Made an error and booked a cruise using my Chase points!

tbmrt

I booked a 3 night cruise using my Chase Reserve points and a small some of money charged on the Chase credit card.

Yesterday,  due to new circumstances I decided to book a 4 night cruise instead (Same ship).  I called Chase Travel and an agent who seemed unsure of herself and asked someone else for help told me that there was no way my points could transfer to 4 night cruise.  So if I wanted to book the 4 nighter I'd have to pay the whole cruise upfront which I do not want to do.  

I'm very disappointed and will lose the cruiseline's promotional rate and unless I book the 4 nighter today.  

I'm wondering if the information Chase Travel gave me is correct.  Has this situation happened to anyone on these boards?

Thanks

Edited by tbmrt
Wanted to follow this thread

We have not booked a cruise using points, but have booked other travel.  We got the points back for cancellations.  That of course would not apply to non-refundable bookings.   I might take a look at the agreement and give chase another call.   

Thanks for bringing this up.  If there is some fine print regarding cruise bookings, I would like to know about it.  

I have booked and cancelled air and hotel arrangements with points, that were to the embarcation and end points of a cruise (that I later cancelled) , and I had no problem cancelling them. However I made sure they WERE refundable when I made them, and possibly even paid a higher price to make sure that was true. (Sorry not more clear on the details, I have made and cancelled so much travel in the last 2.5 years it's hard to remember everything!)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tbmrt said:

I booked a 3 night cruise using my Chase Reserve points and a small some of money charged on the Chase credit card.

Yesterday,  due to new circumstances I decided to book a 4 night cruise instead (Same ship).  I called Chase Travel and an agent who seemed unsure of herself and asked someone else for help told me that there was no way my points could transfer to 4 night cruise.  So if I wanted to book the 4 nighter I'd have to pay the whole cruise upfront which I do not want to do.  

I'm very disappointed and will lose the cruiseline's promotional rate and unless I book the 4 nighter today.  

I'm wondering if the information Chase Travel gave me is correct.  Has this situation happened to anyone on these boards?

Thanks

I can't imagine that Chase Travel can't do this for you very easily.  I hope by now you have phoned back and gotten an agent with some training, or one who knows her limitations and will transfer you to a more senior agent.  As for the 'promotional rate', don't let that stampede you into doing anything unless you're sure.  Cruise lines are awash with freebies, credits and promotions.  Use the 'phone agent rule' ... if you get an agent that you don't want to deal with for whatever reason, politely excuse yourself, hang up and call back in ten minutes.  Don't ever take the word of an agent who is telling you something negative ... always assume that Chase wants you to be happy and will fix it all somehow.  I have not had many problems with Chase Travel and my Reserve CC over the years, but what I've experienced has been exemplary customer service.   If this is a 'booze cruise', read the terms & conditions, cancel it; just don't book it at all. 

Edited by jsn55
thought
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Use the 'phone agent rule' ... if you get an agent that you don't want to deal with for whatever reason, politely excuse yourself, hang up and call back in ten minutes.  Don't ever take the word of an agent who is telling you something negative ... always assume that Chase wants you to be happy and will fix it all somehow

I wonder if a Chase Bank Manager would be helpful.  Particularly, if one has an account(s) other than just credit cards with them.  Sometimes, my branch Bank Manager has done some things that I didn't expect that certainly benefited me.  Doesn't hurt to ask!  

• Like 1

Too late now, but I'm wondering if the issue was with "transferring" the points from an existing booking to another, vs cancelling and rebooking with the refunded points.   I can understand why transferring already spent points would not work.  

• Like 1