strenuous excursions

sfvacation

Thanks all for the great feedback.  I think I was in my own head about my abilities. I am taking my cruise in October so It seems the weather will be cooler. I have new sneakers per podiatrists recommendation and have been walking a few miles each day with out a problem. I got this!

• Like 3

Good for you!  You gotta try ... if you get 'out there' and it's too hot, too dry, too steep, then you can make other plans for the rest of your cruise.  As long as you working on your stamina now, you'll probably have a ball and consider those excursions just mild heart -thumpers.

• Like 1

We are doing a Greek Island tour which includes several days in Athens.  Both my wife and I are mobile but my wife is a bit slow.  What we have done is hire private guides for just the 2 of us at places where she may not be able to keep up like the Acropolis and we have told the guides why.  A bit pricy but at least we will not have to do any ship tours.  Just a cost of aging I guess.

DON

• Like 3

I think the very best way to determine is to read past reviews on that other well known travel website.  I am a walker/hiker and I have found most moderate but there is the occasional tour that is strenuous. 

Mostly you will find they are slow enough paced to keep up.  Always ask the guide for the final meeting point if you lag behind.  In Southern Europe sites your biggest walking obstacle are uneven walking surfaces.  Be sure to wear appropriate shoes.  You cannot believe the number of people I see trying to hike in flip flops, most recently in Denali on a trail with over 250 rugged wilderness hewn log steps.

Heat is another issue.  You need to carry a hat or an umbrella and water in Southern Europe.  It is a necessity.  At home in Texas we also use a neck cooling cloth when hiking after 9am in the summer

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, sfvacation said:

Thanks all for the great feedback.  I think I was in my own head about my abilities. I am taking my cruise in October so It seems the weather will be cooler. I have new sneakers per podiatrists recommendation and have been walking a few miles each day with out a problem. I got this!

If you don't mind, what sneakers did they recommend?  I have been using Hoka, but always on the lookout for options.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

If you don't mind, what sneakers did they recommend?  I have been using Hoka, but always on the lookout for options.   

It depends on you.  If you are buying Hokas go to a specialty running store or similar and have them properly analyze and fit you.   I like Brooks for their support but more importantly for their low weight.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It depends on you.  If you are buying Hokas go to a specialty running store or similar and have them properly analyze and fit you.   I like Brooks for their support but more importantly for their low weight.  

Thanks.  That part I understand and have been through the fitting process.  I've been in Hokas for a long time.   Brooks were among other options given, though I've tried them.   

I was just curious what other sneakers are being recommended by the Doc's.   

Just now, ldubs said:

Thanks.  That part I understand and have been through the fitting process.  I've been in Hokas for a long time.   Brooks were among other options given, though I've tried them.   

My mom’s doc recommended Hokas .  I find them very heavy 

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I just bought upgraded to a pair of Hoka Bondi version 8.  They are pretty light (26.5 oz/pair).   They are lighter than the NB option I looked at.   The Brooks sound pretty good.     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I just bought upgraded to a pair of Hoka Bondi version 8.  They are pretty light (26.5 oz/pair).   They are lighter than the NB option I looked at.   The Brooks sound pretty good.     

Mom has diabetes and I think that rugged outside support prevents injury. I just find that I am far less tired after  walking and running in lightweight shoes and brooks somehow find a way to get support in the shoe without weight.  I bought a bunch of pure flows when they discontinued but your shoe person can recommend something similar.  My nephew, an Olympic athlete, owns a shoe store and he takes care of my feet

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The Hokas I have are very lightweight. They're like 8 oz per shoe (Hoka Clifton 8, womens), feels like no weight at all. Just wish they had a smaller profile, they do make my feet look large. However, I have two pairs because they are so comfortable....

Edited by cruisemom42

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

The Hokas I have are very lightweight. They're like 8 oz per shoe (Hoka Clifton 8, womens), feels like no weight at all. Just wish they had a smaller profile, they do make my feet look large. However, I have two pairs because they are so comfortable....

The brooks pure flows were 1/2 that weight.  When I ran the brooks pure flow were my go to shoes.  Plus I have a very narrow foot and the brooks have a narrower toe box than most shoes 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Haha, I know what you mean about the profile.  The new model I just got are even "clunkier".   Looks like I'm wearing boats.   

• Haha 1

Just now, ldubs said:

Haha, I know what you mean about the profile.  The new model I just got are even "clunkier".   Looks like I'm wearing boats.   

They are ugly.  Try on some brooks or saucony.  They have some beautiful, sleek shoes made for serious foot action.   Try the runners as they tend to be the sleekest

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

They are ugly.  Try on some brooks or saucony.  They have some beautiful, sleek shoes made for serious foot action.   Try the runners as they tend to be the sleekest

Aw, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Haha,   One of the kid's calls them the "old man's shoes".     Still, they work pretty well for me.   

37 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Aw, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Haha,   One of the kid's calls them the "old man's shoes".     Still, they work pretty well for me.   

I see a lot of young people wearing them around here. Apparently some collect the more odd and colorful versions...

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

I see a lot of young people wearing them around here. Apparently some collect the more odd and colorful versions...

Oh for sure.  They have some pretty bright colors.  I see a lot of young folk wearing them.   I guess I'm the "old man" being referred to - Haha.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

The brooks pure flows were 1/2 that weight.  When I ran the brooks pure flow were my go to shoes.  Plus I have a very narrow foot and the brooks have a narrower toe box than most shoes 

Not sure which Pureflows you wore, but this chart suggests that the Hoka Cliftons are pretty comparable to the Pureflow in weight:

image.thumb.png.eb898d7491fa332362842f1f8d24b40f.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not sure which Pureflows you wore, but this chart suggests that the Hoka Cliftons are pretty comparable to the Pureflow in weight:

image.thumb.png.eb898d7491fa332362842f1f8d24b40f.png

The new version is clunkier.  And they also deleted many of the fluorescent colors and accents which were great for early morning runners 

Consider searching for these excursions on You Tube.  You'll likely find videos of these areas, and you'll be able to judge for yourself whether it's within your comfort zone. 

And, as others have said, set yourself up for success by wearing good, sturdy walking shoes.  Carry a light, no-hands bag and a water bottle.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 10:56 AM, ldubs said:

I think that health professionals recommend 'new sneakers' often, because people tend to wear comfortable ones for years, and the support breaks down.  So not a particular brand, but a recommendation to get new ones for better support. 

• Like 1

We are doing a Greek Island tour which includes several days in Athens.  Both my wife and I are mobile but my wife is a bit slow.  What we have done is hire private guides for just the 2 of us at places where she may not be able to keep up like the Acropolis and we have told the guides why.  A bit pricy but at least we will not have to do any ship tours.  Just a cost of aging I guess.

DON

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I think that health professionals recommend 'new sneakers' often, because people tend to wear comfortable ones for years, and the support breaks down.  So not a particular brand, but a recommendation to get new ones for better support. 

Thanks.  When I said I've been in Hokas for a long time, I meant the brand.   They do break down.  I have to update from time to time but probably not as often as I should.  

• Like 1