Caribbean Excursion Recommendations

rgoldstein86

My wife and I will be joining the HAL Rotterdam in November for the Southern Caribbean cruise with stops at Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, DR, Curacao, Bonaire & Aruba. We are looking for some recommendations for HAL excursions at some of these locations - especially Amber Cove and Bonaire, but are open to anything if it's outstanding. Has anyone done anything really great? Anything really bad which we should avoid? I know we can book via 3rd parties, as well, but for the purpose of this post, I would appreciate keeping recommendations focused on HAL-excursions. A little about us - we are in our 30s and in decent shape to be able to do anything we want but are not super adventurous by nature. We have thought about snorkeling but don't know which locations/options are best. I do no not want to limit our options, though, other than understanding that we're not wired to be jumping off waterfalls or learning to scuba dive.

Any recommendations/guidance would be greatly appreciated. We're so excited!!

Snorkeling is excellent in Bonaire!  

Not a fan of the Amber Cove stop.  We usually get off, walk around a bit and then return to the uncrowned ship to relax by the pool and have a massage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Half Moon is really the beach.  Aruba tour around the island, same with Curacao. Haven't been to Bonaire. You might want to check out YouTube for some ideas....ParoDeeJay (cruise news) has some interesting reports on some of the Ports you are asking about. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

We’ve rented a car at Amber Cove and gone off exploring to good success- going east from the cruise center. 

on T and C, choices are kind of limited - beach, boat, or tram tour. If you elect to take the tram tour. Be sure to buy some conch frittters when you stop. 

• Thanks 1

We usually just grab a cab and go to the beach, unless you are at Half Moon and Grand Turk.  The beaches are right there.  I've always felt those ports are pretty safe. However, if you get a chance for a catamaran sail and snorkle, do it; it's fun.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Snorkeling is excellent in Bonaire!  

Not a fan of the Amber Cove stop.  We usually get off, walk around a bit and then return to the uncrowned ship to relax by the pool and have a massage.

I've gotta agree with Tina.  Book snorkeling in Bonaire, specifically drift snorkeling with the local tour companies.  We did that once, even though I sink like a rock in deep water.  Just wear one of their float devices.   They take you to Klein Bonaire and I believe lunch was included too.  I remember we saw a sea turtle in that area.  Very cool!  Check out YouTube for videos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi rgoldstein86!

We are on this cruise with you. 

Our group has booked the Flavors & Traditions of Puerto Plata as it has some interesting things we would like to see.  We also may want a break from the beach 😎 that day!

(We are all looking forward to the beach at Half Moon Cay to start out our trip.  We all have the Clamshell Sunshade booked).

We are all doing an Island tour and Beach Drop Off for Bonaire.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 2BSailin said:

Our group has booked the Flavors & Traditions of Puerto Plata as it has some interesting things we would like to see. 

I took this tour off a Celebrity ship earlier this year and really enjoyed it a lot.

I usually do private tours, but as it was my first visit to PP, I wanted an overview of the city, and it was a great one. 

So much to see and do, I was amazed and how affordable it was. 

I wrote some notes about it on the Dominican Republic board, in response to someone who inquired about cigar making opportunities there. 

@rgoldstein86, have you checked the Port of Call boards for the individual stops?  That is really the best place to read about recommendations. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Like 4

Thanks everyone for the input so far. The snorkeling in Bonaire sounds great - does anyone have a specific excursion they enjoyed? It looks like there are a number of options for that port.

@EatonDoolittle - I had not seen those boards so thank you. The reason I posted here, though, is that I'm hoping for HAL-specific excursions and not 3rd party options. I'll certainly look through but figured the knowledgeable folks in here might be able to be more direct about what is offered from HAL. It's not going to help me (for these purposes) to know which Celebrity excursions were great since they will likely not (all) be offered on our cruise.

I'm interested in Aruba and Curacao ideas!  When we stopped at Amber Cove, we made that a beach day...sat and relaxed.  Half Moon Key has also been a beach day!  The lunch there is very good.  We have done lots of walking there.  The beach is great to walk.  This year we're doing a 10 day cruise that includes a partial Panama Canal transit!  

2 hours ago, rgoldstein86 said:

Thanks everyone for the input so far. The snorkeling in Bonaire sounds great - does anyone have a specific excursion they enjoyed? It looks like there are a number of options for that port.

