on the ship, or you are in port, or you are sleeping.  We had dinner on our veranda a couple times last week when we were slowly cruising scenic glaciers, and it was grand -partial glass rail and all. 

Besides, we were the only ones who had this view when we tied up in Ketchikan:

IMG_2796.thumb.jpg.f280d40d78a158eae94413567b18df17.jpg

Thank you all again. It seems from these two pictures that there are a couple different verandas on deck five. One picture shows a glass/transparent lower area, where the other appears to be metal/opaque. Does this vary by ship?  
We may need to bump up to deck 6 to avoid being too far forward. Slim options remain and deck 5 are all very forward with 509 being the furthest available. 
Apparently today is the last day for the current promotion. Does anyone expect a Labor Day sale?  We are still working with friends on a final decision, although I am leaning towards the Adriatic/Mediterranean itinerary. 

12 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Just booked the 11 day Adriatic on deck 6!  Yay! First Seabourn cruise! 
thank you again for all your assistance!

Now have a look at the Referral section at the top and get yourself some onboard credit!

Hurray!  You would have enjoyed either one.  Now you get to start planning all the fun stuff you want to see...  :)

Note that the Ketchikan picture also shows glass at the top.  But all you can see through the glass is the boardwalk alongside the ship.  So they are both the same configuration.

4 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Happy to work with you margbem if there is a benefit for you? Just lmk how 

Thank you, but we have referred a few people so have our next two cruises accounted for with onboard credit. There are lots of people offering the credit if you look on the Referral section at the top. Just go to the last page and you will be able to link up with someone. So glad you have booked. You won’t be disappointed!

Have just now caught up with your thread - if it were me, I would have done exactly the same thing as you have apparently done, end up more midship on Deck 6.  We did sail Deck 5 one of our first sailings, and while the more more metal/less glass balcony railing thing wasn’t exactly heartbreaking and wouldn’t necessarily be a deal-breaker, the all-glass seems just plain better, for us anyway.  We like to have breakfast on the veranda, and always have the curtains parted to look out at the glorious ocean, max view a large factor for us. Deck 6 is where we virtually always end up - center-ish, no forward/anchor/elevator noise, glass rail, but not quite as $$ as higher decks.  Have a great time, and would like to read reports of your journey!

And we vote with many of the others, Croatia and Malta are spectacular!

Thank you for that confirmation. I am happy that we made that move, and who knows if an upgrade might happen? That said, I am perfectly happy with where we are. 
I spent the afternoon researching ports. A couple I just can’t find much info on - Vodice &  Opatija in Croatia?  Maybe some of you are familiar. Ports of call section has nothing. 
and Sarande - well not seeing from reviews why Seabourn stops here frequently?