@EatonDoolittle - I had not seen those boards so thank you. The reason I posted here, though, is that I'm hoping for HAL-specific excursions and not 3rd party options. I'll certainly look through but figured the knowledgeable folks in here might be able to be more direct about what is offered from HAL. It's not going to help me (for these purposes) to know which Celebrity excursions were great since they will likely not (all) be offered on our cruise.

I think we are on the same cruise as you.   With our booking they had the option to look at all the excursions at all the ports offered by HAL.   There are lots of choices at all the ports.   Maybe you have seen them but if not, you could check it out.

3 hours ago, rgoldstein86 said:

It's not going to help me (for these purposes) to know which Celebrity excursions were great since they will likely not (all) be offered on our cruise.

@2BSailin mentioned they were on your cruise, and the one I did on Celebrity had the exact same name as the one they booked.  It is safe to assume that it is the same tour. 

Different cruise lines frequently offer the very same tours, same operators, although your particular date may be all passengers from your ship . It also may not. 

3 hours ago, rgoldstein86 said:

I looked at the excursions for the port of Kralendijk, Bonaire and see a couple that mention snorkeling at Klein Bonaire.  If you want a ship's tour, I suggest you look at those.

My husband and I enjoyed the Antilla shipwreck snorkel in Aruba offered through HAL as an excursion.  The ship was scuttled and no one lost a life, so we felt snorkeling would not be disrespectful.  We were able to snorkel the full time allotted, but many returned to the boat for refreshments.  The tour seemed to appeal to a variety of water skill levels, basic to advanced. By far, the best tour we have taken from a cruise ship.

Edited by Tradestock
typo
  • Like 1

I’m Amber Cove go to the Damagua Falls. It is fantastic and bucket list material. You have to be somewhat in shape for it’s semi strenuous but worth it. We did it 2 months ago. It was not a ship excursion and we have been on 20 cruises and have 

never done a a ship excursion and never missed the boat

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

If you like snorkeling we can highly recommend the Woodwind.  They give the best safety brief we have ever had on a snorkel tour, they have people in the water with you for safety and to point out things not to miss, 5 minute walk to their boat from the cruise ship.  https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

We have gone with Woodwind twice and definitely recommend.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, C&K2Cruise said:

I have snorkeled throughout the Caribbean over the last 20+ years and Woodwind is by far the best of all the companies.  They are safety conscious and their guides get in the water with you and point out things you would normally miss. Saw lots of different fish and also a few turtles. Don't worry if it rains. Once you are in the water you will be warm and the rain doesn't affect the underwater visibility.  Have fun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C&K2Cruise said:

We used Woodwind a few years ago and concur.  They are amazing, especially if you are snorkeling newbies.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

If you like snorkeling we can highly recommend the Woodwind.  They give the best safety brief we have ever had on a snorkel tour, they have people in the water with you for safety and to point out things not to miss, 5 minute walk to their boat from the cruise ship.  https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

I looked up Woodwind and it does seem to be a great trip in Bonaire. I've reached out to them for some details and plan to book it 🙂

We're planning to do beach in Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk & Aruba. Curacao i think will be a walking tour (self-guided) around Willemstead.

No plan yet for Amber Cove - I have some safety concerns about traveling outside of a group in the Dominican Republic. It seems like the area right off the dock is included pool, etc. but no beach - is this correct? Does anyone have any HAL excursion recommendations for that port?

8 minutes ago, rgoldstein86 said:

I looked up Woodwind and it does seem to be a great trip in Bonaire. I've reached out to them for some details and plan to book it 🙂

We're planning to do beach in Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk & Aruba. Curacao i think will be a walking tour (self-guided) around Willemstead.

No plan yet for Amber Cove - I have some safety concerns about traveling outside of a group in the Dominican Republic. It seems like the area right off the dock is included pool, etc. but no beach - is this correct? Does anyone have any HAL excursion recommendations for that port?

The pool area is a 5 minute walk from the ship - very nice - no cost - correct there is no beach at the port.  We have taken a HAL snorkel tour at this port and it was terrible.  Not safe and nothing to see in the water.

Edited by iflyrc5

13 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

That's the tour we took in Bonaire.  Since the original poster seemed to want a ship's tour, I didn't suggest Woodwind, but I'm glad they've changed their mind.  It was good having a person in the water with us.

• Like 1